Deacons HELP ME!

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
How do you get over the stage fright of saying the deacon responses in church.....i know ALOT of it but when it comes to saying it i always back down....and sooner or later they will stop asking me because they know i say no

help pleaseee

GBWU ;D

Comments

• Practice more and more at home, don't focus on the people, and focus on the alter when saying the response, don't worry if you mess up, take the leap and God will help you.
  • Hey man, don't fret it. We all make mistakes, even the adults who've been doing it their entire lives. We're human, we err but how else do we learn but from mistakes and experience? Just try them out, don't worry about the people. Even if you mess up, they'll forget it about it quickly, as theres a whole liturgy to be done, and one response vs a whole liturgy isn't much to be remembered. I mess up every now and then but it's all good, so long as you're trying and you better yourself. Are you a young deacon?
  • I know exactly what you're talking about.  All this fear comes from is from the people standing outside whom you think are judging how well you say your response because at the end of the liturgy all the people talk about is how well the deacons did that day.  I went through the exact same thing.  Look, you never really get over the fear of messing up until you actually mess up and realize that it is not that bad.  So my advice to you would be to just grit your teeth and expect to mess up.  When you go in thinking that you are definitely going to mess up, and you find that you didn't mess up, you realize just how much you were fooling yourself.  So, yeah just close your eyes and say it.  Also, try to go to a liturgy during the weekdays when there's not a lot of people around so you won't feel all that pressure.  I go to a really small church so sometimes it's literally just me and Abouna in the whole church which helped me get over this phobia quickly.
  • dude...just PRAY!!!
  • lol, if you sing from the heart, it's fine. Besides, if you have the chance of going up to the front, then that means that they think that you have a good voice anyways. So don't be scared. Do what you do best, and do it so it makes you closer to Him.
  • focus on the meaning of what you're saying. forget that the people are even there. and whatever you do, say it clearly so that it's understandable to the human ear.
  • pray before u say a hymn to calm down also don't just sing the hymn PRAY IT!!!
  • guys when we sing a hymn or respond it doesnt matter if u mess up it matter if it comes from ur heart and ur praying to god. the hymn adn the repsonses are a means by which to pray
  • haha lol i have always wondered how deacons were never embarrasesed to sing in front of these crowds lol  rabena mahak=)

+mahraeel+
  • Hey, man. When you are in the alter, you should not focus on the people but on the Body and Blood of Christ. Always keep Christ in your mind and heart, and you will be fine.
  • HEY, i used to be in the exact same situation.... like i knew most of the responses, but i would never say them and i remember the first couple of times i said anything, my voice was super shaky and i was so afraid.... i litelarly started to sweat and become super hot.... until i said them a couple of times at Church, and guess what i figuered?... it doesn't BITE... like i mess up quite a bit, but its all ok, cause you learn from your mistakes...

the best thing to do is: just say it... what is the worst thing that will happen if you mess up? and always keep in mind that you are saying this to GOD not for the people standing outside.
  • [quote author=Archdeacon link=topic=7363.msg97528#msg97528 date=1227494793]
    I know exactly what you're talking about.  All this fear comes from is from the people standing outside whom you think are judging how well you say your response because at the end of the liturgy all the people talk about is how well the deacons did that day.  I went through the exact same thing.  Look, you never really get over the fear of messing up until you actually mess up and realize that it is not that bad.  So my advice to you would be to just grit your teeth and expect to mess up.  When you go in thinking that you are definitely going to mess up, and you find that you didn't mess up, you realize just how much you were fooling yourself.  So, yeah just close your eyes and say it.  Also, try to go to a liturgy during the weekdays when there's not a lot of people around so you won't feel all that pressure.  I go to a really small church so sometimes it's literally just me and Abouna in the whole church which helped me get over this phobia quickly.

true, and yea i guess im 15 :P
  • [quote author=Archdeacon link=topic=7363.msg97528#msg97528 date=1227494793]
    I know exactly what you're talking about.  All this fear comes from is from the people standing outside whom you think are judging how well you say your response because at the end of the liturgy all the people talk about is how well the deacons did that day.  I went through the exact same thing.  Look, you never really get over the fear of messing up until you actually mess up and realize that it is not that bad.  So my advice to you would be to just grit your teeth and expect to mess up.  When you go in thinking that you are definitely going to mess up, and you find that you didn't mess up, you realize just how much you were fooling yourself.  So, yeah just close your eyes and say it.  Also, try to go to a liturgy during the weekdays when there's not a lot of people around so you won't feel all that pressure.  I go to a really small church so sometimes it's literally just me and Abouna in the whole church which helped me get over this phobia quickly.

see i know me and you had the same problem, but i go to a pretty big church and since school started i cant go to the weekday church, but i try and go on the days we have off. Are you really an Archdeacon
  • Just pray the responses not only say them .
    God be with u and support u to reach Him alone.
    don't forget to mention me in ur prayers .