There is no salvation outside the church

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Some verses on the importance of sacraments in the church.

The Church:
The One, Holy, Universal, Apostolic Church of God

1) Baptism:
A) "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he can not enter the kingdom of God" (St. John 3:5)
B) "That He might sanctify and cleans her with the washing of water by the word: (Ephesians 5:26)
C) "And such were some of you, but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and the Spirit of our God" (1st. Cor. 6:11)
D) "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (St. Matthew 28:19)

2) Holy Myron:
A) "But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things" (1st. John 2:20)
B) "But the anointing that you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him" (1st. John 2:27)
C) "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption" (Ephesians 4:30)
D) "They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads" (Rev 22:4)

3) Repentance & Confession:
A) "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (St. John 20:23)
B) "And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (St. Matthew 16:19)
C) "And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church, but if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (St. Matthew 18: 17&18)
D) "And many who have believed came confessing and telling their deeds" (Acts 19:18)

4) Holy Eucharist:
A) Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me and I in him" (St. John 6:53&56)
B) "And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to His disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body". The He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink, from it, all of you. For it is My blood of the new covenant, that is shed for many for the remission of sins' (St. Matthew 26:26-28)
C) "For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: That the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread. And when He has given thanks, He broke it and said, "take, eat: this is My body that is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me. In the same manner, He also took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My blood, this do, as often as you drink it in remembrance of Me" (1st. Cor. 11:23-26)
D) "Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner, eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body" (1st. Cor. 11:27-29).
E) "I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ" (1st. Cor. 10:15&16)

5) The Anointing of the Sick:
A) "Is anyone among you is sick? let him call for the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sine, he will be forgiven" (St. James 5:14-15)
B) "And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them" (St. Mark 6:13).

6) Marriage:
A) "This is a great mystery" (Ephesians 5:32"
B) "And He said to them, "Have you not read the He who made them at the beginning made them male and female". And said, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh". So then, they no loner two but one flesh, therefore what God has joined together let not man separate"
(St. Matthew 19:4-6)
C) "They said to Him, "Why then di Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?" He said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorce his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; And whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery" (St. Matthew 16:7-9)
D) But if they can not excerise self control, let them marry. For it is better to marry that to burn with passion. Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: a wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband, and a husband is not to divorce his wife. If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy" (1st. Cor 7: 2-14)
E) "A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; But if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord" (1st. Cor. 7:39)

7) Priesthood:
A) "And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself, and from them He chose twelve whom He named Apostles" (St. Luke 6:13)
B) "And Jesus came and spoke to them saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to observe all things that I have command you" (St. Matthew 28:18-20)
C) "So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you. As the Father has sent Me, I also send you. And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said , "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sing of any, they are retained" (St. John 20:21-23)
D) "As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them" (Acts 13:2&3)
E) "So when they had anointed priests in every church, they prayed with fasting, they command them to the Lord in whom they had believed" (Acts 14:23).
F) "Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy and the laying on of hands of the priesthood" (1st. Timothy 4:14)
G) "That the priests be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience" (Titus 2:2)
H) "And no man takes this honor to himself, but he who is called by God, just as Aaron was" (Hebrews 5:4)

"He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches" (Rev. 2:7).

Comments

• hey thats really helpful
    thnx mikhael.
  • Great Information,

Thanks a lot, btw, do u know any verses for Intercession?? Just Wondering..

In Christ,
    Mike
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=4;threadid=81;start=0#msg1682 date=1084451204]
    hey thats really helpful
    thnx mikhael.

Best Reference Is these matters is HH book called :Comparative Theology" and HH Book "Priesthood".

I purchased a CD-ROM called Altar to the Lord at one of the conventions. It has many other books as well and it has a good search engine.

It is produced by a group called "COEPA"
  • For intercessions...there area a lot of verses....

Remember in Revelation, when the angel held a "shooriya" and it was filled with incense that was the saints' prayers?

In the letter to the Hebrews (or the first one to the Corinthians...I don't remember) in the 13th chapter...Saint Paul says that we have "sa7abet shohood" that help us...the saints...

RFZ