Church Item Symbolism

+
                                                                                                      +  +  +
                                                                                                          +

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

I just wanted to ask you all some questions about Liturgy artifacts, such as the Masteer, Paten, Star, Crosses, and so on. I was wondering if they were symbolic of anything in the Church. For example, I know the censor is a symbol of St. Mary. Do the other items have a similar explaination.

If anyone has some links of information or pics I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone can post some pictures of these items, I would really appreciate it. I couldnt get pics this sunday b/c the items were already put away, and I know they can only be taken out by a priest before a Liturgy.

Thank you very much,
God bless you

Agapi

Comments

• Here are some items with their symbolism:
    Prospharine: The large veil or cloth that covers the altar. It is a white garment with crosses and icons of Jesus woven on it. It symbolizes the large stone placed at the tomb of Christ. Btw Jesus rose from the dead without the stone being removed which is related to the fact that He was born without obliterating her virginity.
    Two candles that are place on the altar on opposite sides represent the two angels that sat at the head and feet Jesus’ tomb.   
    And the altar represents the tomb of Christ.
    Sorry I couldn’t get pics also.  :)
    In Christ
    Theophilus
  • Oh,  ;D
        After I put the above post I found this link: http://copticchurch.net/topics/dictionary/
    Just enter your term and you will find answers. Examples would be:
    1. Dome (star, Astisk)
    It consists of two small silver bows in the shape of a cross. On top of it is a cross referring to the sheltering cherubim. Thi
    2. Paten
    A round silver plate, where the lamb is put. It refers to the Lord Jesus Christ manger and grave.
    3. Vessels, Sacred
    The chalice, paten, ceborium, cruets, etc., used in Communion.

In Christ
    Theophilus.
  • Well, this isn't an item, but I remember hearing my bishop saying that the number 8 was symbolic of a new beginning...but this is what I got out of his sermon which was spoken in arabic ???

- Males being circumcised 8 days after birth
    - 8 people in Noah's family after the flood
    - God creating the world in 7 days, the 7th of which we're living in, and the 8th being the new life in heaven (he said this when explaining "Give us this day, our daily bread of tomorrow.")
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=7764.msg104699#msg104699 date=1247772047]
    Well, this isn't an item, but I remember hearing my bishop saying that the number 8 was symbolic of a new beginning...but this is what I got out of his sermon which was spoken in arabic ???

- Males being circumcised 8 days after birth
    - 8 people in Noah's family after the flood
    - God creating the world in 7 days, the 7th of which we're living in, and the 8th being the new life in heaven (he said this when explaining "Give us this day, our daily bread of tomorrow.")

i dono't know about the circumcision part or the Noah's family part.

about the number 8. 7 is the number of fullness (4 + 3 = 7 == Earth (number 4, 4 corners) + God (Trinity) == Fullness). what's beyond fullness, 8, is eternity.
  • That why 8 people were saved in the ark, it signifies the new creation ;)

The small velum on top of the prosferin is symbol of the seal on the grave of Christ.

The throne in which the chalice is placed is symbol of the throne of God. The mestir (spoon next to it) during the liturgy when abouna says (afchi sariks, was incarnate...) is taken down, and a spoon of incense is placed in the censor. This is symbol of the Logos (the silver mestir on the throne) coming down and taking flesh.

Another minor thing i just remembered: during the liturgy of the Word, at the end of the Thanksgiving prayer, the deacon holds the cross up at the far side of the altar, across abouna's place (the deacon facing the west => congregation). This is done just before the burial when the prosferin is being layed upon the altar. That cross is obviously a symbol of the death of Christ. I think in the book by Fr Tadros (Church, house of God) he writes that Christ faced the West when he was on the cross, so that all the people would look at Him towards the east, as His death and Ressurection brought us back to Paradise (the east). This is exactly the way it is performed during the thanksgiving prayer and burial...it's incredible how accurate and detailed and spiritual our rites are.

God bless the coptic church
  • in the procession that matt is talking about the deacon goes counterclockwise showing how the Church is against time.
  • When does a deacon go counterclockwise again?