Teoi `nhikanoc

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
[coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
My oun ouon emi qa paihwc - My tenhwc evai qen <oiak `mmauatf?[/coptic]
Does any one know about that hymn - do we sing it in Kiahk only?
[coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]

Comments

• This is part of the sunday theotokia and should be said every sunday during the midnight praises. This goes for the melismatic as well, it is not reserved for kiahk.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7326.msg96981#msg96981 date=1226397009]
    [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    My oun ouon emi qa paihwc - My tenhwc evai qen <oiak `mmauatf?[/coptic]
    Does any one know about that hymn - do we sing it in Kiahk only?

well the GREAT one, it's only recorded with Kiahk. it's really like tenen....it's used to be said on bright saturday and kiahk....but now all say it's sanawy....

let's say this, if you have have 30 mins and actually KNOW IT, (and they let you say it), than say it.

we say the long one every once in a while thoo.. not to long, 10-15 mins...we can deal with that....;)
  • [coptic]]sep`hmot `ntoten Jon nem Myna@ ]mei pi`cnau (tenen nem teoi) alla ]mei an eujw `mmwou qen hanabyt ebyl <oiak ie apokalum;yc [/coptic]
    I thank you John and Mina; I like both "[coptic]tenen [/coptic]and [coptic]teoi[/coptic]" but I don't like singing them in months other than Kiahk or Apocalypse
    [coptic]`cse ten]taoi eniparadococ `nte ]ek`klycia - my tenmei `nnihwc ehote `nniparadococ> ie `nniparadococ ehote `nnihwc?[/coptic]
    It should be that we respect the traditions of the church - do we like hymns more than tradition, or tradition more than hymns
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7326.msg97034#msg97034 date=1226436016]
    [coptic]]sep`hmot `ntoten Jon nem Myna@ ]mei pi`cnau (tenen nem teoi) alla ]mei an eujw `mmwou qen hanabyt ebyl <oiak ie apokalum;yc [/coptic]
    I thank you John and Mina; I like both "[coptic]tenen [/coptic]and [coptic]teoi[/coptic]" but I don't like singing them in months other than Kiahk or Apocalypse
    [coptic]`cse ten]taoi eniparadococ `nte ]ek`klycia - my tenmei `nnihwc ehote `nniparadococ> ie `nniparadococ ehote `nnihwc?[/coptic]
    It should be that we respect the traditions of the church - do we like hymns more than tradition, or tradition more than hymns

i personally like that to. makes hymns unique and have their own manner keda.
  • By singing Tenen or Teoi in months other than Kiahk and Apocalypse night does not go against tradition.... its still correct ritually to say them in tasbeha. But I see were you're coming from - by reserving them to these more revered occasions, the beauty of the hymn is highlighted.

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7326.msg97059#msg97059 date=1226442795]
    By singing Tenen or Teoi in months other than Kiahk and Apocalypse night does not go against tradition.... its still correct ritually to say them in tasbeha. But I see were you're coming from - by reserving them to these more revered occasions, the beauty of the hymn is highlighted.

you would break the tradition if you say them on any other days. the tradition is to say them on kiahk, and [coptic]Tenen[/coptic] on Bright Saturday.
  • I agree with you guys, but when you say traditions do you mean the rites? Because the rites say that you can say teoi at any time. Tenen is a different story, that is known to be reserved for kiahk and i think most respect that rite but I've never seen that it says the melismatic is to only be said in kiahk, what about the grand melismatic than?
  • [coptic]Aha Jon - naijw `mpinis] `nhwc `nte Teoi[/coptic]
    Yes John, I was talking about the long (melismatic) hymn of [coptic]Teoi[/coptic]
    [coptic]]]ma] nem Myna - aresan ouontak `noucyou hwc `mipinis] `nhouo[/coptic]
    I agree with Mina, if you have time sing the longer
  • what exactly is wrong with for instance wanting to sing tenen when it is not kiahk time?

