Genesis...(adam and Eve)

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
so, you've all probably been in similar situations...these kids in my class were arguing the whole Adam and Eve thing..well not arguing, more like completely putting it down so i felt obligated and i tried to back it up... anyhooo one thing led to another and they ended up asking how we can believe that everyone came from Adam and Eve and that would cause birth defects and such and i said that these mutations and such weren't introduced into the environment until later and they thought it ws hilarious and asked if that meant we were all brothers and sisters and i said yea so ..uhh..then they said Oh so everytime people have kids they are reproducing with famiy and ewh thats disguisting and all that jazz and even after saying it wsa VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY extended...i couldn't think of anything else to say so i backed off. is that the right thing to do in this situation, to  just let it go and hope they can see the light ?? or what do i say?? (ps: quoting Bible verses to them is not an option)

Comments

• Generally the advice in such situations is the following: if you know you're not up to it, don't argue in the first place..
    meaning if you don't know enough yet, and your faith might be shaken or somthing, then it's best to refrain from such discussions...

The best thing to do would be to pray for yourself so God aids you to learn more and be able to answer such questions in the future, and secondly for the others, so that their eyes and hearts might be opened enabling them to see God and His work in humanity...

It takes wisdom to know when to engage in a discussion and when not to, remember the Bible tells us not to throw bread to the dogs, if you sense the person in front of you is genuinly interested in knowing more and understanding, then that's somthing. But when someone is purely out to ridicule your faith and use silly arguments and bad language, then they're not worth the talk, in my opinion...

God bless you
    please pray for my weakness
  • I agree with GodIsLove that it is good to learn when not to dispute with people who are not wanting a discussion.

I was driving up to Scotland with my wife and son today, and I was thinking about this particular thread. If others are just laughing then it is not the time to discuss the Holy Scriptures. But, scientists do claim that all of mankind DOES descend from a single African human type being who lived about 170,000 years ago. I am not suggesting that I believe the scientists account is simply an analogue of the Biblical one, but if young folk want to laugh at Adam and Eve as being unscientific then they need to understand that scientists also believe that all humans ARE related and descend from a single person.

Whether you go with the Bible or science this is the same claim. That we are all related and are all indeed one family.

Father Peter
  • in fact God created adam and eve with a very large gene pool. that's how come so many different-looking people are descended from 2 people.
    when brothers and sisters ignore God and their own conscience ('yuk' factor) and reproduce these days the kids tend to have birthdefects because the number (pool) of available genes is smaller.
    btw people who believe in evolution also believe this gene pool theory.
    while posting, i have been reminded by someone close to me that it takes a lot more 'faith' to believe we are descended from a type of ape!
    however, i agree with the 2 posts above, sometimes it's not appropriate to argue.
    may God give you wisdom  :)
  • THanks so much guys :)
    yeah, i would have gladly stayed out of it, but i just felt so guilty sitting back and listening; but it does make much more sense to stay out of it if i can't back myself up, and i'm really glad to know that that is an acceptable thing to do in this situation.

Whether you go with the Bible or science this is the same claim. That we are all related and are all indeed one family.

in fact God created adam and eve with a very large gene pool. that's how come so many different-looking people are descended from 2 people.

that's exactly what i was trying to get at when i was talking to them, but they just kept saying "ew" that's disgusting and all this immature stuff...i guess they weren't open to hearing anything...