A Jehova witness friend with leukemia.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone, I haven't been on here for a while but one of my close friends from school was just diagnosed with luekemia about 2 weeks ago. Well, there is a bit of an issue, since she's Jehova's witness she can't get a blood transfusion which she has about 80% chance of survival with it, but about 10% with chemo.
Her family is really strict and stuff about religious aspects concerning this issue. On her blog, she has this verse "Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood." Acts 15:20
To be honest with you, I was speechless in my comment back to her and didn't know exactly how to comfort her. She's a minor and her rents are making all the decisions for her. And with this verse, I was stunned by how literal they take scripture!!

I want someone to explain to me why they can't get blood, they won't even allow her to have a port! If it's written in scriptures, then why don't we abide by these rules too?

GBU,
Sandra

Comments

• hi, sandra,
    there are several issues here.

1st, if your friend is a minor, her doctor can apply to the courts to overrule her parents decision. there should already be a court process going on to decide her care. in the uk, lots of kids with JW parents get treatment as the state overrules the parents. it also in some cases overrules the child when the child also refuses treatment.

2nd, that verse discusses old testament law, which is about eating blood, its very clear if read in context. the animal is dead (has been 'sacrificed') and in recognition of the sacrifice, the blood is poured out to God and not eaten.

3rd, point number 2 only applies if you are a religious jew. that situation in acts occured because ex-jews and ex-pagans (who loved blood!) we trying to live in community together and form the new church of Jesus Christ. there had to be some compromise to keep the ex-jews happy and to allow the new church to form a new culture and way of life. Jesus himself made it clear that 'it's not what goes into a man that pollutes him, it's what comes out' i.e bad words and bad living. so you will not go to hell for eating something with blood in it.

4th, orthodox jews who don't eat blood or pork etc accept blood transfusions. they have had many years experience of interpreting old testament laws so perhaps understand something about them!

5th, the early Christians took holy communion, believing they were taking the blood of Jesus Christ. they were all fully aware of the directive in acts 15 from the apostles.

here is an excellent page i found on the internet that gives, in my own humble opinion, a good theological perspective on the issue. i did not find a specifically orthodox perspective but i don't think this particular page on this website contains anything our church would disagree with.
    http://www.dtl.org/cults/article/transfusions.htm

i pray God will guide you as you show His light in this difficult situation.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7653.msg100406#msg100406 date=1235197554]
    hi, sandra,
    there are several issues here.

1st, if your friend is a minor, her doctor can apply to the courts to overrule her parents decision. there should already be a court process going on to decide her care. in the uk, lots of kids with JW parents get treatment as the state overrules the parents. it also in some cases overrules the child when the child also refuses treatment.

2nd, that verse discusses old testament law, which is about eating blood, its very clear if read in context. the animal is dead (has been 'sacrificed') and in recognition of the sacrifice, the blood is poured out to God and not eaten.

3rd, point number 2 only applies if you are a religious jew. that situation in acts occured because ex-jews and ex-pagans (who loved blood!) we trying to live in community together and form the new church of Jesus Christ. there had to be some compromise to keep the ex-jews happy and to allow the new church to form a new culture and way of life. Jesus himself made it clear that 'it's not what goes into a man that pollutes him, it's what comes out' i.e bad words and bad living. so you will not go to hell for eating something with blood in it.

4th, orthodox jews who don't eat blood or pork etc accept blood transfusions. they have had many years experience of interpreting old testament laws so perhaps understand something about them!

5th, the early Christians took holy communion, believing they were taking the blood of Jesus Christ. they were all fully aware of the directive in acts 15 from the apostles.

here is an excellent page i found on the internet that gives, in my own humble opinion, a good theological perspective on the issue. i did not find a specifically orthodox perspective but i don't think this particular page on this website contains anything our church would disagree with.
    http://www.dtl.org/cults/article/transfusions.htm

i pray God will guide you as you show His light in this difficult situation.

i work in a hospital and i deal with faith issues alot. its really sad that people have become so deluded and become so blind. hopefully God will have mercy on her as she is only being faithful to what her parents taught her to be truth. you can try to convince them but chances are it wont work as jehovah witness is a dictatorship that controls every aspect of their lives, including thought. please keep us updated!