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7326.msg97062#msg97062 date=1226443084]
    I agree with you guys, but when you say traditions do you mean the rites? Because the rites say that you can say teoi at any time. Tenen is a different story, that is known to be reserved for kiahk and i think most respect that rite but I've never seen that it says the melismatic is to only be said in kiahk, what about the grand melismatic than?

i meant the grand melismatic, i'd like to just call them "long" and great....becasue you say el-tawela, and el-kebera....;).....sorry am a little fobish....

the long is fine to say anytime because it was handed down as so. the great one though was recorded in it's long tune ONLY on the kiahk rite for m mikhail, m tawfik, m gad, fr mettias-HICS, wagdi bishara.

• Isn't it also traditional to say the long [coptic]Cemo][/coptic] in Kiahk as well?
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7326.msg97099#msg97099 date=1226460109]
    Isn't it also traditional to say the long [coptic]Cemo][/coptic] in Kiahk as well?

never heard that. Seemouti goes with shere Maria....said anytime. recorded in most, if not ALL midnight rites of many cantors and sources.
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    A[ne ouyn `noukemoust jw nyi qa (Areten;wnti)[/coptic]
    Without opening another topic tell me about "[coptic]Areten;wnti[/coptic]"
  • Ariten thounti is the same thing, its reserved for Kiahk but "can' be said on annual days
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7326.msg97117#msg97117 date=1226511960]
    [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    A[ne ouyn `noukemoust jw nyi qa (Areten;wnti)[/coptic]
    Without opening another topic tell me about "[coptic]Areten;wnti[/coptic]"

well not only Kiahk....It's kiahk and the Holy Lent, as recorded by HICS, Ibrahim Ayad, and m.Tawfik.

btw, It's not only, "[coptic]Areten;wnti[/coptic]"....
    I found out it's every 8th part of the watos Theotokeias. There is also "Ti-galele-a", not to mention the very small difference in intro and also the hymn that is said on the feasts of entering egypt and maybe the temple, not fully sure.

also i've heard an old recording for muallem fahim saying the 8th part of the thursday theotokeia in the same tune. so 3 out 4, i would say it would apply for all. but who would "rakeeb" the friday one!!
  • [coptic]Aha Myna - aijem nai`ctoi,on e;be Pi`ftoou> Pi`tioou> Picoou tyrou. ]meu`i je `pcaq Ibrahim afsib] `mpisorpi qen ousoft> qen (]galilea) alla ai;wt nem `pcaq Zaher qen nefjinhwc - ]emi pet`kmeu`i qarof[/coptic]
    Yes Mina - I found those parts for Wednesday, Thursday, Fridal all. I think that Cantor Ibrahim changed the intro by mistake in "[coptic]]galilea[/coptic]" but I was convinced with Cantor Zaher in his singing - I know what you think of him
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=p=c[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7326.msg97127#msg97127 date=1226520939]
    [coptic]Aha Myna - aijem nai`ctoi,on e;be Pi`ftoou> Pi`tioou> Picoou tyrou. ]meu`i je `pcaq Ibrahim afsib] `mpisorpi qen ousoft> qen (]galilea) alla ai;wt nem `pcaq Zaher qen nefjinhwc - ]emi pet`kmeu`i qarof[/coptic]
    Yes Mina - I found those parts for Wednesday, Thursday, Fridal all. I think that Cantor Ibrahim changed the intro by mistake in "[coptic]]galilea[/coptic]" but I was convinced with Cantor Zaher in his singing - I know what you think of him
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=p=c[/coptic]

well it's not muallem Ibrahim. that's how m Tawfik says it. And Fahim too....i think it's just how it was handed down. but it's nothing when you compare the other 2 hymns. I dono what muallem Zaher did really. and that wouldn't be a bad thing. is the hymns is handed down "to be said in this tune, then "tarkeeb" that tune is not wrong.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7326.msg97074#msg97074 date=1226445365]
    Refer to these topics: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6526.0
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6544.0

jydeacon,
    i understand but i meant outside of church? Like on your own or with your friends or like if u just have it on or something/

+mahraeel+

• [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7326.msg97137#msg97137 date=1226526304]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7326.msg97074#msg97074 date=1226445365]
    Refer to these topics: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6526.0

jydeacon,
    i understand but i meant outside of church? Like on your own or with your friends or like if u just have it on or something/

+mahraeel+

lol....you can say ANYTHING on your own.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7326.msg97138#msg97138 date=1226526443]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7326.msg97137#msg97137 date=1226526304]

jydeacon,

+mahraeel+

lol okay so thats what i thought...but then during holy week, y arent we allowed to listen to any regurlar songs or hymns.  Y does it have to be only "sad" songs.  see i dont get that..
    yes i understand giving God respect and all that but stil..their still churchly hymns and songs rite?

