Irini Pasi

why do we cross ourselves when abouna blesses us?

Comments

• I'm not sure why we do it, but I follow the Eastern Orthodox teaching of not crossing myself; rather, I bow my head in reverence and receive the blessing.
  • I always thought that it was a quick prayer, and that you do the sign of the cross as a symbol that you are asking through Christ.
  • you don't really "cross" yourself. you only bow your head to receive the blessings from the priest or Christ Himself. it's like the dismissal prayers that are at the end of the liturgy. we bow our heads to receive the blessings before leaving church. that's why we respond with "And with your spirit", for the Spirit to also be with him (the priest) from Christ indirectly.
  • You really don't have to do that, the only time I personally do, is when he says that and lets Christ give us the blessing, right before the intro to the fraction. But also, crossing yourself is a good thing, you can never do that too many times.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7754.msg101193#msg101193 date=1237817388]
    You really don't have to do that, the only time I personally do, is when he says that and lets Christ give us the blessing, right before the intro to the fraction. But also, crossing yourself is a good thing, you can never do that too many times.

i know its not a bad thing, but why do we do it? is there a reason?
  • Of course there is a reason, there is a reason for everything in the Coptic Church! The reason why I THINK (please don't quote me, because its not the church's opinion, but my own) we cross ourselves is because we're confirming the faith and our belief. We also cross ourselves from protection against any evil. So when abouna says Irini Pasi and crosses us, he is saying "here is the blessing" and we cross ourselves in receiving this and say "amen, we believe (going back to confirming the belief)" it could also be that we are making sure this blessing is from God, so we cross ourselves as protection in case it's coming with the wrong intention. For example the devil may appear as God sometimes, so we need to cross ourselves in making sure this is really God and not the devil... and as jydeacon said you can never cross yourself too much. Signing ourselves with the cross reminds us of the glory of God, and the power of the Cross reminds us of the salvation and redemption we gained through Jesus Christ.

Please someone correct me if my idea is wrong! I would appreciate it!!

Peace.
  • [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7754.msg101195#msg101195 date=1237824460]
    Of course there is a reason, there is a reason for everything in the Coptic Church! The reason why I THINK (please don't quote me, because its not the church's opinion, but my own)

well I wanted to know the church's opinion, because I have my opinions too. so if anyone knows........
  • [quote author=deaconwannaB link=topic=7754.msg101282#msg101282 date=1237988339]
    [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7754.msg101195#msg101195 date=1237824460]
    Of course there is a reason, there is a reason for everything in the Coptic Church! The reason why I THINK (please don't quote me, because its not the church's opinion, but my own)

well I wanted to know the church's opinion, because I have my opinions too. so if anyone knows........

Anything anyone is going to tell you is purely opinion, nothing in the rites say we MUST cross ourselves when the priest says irini pasi. Or when we say Agios(Holy) or Glory to our God. its simply tradition not ritualistic. and most likely just confirmation of faith as Teksoni said. As well the cross is a very powerful sign that even the demons fear. No one on this site can ever give you the churches opinion because we aren't clergy(except for Father Peter of course), So hopefully he can enlighten us to hard evidence as to why this is done.
  • There are many things in the Church which are a pious custom which has value but which were not created as part of the ritual of the Liturgy. Indeed the creation of the Liturgies of the Church (because our sister Orthodox Churches are also THE Church and have their own liturgical traditions) should not be seen as a one off event, but as something which has a continuity with the very time of the Apostles, and which has grown and developed organically, been revised and reformed at various times, and will continue to develop into the future.

In our Orthodox worship we do not have an absolute uniformity of practice, which is one of the attractions for many Western people used to just sitting in a pew. We stand, we bow, we cross ourselves, we light candles and venerate icons, we arrive at different times. It is not hard to imagine that devout people would cross themselves whenever the sign of the cross was made over them by the priest or bishop as a means of uniting their own intention and devotion with the blessing being given. Others would see this and wish to emulate the behaviour, some with an understanding of why they were doing it, others simply out of piety, and others because they thought it was 'right'.

I would say that both those who have an understanding of why they cross themselves at this time, and those who have a simple and pious heart offer equally acceptable worship to God, while those who wish only to appear pious, in this and in all things, are in danger of pride.

God sees the heart. And as someone from an Evangelical background who has had to learn a great deal to participate more fully in Orthodox worship I would say that God puts up with a lot of mistakes if our hearts are right. Whether we cross ourselves at the blessing or not, it is the state of our heart that matters, since even a wicked man can cross himself and appear righteous.

I am sure that if we meditated on the sign of the cross then we could think of many meaningful reasons for signing ourselves when the priest blesses us. All of these might well be equally valid as the fruit of prayerful thought and I would not wish to suggest in this case that there is only one correct liturgical symbol. On the other hand, in many of the other liturgical actions there is a clear symbolic intent which is not accidental.

Father Peter
  • The Cross is the Power of all Christians  ::)
  • This is a symbol of us accepting this peace when abouna says peace be with all. Its as if we are accepting the blessing of peace which is given to us. And if u notice, when the bread becomes body, when abouna says irini pasi, he bows and says it in a lower voice because the body of jesus is the one who gives us the peace. its also out of respect. For example when a bishop comes, the bishop is the one who says irinipasi even if the preist is the one praying at the time.
  • Abouna told me once that when he says Irini Pasi, it is actually Christ Himself who is speaking through the mouth of the priest. We are in the presence of God in His house, why wouldn't you make the Sign of the Cross on yourself?? God is speaking and we are in His presence. It is out of respect.

please pray for me and my weakness!!