i need help, i hesitate a lot and some times i put myself down too much

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i need help, i hesitate a lot and some times i put myself down too much, and i tend to confuse being humble with low self esteem how can raise my self esteem and be humble, and how can i diffrenitait between both? please help me, this situation i have is effecting me almost in every way, school, home, ect.

Comments

• hi st. mena,
    they already opened a thread discussing this, but ill say what i think. whenever you're not feeling too good about yourself, just remember, you are the son of God, and that makes you worth soo much, it's impossible to describe in words, because you are not of this earth. i believe that being humble comes along with our relationship with God, if we have a strong relationship with Him, we will already be humble, because Jesus Christ was very humble, and in wanting to be like Him, it will just naturally come.

if ur having problems with self esteem, know not to base your feelings about urself on how other people react, because people are changing, therefore, ur feelings would be also.

i completely understand where you're coming from, because i had to deal with this problem too, and it only got better about a week ago...

the only thing i can say is to talk to people (like what your doing), and to pray, because i find that whenever my self esteem is low, its also true that i havent been praying...

and if u ever need to talk about it and u just want somebody to listen, u can send me a pm (and ill listen) :D
  • ur not alone, there seems to be a lot of that happening these days

hang in there, things will get better soon. i know, ive been there and still am.
  • Dear St. Mena,

Humility is achieved by having a strong and continuous relationship with God. Humility does mean self-denial and it means that you should think of yourself as lower than others, but it doesnt mean, that you should lose confidence in yourself, and put yourself down too much.

We are sinners, we are bad, who are we that God should remember us? But God because of His great love for us "made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honor" (psalm 8 ) , made us just a little lower than the angels! so As SaviorOfMySoul already said, just remember that you are God's precious child, and that by itself means a whole lot. When you are weak then you are strong, "My strength is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12:9

pray so that our beloved Jesus, who is the greatest example of all humility, may grant you true humility, that comes from your heart, and at the same time have hope in Him and dont feel so low inside of you :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

also .....Reasons why you shouldnt put yourself down too much:
    1. you will be upset more..
    2. then u will start getting depressed
    3. and then..you will end up joining the tasbeha.org depression club (there has been many depression forums going around lately)!!
    jk ;)
  • Dear St. Mena;
    don't feel bad, but remember that humility is the act of being aware that you are weak and poor because you are a human being, but not hating yourself. low self-esteem is thinking negatively of yourself, not paying attention to the fact that you are unique and carry so much good qualities because Christ created you. therefore it leads you to hating yourself. when you are humble, you acknowledge God's love for you and you remind yourself that you are from dust and will return to dust, thus humility comes from greek meaning earth. it doesn't mean that you dislike or hate your self, but remembering your origin and focussing on Christ more than yourself and getting vain glory.
    low- self eseem is a negative view on your body, personality, life or even gifts and talents. when you are humble, you receive the feeling of peace and unity with God and you feel His presence. meanwhile, low self-esteem makes you feel unpeaceful and in a conflict with yourself. it's a completely different feeling. Humility is something you should try to obtain through your acknowledgment that you are a sinner and that you need God in your life. Low Self-esteem is something you should avoid and pray to Christ to protect you from this sin that leads you away from God and makes you unappreciative of God's decision to create you.

God bless you and guide you through His Holy Spirit who dwells in you.