Christ Crucified

Brothers and sisters,

I am interested in the Coptic Orthodox Church and have many questions concerning the Churche's beliefs.  I would greatly appreciate any help from you, my brothers and sisters, in understanding the Church.

With that stated, according to the Coptic Orthodox Church, what was the reason for God to become incarnate and die upon the cross?

Was it in order to bear the punishment for our sins in order that we may be forgiven and saved?  Or was it a demonstration of God's love for us and a means by which God reconciled us to him through cloaking himself with humanity?  ???

Blessings,

Justin

Comments

• St. Athanasius' book "On the Incarnation" is a masterpiece which addresses this topic in great depth.
  • Thank you for that link. 

Do any of you know of any works by contemporary abounas, bishops or popes concerning this topic?

Blessings,

Justin
  • You could try searching on the Coptic Forums at www.coptichymns.net and searching for atonement, then you will pick up some fairly detailed discussions around the subject.

I don't think that it was an either/or in terms of your question. Orthodox see the incarnation as (among other things):

i. the Word becoming flesh to enter into a renewed conflict with Satan in which his temptation would be overcome

ii. the Word entering into all of our human experiences to transform and transfigure them

iii. the Word become flesh to renew our humanity and make it fit for the Holy Spirit

iv. the Word accepting an undeserved death for our sakes so that he might destroy the power of death

v. the Word resurrecting his humanity so that those who are united with the Word in his renewed humanity might also rise to life

and other things. In the incarnation God deals with our present situation of alienation from God by both entering into and consuming the true death we deserve, and by restoring our relation to God by making it possible for us to receive the Holy Spirit who is our true life.

God bless

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=7923.msg102693#msg102693 date=1241678081]
    You could try searching on the Coptic Forums at www.coptichymns.net and searching for atonement, then you will pick up some fairly detailed discussions around the subject.

I don't think that it was an either/or in terms of your question. Orthodox see the incarnation as (among other things):

i. the Word becoming flesh to enter into a renewed conflict with Satan in which his temptation would be overcome

ii. the Word entering into all of our human experiences to transform and transfigure them

iii. the Word become flesh to renew our humanity and make it fit for the Holy Spirit

iv. the Word accepting an undeserved death for our sakes so that he might destroy the power of death

v. the Word resurrecting his humanity so that those who are united with the Word in his renewed humanity might also rise to life

and other things. In the incarnation God deals with our present situation of alienation from God by both entering into and consuming the true death we deserve, and by restoring our relation to God by making it possible for us to receive the Holy Spirit who is our true life.

God bless

Father Peter

Father Peter,

Would you say then that Christ's death on the cross fulfilled both things?  In that on the cross Christ bore the judgment of God for our sins and cleanses us of all iniquity. In addition, through becoming incarnate and dying on the cross he has begun the restoration of humanity to their state prior to the fall and has reunited man and God?

Therefore the two views are not in opposition to one another but rather work together to provided a complete view of Christ's sacrifice on the cross?

Blessings,

Justin
  • I would not say that Christ bore the punishment for our sins on the cross, but rather that he entered into the consequences of man's sin by becoming our brother in all things except sin. The incarnation is the exercise of God's justice and mercy. It is necessary that man deals with the curse which fell upon man because of Adam's sin - but all have sinned and so are unable to deal with sin - except Christ who alone is without sin. But it is also necessary that the man who deals with the curse is also God so that in his divine power he be able to destroy death once and for all.

St Cyril and St Severus do not teach us that Christ bore the wrath of God against men, indeed the incarnation is a witness to the love of God for men. But God does deal with sin and turns his wrath towards Satan, the deceiver.

The incarnation has as its intent dealing with death, and renewing humanity so that united with him we might become holy and obedient. Christ dies the death we deserve but not because God is filled with wrath towards him but because he has entered into our condition to overcome it.

Father Peter