Who was el habashi?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Agapy everybody,

I was watching a movie of a Saint named 'el habashi'.Unfortunately, the DVD gave up and I could not watch it.

Can someone tell us briefly about this contemporary Saint?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [quote author=Mozes link=topic=7962.msg102788#msg102788 date=1241825507]
    Agapy everybody,

I was watching a movie of a Saint named 'el habashi'.Unfortunately, the DVD gave up and I could not watch it.

Can someone tell us briefly about this contemporary Saint?

Thanks in advance.

it's actually abouna Abdel-maseih el-habashy. the word "hapashi" refers to a person who is from el-habasha; an Ethiopian basically.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7962.msg102789#msg102789 date=1241826011]
    it's actually abouna Abdel-maseih el-habashy. the word "hapashi" refers to a person who is from el-habasha; an Ethiopian basically

Oh thanks,that is what I originally thought too. They just put 'el habashy' on the cover of the DVD without any name.
    I have heard of Abouna Abdelmassih but not  much. I hope someone shares something about this ethiopian Saint who presumably lived in Egypt?

• Is Abouna Abdel Maseih el habashy the same as Abouna Abdel Maseih el Manahry?

• No I don't think so, i think they are two different monks
  • [quote author=Taishory link=topic=7962.msg102795#msg102795 date=1241830715]
    Is Abouna Abdel Maseih el habashy the same as Abouna Abdel Maseih el Manahry?

No Taishory, They are different.
  • The saint basically loved god since the begining. He walked all the way from ethiopia to egypt just to become a monk. However due to his ethiopian traditions , he didnt like staying at the monastery. He preffered to stay in the caves like the other ethiopian monks. I Heard he stayed temporarily in Baba Mina's cave until he was able to build his own. He knew pope shenuda III and he also talked to pope kyrellos. He decided one day , even though he was very ill, he wanted to go to Jeruslam. i think he said " the holy family came to egypt and went to back to jeruslam, i came to egypt but i also want to go to jerusalam"

So he was anxious to go there...so he contacted some monks at the baramous and told them that if they could ask the pope to send him to jeruslam.

Pope shenuda III agreed to send him by ship.

He went to jerusalam with another ethiopian monk and then he was never heard of again.
    He was a lovely aint...when he was in the baramous, they offered him a cell to sleep in , but he insisted to sleep beside the stair case which leads to the roof of the chruch.
    He did miracles as well.

May his blessings be with us all.

[excuse my spelling mistakes brother and sisters]
  • I heard this story of a priest that was so humble, and was so much filled with humility that he even performed miracles without realising it.

I'm not sure the exact sequence of events, but there was a time when a bishop didnt like him, and this priest was blaming himself. The bishop i think was jealous, and tried to put the priest in trouble with the Pope (i think it was Anba Kirellous at the time!). The priest just got an earful of rebuke and left, and started to say to himself "ohh -- you foolish priest, why are you so sinful! and he took a stone to hit himself with it (I think! well, it was either that or he threw it somewhere) - and then somehow it hit the bishop.

lol

I just heard about it, but I'd like to know if that is the same priest?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7962.msg102840#msg102840 date=1241897612]
    I heard this story of a priest that was so humble, and was so much filled with humility that he even performed miracles without realising it.

I'm not sure the exact sequence of events, but there was a time when a bishop didnt like him, and this priest was blaming himself. The bishop i think was jealous, and tried to put the priest in trouble with the Pope (i think it was Anba Kirellous at the time!). The priest just got an earful of rebuke and left, and started to say to himself "ohh -- you foolish priest, why are you so sinful! and he took a stone to hit himself with it (I think! well, it was either that or he threw it somewhere) - and then somehow it hit the bishop.

lol

I just heard about it, but I'd like to know if that is the same priest?

that's not the same person. this story is about abouna Abdel-masseh [b]el-manahry, or more like El-maqary.
  • I asked my tita this a few days ago and she told me they were the same person (and you know titas, they're 85.423% right  ;) ) .. can anyone differentiate between the stories, I'd like to know the difference between the two.

