Boast or Shine Light

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Aphapy

i am having trouble differentiating between boasting and letting my light shine as it says in Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

if i try to let my light shine, i feel like i am being boastful or in other words as St. Paul says i think i drives people to think of me more than what i am.

i need your help in understanding this and your advice and perhaps your experiences.

Comments

• Aghapy least,

I think it would be better if we look at the entire context of the passage. This verse is part of the gospel that is read in the 6th hour reading of the agpeya. I think what is meant in this passage is that we, as believers in christ, are expected to be disciples and examples of the way.

As Christ said "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the father except through me." John 14:6

There are not many ways or truths. He lead by example, to show us the way, to bring us the light.

So earlier when he says "You are the salt of the earth, if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned. It is then good for nothing, but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men." "You are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill can not be hidden, nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand and it gives light to all who are in the house"

He gave us The Example, and now we have become salt and light unto the earth.

I feel as if it is our responsibility to represent him properly in spirit and truth.

Now on to your question, sorry for the longwindedness, this is a really good question. I am glad you are asking it, because I should have asked this question before. I think that the answer resides in your heart. Ask yourself the question, what drives me to act the way that I do?

Letting our light, which comes from the father, shine before men requires alot of humbleness and genuiness. It is very easy, as you have noticed, to fall into boastfullness. It requires a person to rely upon God to guide their actions, through many prayers, repentance and confession.

May God show you the way in which to serve him
    In Christ,