Why did God create Adam from mud?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was wondering why did God make man from mud?

I was looking at the Ancient Christian commentary and St. Augustine says that mud is made from earth and water.
Does anyone know what the meaning of earth and water mean in the scriptures?

Or does anyone have an explanation for the mud?

God bless.

Comments

• So i can answer just the first question for you..

First:
    We are made from mud Because we dont get Arrogant E.g We made from Gold we get Arrogant cause Gold is something expensive.
    So we know that we are from mud we should be humble.
    Second:
    God took the Most lowest materials on the Earth(Mud as you said is made from Earth and Water)
    And he won Something wonderfull like the Human.

Hope could help

Remind the Worst Sinner in your Prayers
    -ME
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One true God. Amen.[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]Al Masih Kam![/glow]

The human creature is made from the ground. In Hebrew, "human" and "ground" are similiar sounding words ('adam, 'adamah), and so bear a special relationship to each other. The human creature comes from the ground and so depends on it for life. God is portrayed as a potter molding man's body out of clay. 

The Holy Fathers say: "Reflect on how you were fashioned. Consider the workshop from which your nature derived. It is by the hand of God you have received. May what was fashioned by God not be soiled by evil, or altered by sin: do not fall from the hand of God. You are a vessel molded by God, having come into being from God: glorify your Creator. You have not been created for anything other than to be an instrument appropiate to the glory of God."

- Wisdom. Let Us Attend: Job, The Fathers, And The Old Testament, Page 713, Compiled and edited by Johanna Manley.

Amen.