Coptic Orthodox Baptism

Dear friends,

After browsing through previous posts I came across a thread concerning adult baptism.  In that thread someone stated something about a baptism name given to the person being baptized by the Metropolitan.

Are those who are baptized given new Christian names?

Thanks,

Justin  :)

Comments

• [quote author=JustinWilliams link=topic=7890.msg102385#msg102385 date=1240983114]
    Dear friends,

After browsing through previous posts I came across a thread concerning adult baptism.  In that thread someone stated something about a baptism name given to the person being baptized by the Metropolitan.

Are those who are baptized given new Christian names?

Thanks,

Justin   :)

Well let's first consider that the names are more of names in Church; not legal name change.

What happens is that some times unchristian names are not full of a person who dies and lives with Christ. So he is baptized with a Christian name, becomes a holy one of Christ. That's as simple as i can put it.
    This name is not specifically given by the Metropolitan. I can see where you are coming with this though. First, a Metropolitan is kind of a bishop. The rank is "bishop." best example is that the our pope is a bishop, but he's an archbishop, a patriarch; the head of the bishops...or as i was reading it in one of the Church hymns "the high priest of the high priests."
    So, in the Coptic Church many years ago the sacrament of Baptism was done by the bishops. But since the numbers of the believers increased (and kept increasing) tremendously, the sacrament was given to the priests to preform since there are a lot of them.

• Minagir,

Thank you for responding to my question.  Would you be able to give an example of an unchristian name that a believer has that would be grounds for them being given a name of the Church? And is everyone given this new name or just some?

I find this very interesting and appreciate your help.

Blessings,

• Normally all converts would take the name of a saint, but I know those who already have the name of a saint they are devoted to and who keep that name.

For myself, I took the name of Theodore for a variety of reasons (not leats because my patron is buried a few miles from where I live), but my own name of Peter was and is also honourable, so I tended to be known in the Church as Peter Theodore. When I was priested I wished to use the name of Peter and so I am Father Peter.

I guess that the idea is that in Christ we are a new person, a new creation, but the rule is not hard and fast since many people have a strong devotion to the saint they are already named after, and that devotion is brought over into Orthodoxy, not eliminated as if it was unworthy.

Father Peter
  • Father Peter,

Thank  you for that explanation!

Blessings,

• I have been able to watch a few Coptic Orthodox baptisms, of both adults and children, and it is a beautiful picture of God's grace to his children.

Blessings,

Justin :)