St Mark (Cyril) Liturgy by HICS

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
I recently downloaded the The Anaphora of St Mark by the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies and was shocked that they had a tune to it.
According to some reliable sources such as Cantor Mikhail Gabrial Guirguis el Batanouny, the tunes of this liturgy have been lost except for the dyptich (owoh nai nem).
If this is really the case, the where did Fr. Matthias Nasr get that tune from (who did he learn it from)?

Looking forward to some good replies
Thnx

Comments

• The tune of the anaphora and the prayer of reconciliation where taken from st. Gregory's liturgy. Actually most of the liturgy was mat-rakeb from the tunes of St. Gregory's. The litanies of this liturgy are safe to say the way he recorded them since most litanies across the liturgies sound the same. [coptic]Ni;ucia[/coptic](This tune is supposed to be said every matins with its appropriate response which is in the liturgy that Father Matthias recorded) and [coptic]Nenio][/coptic](Specific to St. Cyrils Liturgy) where also preserved while owoh nai nem is not specific to st. Cyril's anymore. There is also [coptic]`VNou] vietaujor ebol[/coptic] that muallem mikhael recorded himself as well as [coptic]Ou, `oti je `anon[/coptic]

Since most of the Liturgy is litanies anyway, i personally feel that its better to have taken the tunes for parts that are "lost" from other liturgies and maintain the ones we still know(the ones i mentioned above) and again i think its safe to say that the litanies themselves are ok since they have a consistent tune in our church.
  • thanks for your response
    when i mentioned the anaphora i meant the whole liturgy like when we say "the Anaphora of St. Basil the Great, or St. Gregory etc. but i still see where your coming from.
    [move]Thanks Again[/move]

• Btw while people are talking about HICS' Liturgy, I noticed that some of the Litanies (I think the litany for the sick and a few others) have a massive drop in sound quality  and priest wo prays it doesn't sound like Abouna Matthias. Is it just my computer or those audio files from a different liturgy?
  • I noticed this as well, but in most HICS recordings its more than one priest praying, so i would assume that its the same liturgy.
  • The change of priest is only in the litany of peace and owoh nai nem. The rest of the liturgy is indeed Abouna Mettias Nasr.
  • [quote author=coptic_deacon link=topic=7646.msg100378#msg100378 date=1235163284]
    The change of priest is only in the litany of peace and owoh nai nem. The rest of the liturgy is indeed Abouna Mettias Nasr.

that priest is Fr. Ibrahim Aziz...currently in serving in California somewhere.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7646.msg101201#msg101201 date=1237840878]
    that priest is Fr. Ibrahim Aziz...currently in serving in California somewhere.

St. George Bellflower, CA

please pray for me
    -sister in Christ