Becoming a monk

2»

Comments

• Thats what I heard very recently from a monk that visited monasteries in Egypt and the US, he told me that if you were living in the US and wanted to become a monk that its much easier to join a monastery in the US because when you try to join a monastery in Egypt, they will ask why dont you want to join either one in the US. plus he told me that they require that you have job experience in egypt, which is very hard if you are living in the US and another reason like I mentioned earlier, pope shenouda wants to increase the number of monks in the US monasteries.
    However, that doesnt mean that it is impossible because if its god's will then it will happen. The same monk told me that a guy went to St Antony monastery in california and was not accepted as a monk but he went to egypt and became a monk in one of the biggest monasteries there.
    Kimo Maximus: what do you mean going into the wilderness? for how long?
  • watch QT's link and you will know.
  • ok, i would advise people not to go into the wilderness, alone, this is not monasticism but rather suicide  ;)

so 1st try 'serving God in the world' and being the best at whatever you are currently doing (work, helping your parents in their business, study, unemployment etc etc). if you see people are asking you things like 'why are you always so peaceful?', 'how can you respond so well when people are really mean to you?', 'why are you always cleaning up at church and in the houses of old/sick people' etc etc, then you know you are on your way to serving God.

also you should be the best flatmate, son, daughter etc. there is and always do more than your share of the chores. do good to those who do evil to you, and pray for those who persecute you.

ok, ready for so more?
    here we go...
    if you have money (i.e, you eat, keep warm, buy a few basic clothes and still have some money left at the end of the week), be prepared to give your money to God. only you and God can determine what this means practically, but if you are driving a new shiny car or living in a posh house with new furniture, then monasticism is not for you. if you have never tried living simply, it's best to first try it out short-term. go on a retreat with a church group where you are camping or staying over in a church building and wearing old clothes and eating cheap food, and then hang out with some people you would normally want to impress whilst looking a bit scruffy. see how you feel. are you shrinking with embarassment? then, again, delay your retreat to the monastery.

next,
    (this is a big one)
    are you ready for God to decide anything for you and to accept it? eg working in a manual job when you consider yourself smart, getting married and then not being able to have children, being busy bringing up children and giving up a fulfilling career, knowing the Bible better than anyone else in the church (you think) and never becoming a priest or sunday school teacher.
    that is, are you humble? are you ready to 'waste' your time in what looks to others to be a fulfilling career, even though you would rather be teaching in the church?
    God's way may not be your way. maybe you will meet countless people in the career who need to hear about our Lord and Saviour's great and wonderful salvation who you would not reach if you were in the monastery.

so, be ready and willing to do anything for God (even if it means staying where you are!) and you will be closer to monastic life.

the world needs people who are passionate enough to be monks or nuns but obedient enough to stay where they are, reaching the lost.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7971.msg103232#msg103232 date=1242617347]
    the world needs people who are passionate enough to be monks or nuns but obedient enough to stay where they are, reaching the lost.

Wonderfully said ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7971.msg103232#msg103232 date=1242617347]
    ok, i would advise people not to go into the wilderness, alone, this is not monasticism but rather suicide  ;)

so 1st try 'serving God in the world' and being the best at whatever you are currently doing (work, helping your parents in their business, study, unemployment etc etc). if you see people are asking you things like 'why are you always so peaceful?', 'how can you respond so well when people are really mean to you?', 'why are you always cleaning up at church and in the houses of old/sick people' etc etc, then you know you are on your way to serving God.

also you should be the best flatmate, son, daughter etc. there is and always do more than your share of the chores. do good to those who do evil to you, and pray for those who persecute you.

ok, ready for so more?
    here we go...
    if you have money (i.e, you eat, keep warm, buy a few basic clothes and still have some money left at the end of the week), be prepared to give your money to God. only you and God can determine what this means practically, but if you are driving a new shiny car or living in a posh house with new furniture, then monasticism is not for you. if you have never tried living simply, it's best to first try it out short-term. go on a retreat with a church group where you are camping or staying over in a church building and wearing old clothes and eating cheap food, and then hang out with some people you would normally want to impress whilst looking a bit scruffy. see how you feel. are you shrinking with embarassment? then, again, delay your retreat to the monastery.

next,
    (this is a big one)
    are you ready for God to decide anything for you and to accept it? eg working in a manual job when you consider yourself smart, getting married and then not being able to have children, being busy bringing up children and giving up a fulfilling career, knowing the Bible better than anyone else in the church (you think) and never becoming a priest or sunday school teacher.
    that is, are you humble? are you ready to 'waste' your time in what looks to others to be a fulfilling career, even though you would rather be teaching in the church?
    God's way may not be your way. maybe you will meet countless people in the career who need to hear about our Lord and Saviour's great and wonderful salvation who you would not reach if you were in the monastery.

so, be ready and willing to do anything for God (even if it means staying where you are!) and you will be closer to monastic life.

so true.
  • Thanks to God! and May God bless you!