Is The Music I Listen To Really That Bad?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi Everyone,
So i have an ipod and i do have some church hymns on it, although i dont listen to them at all, but its almost entirely full of regular music, rock, hip hop and rap. I often hear that its a sin to listen to music with bad messages. I'll admit that the music i listen to has topics including adultery, murder, theft and the usual topics found in all music, but i dont think about any of it after i stop listening. I've never considered murdering anyone, or stealing, or adultery, im 16 and ive never even had my first kiss (excluding family), i just really like the music. I'll admit that there is foul language and i do swear but i dont believe its because of the music, id swear even if i stoppe dlistening to music entirely, and the same goes for my lustful thoughts because they will probably continue to happen even if i threw my ipod in the trash. so is listening to vulgar music really that terrible of a sin, if its a sin at all?

Comments

• [quote author=Searching link=topic=7843.msg101819#msg101819 date=1239677887]
    Hi Everyone,
    So i have an ipod and i do have some church hymns on it, although i dont listen to them at all, but its almost entirely full of regular music, rock, hip hop and rap. I often hear that its a sin to listen to music with bad messages. I'll admit that the music i listen to has topics including adultery, murder, theft and the usual topics found in all music, but i dont think about any of it after i stop listening. I've never considered murdering anyone, or stealing, or adultery, im 16 and ive never even had my first kiss (excluding family), i just really like the music. I'll admit that there is foul language and i do swear but i dont believe its because of the music, id swear even if i stoppe dlistening to music entirely, and the same goes for my lustful thoughts because they will probably continue to happen even if i threw my ipod in the trash. so is listening to vulgar music really that terrible of a sin, if its a sin at all?

music is one of those things that you can't say it's a "sin" but it brings on sins.

our Christian life is not only "sin" or not sin. Christ made that clear in all of His teachings to the people. He made it clear that he doesn't only want your actions to be of His right Law but also you heart to be HIS.
  • 1)

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1 Corinthians 6:12)

pay close attention to where it says "ALL THINGS". you can do whatever you want but will it help you in any way? if anything, in this case, it will hurt you.

2)

"16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it" (Matthew 13:16-17).

"Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see; 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it" (Luke 10:23-24).

we are BLESSED because we live in this age! people before wished they lived in this age so they can see and hear this things which we see and hear. especially our eyes and ears are BLESSED because we see Jesus and partake of his body and blood and we hear him in the Holy Gospels. 

you should be thankful and take every opportunity to see and hear the things which the prophets and righteous men wished they could and not waste your time with pointless music - the precious time that God gave you. time is a gift from God, don't waste it.

3) Practically

we humans like music, and nothing is better than the beautiful hymns of our church. try them and you will fall in love. our church is a musical church - everything we say has music to it. Also, there are many songs in our church, Arabic and English.

please don't take this personally: it hurts me to say that teens today sometimes do things like this (listen to music of that type) to fit in because in a society like the one we live in today sometimes the hardest thing is to simply be yourself. it takes courage and trust in God and prayers.

please don't get me wrong, some music - yes even today - is good.... but i think today it is narrowed down to music without lyrics. that, i don't think there is anything wrong with it.

pray for my weakness
  • Dear Searching

I would not be so quick to assume that your language and thoughts would be the same whether or not you were listening to this music. Much of our behaviour is rooted in the subconscious habits and environment which we allow to harden around us like a tortoise's shell. I like a wide variety of music, and growing up I liked lots of different music, including the best UK rock groups. Now I still listen to some, some times.

But there is other music I would not listen to anymore. I know that it will make me feel unclean inside if I let the words enter my head and heart.

Why not try an experiment for a while. For a week? Don't listen to any music that you know has lyrics which are unchristian. Listen to some Christian songs instead, not only hymns unless you just want to listen to hymns. And spend some of the time you would listen to music in prayer, or even pray while you are listening to Christian music. You can use the Jesus Prayer - Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me. It doesn't need to be anything long.

It is not magic, just listening to different music doesn't make you a better person, but by changing the environment you can start detoxing your mind and heart. What you listen to does affect you much more than you think. I see children now who are surrounded by people who use bad language and it rubs off on them because they are being subconsciously told - this is how we talk. It is the same with the lyrics of music. If we keep hearing about lust, if lust is praised, if it is drilled into our heads and hearts, then we will have great difficulty escaping it when the music stops.

God bless

Father Peter
  • Satan was an angel before he fell. He was a high ranked angel whos job was to constantly praise God with an unceasing voice so he had this skill. Thats why he uses this skill of music against us to make us fall. May god bless u and pray for me
  • [quote author=Searching link=topic=7843.msg101819#msg101819 date=1239677887]
    Hi Everyone,

I think the answer can be seen in just 1 line from Corinthians:

Let all things be done for edification. (1 Corinthians 14:26 ESV)

That means that everything I do HAS to edify me. It has to build me up. It has to make me better than what I was before.

My work, my friends, my school, my wife, my parents, my toys, my hobbies, my TV, my IPOD.

All these things, including my iPod, has to edify me. What does not edify us, is known as "idle" or "wasted time" - and I know God doesn't want us to do things that do not edify us as He asks us to learn from the creatures He created who always use their time wisely.

So, does listening to such music edify you? or does it do the opposite.

Edify, as far as I know, means to build up.. to build you. Does it add value to you? Does it add value to your personality, your morals, your judgement, your life??

Does it edify those around you? or does it offend them?

I'm not saying that rap music is bad, but if it doesnt edify you, you'll be judged on that.

Rather than do something that builds you, it may end up destroying you.

There are many things I do that are not edifying. I admit that. But, the more I read this verse, the more I ask myself and put into question what I'm doing and whether or not I've really gained anything from it.
  • if you really like rock and hip hop and you can't find any of this music with edifying lyrics, then go out and write some which praises God.
    maybe you won't become famous overnight, but you'll have something better on your ipod.
    psalm 95 (96) says 'sing a new song to the Lord', the tune is not specified!

there is an arabic- speaking artist called teri neem (don't know how it's spelt in latin letters, only seen her name in arabic). she is originally mexican but lives in egypt and has some good rap in her praise music. maybe you can find some of her music. i've only seen it on casette tape, but you might find it on cd.