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7326.msg97141#msg97141 date=1226526593]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7326.msg97138#msg97138 date=1226526443]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7326.msg97137#msg97137 date=1226526304]

jydeacon,

+mahraeel+

lol okay so thats what i thought...but then during holy week, y arent we allowed to listen to any regurlar songs or hymns.  Y does it have to be only "sad" songs.  see i dont get that..
    yes i understand giving God respect and all that but stil..their still churchly hymns and songs rite?

+mahraeel+

noooo, ur confusing things. again, on your own, you can say anything.

the rite of of hymns in holy week is very special and unique. it's not necessarily "sad" but it's very close to that. for example look at eporoo...to me, that lahn doesn't sound sad at all and just hearing from EVERYONE in church at end of pascha, even though they wouldn't even know how to read coptic, it's just AMAZING. greatest feeling ever.
    look at the Royal tune of pek-ethronos and afitche non, it's a ROYAL tune, for the KING. as much as there is specific mourning parts, there are always other parts to remind us with the facts. wait, i can't miss Praxe-onton....a hymn that have ALL tune including Long Praxis response-with long ending, hoos erof, and many others. the hymn, if said with all the tune, is around 40 mins!!!

Bright Saturday hymns alone are just an amazing rite, in tunes and in readings and order of the service.

so it's just basically how the rites of the church are set.
  • Yeah mina is right, The rites for Holy week are amazing, nothing can compare to the tunes of this entire week. And just as mina said, these tunes really aren't that "sad" they are half sad half joyful. Almost all of them(except you can argue Ti-epestoli and Ethve Ti) are like that, Take all of the psalms for examble, they aren't called the sad tune of psalms because they of course have hints of joy in them, The tune is instead called Lahn el Attribi from the villiage it originated with. Same thing with Pekethronos and Avetchnon, Its is as mina said called the ROYAL tune!! How amazing is that!!?! and is also called lahn el shami from the villiage it originated from as well!

"How much I wept at Your hymns and canticles, deeply moved by the voices of Your sweetly singing Church!" St. Augustine

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • [coptic]Mahrayl tamenrit>
    `mmon - ;ai an te `n,ai `nsoft `nhwc `nnihwc qen nicyou eter`prypi an> icje nihwc cehwc e;be ]`proceu,ia[/coptic]
    No; it is not something wrong to sing the hymns in times not specified, if the hymns are sung for praying
    [coptic]alla nihwc `n`tripi ne hanmys ouoh oi `nswt ne> ouoh cecomcen `nhwc `noukehwc qen naicyou ebyl tenemi `nnaihwc an (`nte `Trybi)[/coptic]
    But the hymns of Edreeb are many and deep, and we are not expected to sing any other hymn in those times unless we don't know those hymns (Edreeb)
    [coptic]oujai qen `p=[=c[/coptic]
  • so overall if i have a tape on in the car that has songs for saint mary on like thursday of the holy week, is that wrong? 

+mahraeel+
  • No it certainly is not, like we said, the rites of the church during that week have nothing to do with your personally, ideally, its nice to just focus on Holy Week, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to things outside their season.
  • Well Holy Week have it's own reverence in every house and one's life. in my house there is no entertainment of what so ever....just holy week hymns of the many choruses and canters and deacons out there. i heard other people do eat anything "sweet". it's different for every person and ho you'd want to share with Christ during that week.
  • wait, do you guys have audios for all the Alhan listed above?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7326.msg97202#msg97202 date=1226632058]
    wait, do you guys have audios for all the Alhan listed above?

hmm....yeah. they're all here on tasbeha.org
  • because i used to play piano and ubouna said dont take lessons during holy week unless u play something like golgotha and so i thought it was wrong...

+mahraeel+