Something interesting in Genesis 5

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi All,

Is it possible that God’s plan of redemption is right here at the beginning of the Bible?

A hidden message within a geneology in Genesis 5?

I find the following link to a video intriguing:

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e8045c3d3b1dd2e970fe

“Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing comfort.”

Comments

• It all depends on the interpretation of these names.

These are not the meanings given by Strong. Methusalah, for instance, is translated by Strong as 'man of a dart' not 'death shall bring'. Mahalaleel is given as 'praise of God', not 'blessed God', which also completely changes the sense.

I am always doubtful of such discoveries in the Bible by Evangelicals, and I was one. If none of the Fathers or Jewish tradition spoke of these interpretations then I am doubtful.

I am not qualified to say what is right, but I probably trust Strong more.

Father Peter
  • Father Bless,

Thanks for the correction.

I checked the meaning of the names at various sources.For Metusalah the meaning 'man of dart' showed up only once, while the 'other' meaning "death shall bring' turned up a lot. Could it be possible that the name may have 2 differnt meanings? Although I found the idea of analiysing Genesis 5 the way it was presented very creative, as you suggested, it is always wise to take wild claims with grain of salt.

I heard of a monk who reads the whole bible  every 40 days. The reason is , the more one reads with deep faith and humilty , the more God reveals Himself through his Word. Infact, St Ephraim said  we should invoke the Holy Spirit, before reading the Holy Bible so that He may open our minds and grant us understanding and wisdom.

I wonder,if our Church fathers had  penetrated very deeply into the truth revealed in the Bible? In other words, if the Fathers had  not left any interpretation or patristic writing of a certain verse or chapter of the Bible, does it mean, there are no more hidden truths in the bible that had not been already revealed?

God bless.
  • I see from a google that this idea has been picked up and therefore spread widely among certain types of Protestamnt groups.

That does not mean it is wrong, but it does mean that simply because it appears on many sites does not mean it is true.

I would suggest that we should try to access the academic Hebrew lexicons and see what they say. It will be interesting, and may show that the idea is based on reality.

Personally this seems to me to be the sort of thing that the Jewish scholars would have noticed many centuries ago. We could perhaps also access Jewish commentaries and see what they say.

God bless

Father Peter