Thanks.
  • [quote author=Taishory link=topic=7962.msg102925#msg102925 date=1242055303]
    I asked my tita this a few days ago and she told me they were the same person (and you know titas, they're 85.423% right  ;) ) .. can anyone differentiate between the stories, I'd like to know the difference between the two.

Thanks.

abouna Abdel-masseh elmanhary/elmaqary was a monk who was ordained in el-maqar monastery. and then lived in el-manahra in the se'eed....i can't believe you guys don't know him. he's femous for always saying "ana 3ayez agawez" (i want to get married)
  • Abouna Abdelmessih hails from Eritrea ( not ethiopia),from the same village as His Holiness Patriarch Antonius of Eritrea. Their village has produced many Saints and it is said that God has blessed it.Abouna Abdelmessih trekked on foot the whole way from Eritrea to Egypt.I am not sure if he was literate,but he memorised all 150 pslams and most of the bible. According to a friend of mine, it is not out of the ordinary for monks in Ethiopia and Eritrea to know all pslams by heart. 

There is a prophecy about him and HIM Haile Selassie ,the former Emperor of Ethiopia.At the time,when the Ethiopan church was seeking complete independence from Egypt ,Abouna is said to have warned His Majesty Haile Selassie  not to separate from the Coptic Patriarchate of Alexandria.In other words, he warned of the impending division . Moreover,he had warned , that if the Emperor goes on with the plan, his kingdom will fall. The Emperor Jah Rastaferai did not heed to his advise and sought the independence of the Ethiopian Orthdox church in  the 1950's.At the beginning,the Pope  refused to grant it ,but Jah threatened that if independence was not granted, the Ethiopian church would leave the Alexandrian rite. The Pope ,in a bid to prevent major crises granted the request. As Abouna Abdelmessih prophecised,2 years after the Ethiopian Patriarch was formed, the Emperor was faced with revolutions and uprisings that ultimately led to his depostion and death in 1974 with almost all his family members either killed or fled the country.The unique relationship between the Ethiopian and Coptic church had  also suffered for 3 decades.

Abouna Abdelmessih  dwelled in desert caves. One of his miraculous story that I heard was that he met a wandering monk at night in the desert. As it was too late and dark,the monk  had to rest before he continues his trip the next day. The problem was he was in the middle of nowhere and was afraid to sleep on the ground,because the desert was infested with deadly scorpions and snakes.However, Abouna Abdelmessih assured him, that he should sleep on the ground and would be safe. Abounda  drew a circle on the ground and prayed and told the monk to sleep within the circle.The monk obeyed  and slept. In the morning, he discovered  traces of scorpions and snakes on the dust. None of them dared to cross the circle and bite him.

Abouna AbdelMessih the Eritrean

Abouna AbdelMessih el Maqari/Manahari

• the second picture is not Abouna AbdelMessih el-manahri. I think, not sure, it's abouna Abouna AbdelMessih el-mas'odi, which is a differnt person:

Abouna AbdelMessih el-manahri is him:

• I cant see your picture. I am sorry, I guess I made a mistake in labeling,but I am not sure. The 2nd person is probably the Silent monk, Abouna Yostos el Anthony.

A better pic of Aouna AbdlMessih el manahri:

This is Abouna Abdelmessih elmasoody,the first pic above does not look like him,but more like Abouna el manahri?

• Thank you Hezekiel, i guess my tita was wrong.. :(

And Mina, I know who Abouna AbdelMassih el Manahri is, I just thought his alternative name was el Habashi.. but its not. Good to know, thanks guys!

God Bless.
  • He was used as target practice by the German Army, the British Army, and the Egyptian Army, and never did a bullet touch him.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=7962.msg103029#msg103029 date=1242155481]
    He was used as target practice by the German Army, the British Army, and the Egyptian Army, and never did a bullet touch him.

WOW! i knew he was in the deserts during the wars.
    But WOW!