Lazarus raised from the dead

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
It says on the calendar that last Sunday, Lazarus' raising from the dead was commemorated. Why is he commemorated twice in two weeks? Once on Lazarus Day the day before Palm Sunday and a week or two prior (this year it was on March 29th)

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

Jasmine

Comments

• [quote author=gigglyshy link=topic=7808.msg101562#msg101562 date=1238986237]
    It says on the calendar that last Sunday, Lazarus' raising from the dead was commemorated. Why is he commemorated twice in two weeks? Once on Lazarus Day the day before Palm Sunday and a week or two prior (this year it was on March 29th)

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

Jasmine

i asked a priest that once and the simple answer was there was differnt days on which the event happend (or atleast we think so) and the day it's commemorated. like today in the sinixar we celebrated the "The Commemoration of the Crucifixion of Our Lord Jesus Christ."

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=7808.msg101564#msg101564 date=1238990662]
    i asked a priest that once and the simple answer was there was differnt days on which the event happend (or atleast we think so) and the day it's commemorated. like today in the sinixar we celebrated the "The Commemoration of the Crucifixion of Our Lord Jesus Christ."
    Hey minagir,
    Can you please elaborate on that a little bit, I still dont quite understand, I was wondering the same thing today when I heard the synixar read, that we commemorate the crucifixion today, celebrate and live it next week during pascha. I am really sorry for the trouble. Thanks in advance. :)

please pray for me
    -sister in Christ
  • I think that the answer is that one celebration is on the fixed calendar, so it is the same day every year, while the other major celebration is part of the Paschal cycle which moves each year.

There is a day of the year in which we celebrate Lazarus being raised, which is like the fixed celebrations and is perhaps the day on which it happened, while also there is the celebration which relates to Pascha and the Passover, which is one week before Pascha, because that was the relation the events had to each other.

Father Peter
  • When Christ raised a man from the dead, I know the Church clearly believes that at that time, it was when He was considered to be the Messiah. That's why the people celebrated His entry into Jerusalem. They believed that finally God had sent them the Messiah, only after lazarus was raised.

In the Church, we focus on the Passion of Christ completely. We walk the steps our Lord walked until His death and subsequent resurrection.

Given the paramount importance of Lazarus being raised from the dead, this is included as a pre-cursor to the passion week.

I do believe that Lazarus was raised from the dead 2 weeks prior to Christ's entry into Jerusalem. It was thanks to this, and all the other miracles that the jews believed that He was their Messiah. By the time He entered into Jerusalem, He was considered a King. However, because of the envy of the Pharasees, coupled with His Humility, Meekness, and kindness, they didnt accept Him, and prefered a criminal to be released instead.

I heard this from someone actually who is a trusted source. I'll double check and get back to you to confirm that it is the official reason.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7808.msg101574#msg101574 date=1239016592]
    I do believe that Lazarus was raised from the dead 2 weeks prior to Christ's entry into Jerusalem. It was thanks to this, and all the other miracles that the jews believed that He was their Messiah. By the time He entered into Jerusalem, He was considered a King. However, because of the envy of the Pharasees, coupled with His Humility, Meekness, and kindness, they didnt accept Him, and prefered a criminal to be released instead.

I heard this from someone actually who is a trusted source. I'll double check and get back to you to confirm that it is the official reason.

do we know when did Christ enter Jerusalem exactly?
    Because i am with Fr. Peter; Palm Sunday is part of the cycle.
  • Thank you sooo much, that makes alot of sense now.

please keep my weakness in your prayers
    -your sister in Christ