There probably is no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your lives

2»

Comments

• What a horrible thing to be forced to read such ungraceful things and not be able to respond
    I went to the news site to learn that this famous advocate of evolution theory - I call him Richard Dawrkness - is one of the main sponsors.

the roots of this are from here:
    http://www.atheistcampaign.org/

After searching around, I quote from a very good creationist site I know:
    "Let me shock you further and illustrate how some of these God-haters think.

Quoting Harris, a source reported: “If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion,” Harris explains, “I would not hesitate to get rid of religion.”

Dawkins insists that Christians have no right to indoctrinate their children in religious “nonsense.” He continues, saying that children being brought up in Christian homes are being exposed to an “infection”—and Christianity is the most “dangerous thing in the world.”

One of Dawkins’ recent “evangelistic” talks was actually given in a packed church (the First Parish church in Cambridge, Massachusetts)! What times we live in! A news report stated:“At first his [Dawkins] words are greeted with laughter, and then with resounding applause … .” The words he preached were from his book:

" The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." by Richard Dawrkness

And that's what the Lord says in Romans 1:20-23 (NKJV):
    20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Psalm 74:22
    Arise, O God, plead Your own cause;
    Remember how the foolish man reproaches You daily.

Job 12:17
    He leads counselors away stripped and makes fools of judges.

Our golden rule is in Proverbs 1:7
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

A response to the bad posters could be like this:
    There surely is God our eternal creator.
    So you can choose your eternity.

GBU
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7244.msg96369#msg96369 date=1225117330]

I have read this dialogue before and I have two questions:

1. I heard it was Einstein who spoke the words the student spoke, is that true?
    2. Can we say that there is a place where God is not? Where He is absent?
        (The absence of God being the abscense of good and love, being the presence of evil..)

"Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into
        heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."

God Bless
    Please pray for me

There are no records of Einstein having said that. Besides, Einstein was some sort of an agonist. Another thing is that, he was not as bright in his school days , he even had to repeat an entrance examination to get admission to the University.Needless the mention,Einstein went to school in German speaking Europe, so the original text should have been in the German language and to my knoweledge there exists none. So i guess, someone just added his name to make it more appealing to readers ( I read another version of the  story in our church newspaper and his name is listed there). Thus, that probability that it came from him is very slim.

b) Evil is the absence of GOD. God is good and hence we can deduce that Evil is the absence of good.Eventhough God created everything seen and unseen, he did not create evil,for evil is not a thing but something that happens as a result of something else. But God allows evil to take place. Do I make any sense?
  • Thanks again Hezekial for this link.

WOW! I mean, i'm speachless about all this.

But one thing that comes to mind is this:

What makes me worry is the thought that there is no God. I believe in Equilibrium. In Justice. I believe that if Justice is not served here on earth, it will be served later in the Eternal Life.

They are preaching that God does not exist, and not only that, but to "stop worrying".

On LBC Radio a few years ago - the presenter started talking about God. Most presenters are atheists, but this one was different. Apparently, his brother had a brain tumour and was dying in hospital. So, the presenter said "All medical processes and trials were carried out on him, and the only option left was prayer... we prayed, and we prayed, and miraculously, my brother was healed".

Let God answer these people in his own brilliant way, the same way he answered Saul who was persecuting Christians. Let's pray that God reveals Himself to Dawkins. Its basically the audacity and sheer arrogance of one man who really has an evil and ignorance driven agenda against Christianity.

Let's pray he answers Dawkins the same way he answered Arius.

Let's pray he answers Dawkins the same way he answered the prayers of 10000's of people plagued by cancer and now healed.

• [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7244.msg96415#msg96415 date=1225157436]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7244.msg96369#msg96369 date=1225117330]

(The absence of God being the abscense of good and love, being the presence of evil..)

"Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into

God Bless
    Please pray for me

There are no records of Einstein having said that. Besides, Einstein was some sort of an agonist. Another thing is that, he was not as bright in his school days , he even had to repeat an entrance examination to get admission to the University.Needless the mention,Einstein went to school in German speaking Europe, so the original text should have been in the German language and to my knoweledge there exists none. So i guess, someone just added his name to make it more appealing to readers ( I read another version of the  story in our church newspaper and his name is listed there). Thus, that probability that it came from him is very slim.

b) Evil is the absence of GOD. God is good and hence we can deduce that Evil is the absence of good.Eventhough God created everything seen and unseen, he did not create evil,for evil is not a thing but something that happens as a result of something else. But God allows evil to take place. Do I make any sense?

You make sense, but there's one thing I don't understand though... If God is infinite and omnipresent, then how can it be that there is a place where there is evil, which is the absense of God?
  • Like minagir had said, evil is not the absense of God, evil is the absense of good within humans and the world, not from God.
  • Jeremiah 23 (NKJV)
    16 Thus says the LORD of hosts:
          “ Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you.
          They make you worthless;
          They speak a vision of their own heart,
          Not from the mouth of the LORD.

17 They continually say to those who despise Me,
          ‘ The LORD has said, “You shall have peace”’;
          And to everyone who walks according to the dictates of his own heart, they say,
          ‘ No evil shall come upon you.’”
          18 For who has stood in the counsel of the LORD,
          And has perceived and heard His word?
          Who has marked His word and heard it?

19 Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD has gone forth in fury—
          A violent whirlwind!
          It will fall violently on the head of the wicked.
          20 The anger of the LORD will not turn back
          Until He has executed and performed the thoughts of His heart.
          In the latter days you will understand it perfectly.

GBU
  • There surely is God our eternal creator.
    So you can choose your eternity.

Yea i like that^^ it makes sense=)

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7244.msg96432#msg96432 date=1225203863]

You make sense, but there's one thing I don't understand though... If God is infinite and omnipresent, then how can it be that there is a place where there is evil, which is the absense of God?

Sorry for this late reply.

The first part of Genesis repeatedly say "And God saw that it was good", after every creation.This tells me that anything good is the presence of God. The NT also says, that 'every good gift is from above'. I 'd like to believe that evil is the absence of God. I dont think,God resides in the heart of Satan,unless you think otherwise. When king David says " Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.", my understanding is that King David is simply witnessing the  ominpresence of God,His ability to insert Himself into and affect events anywhere in His creation. God created everything, icluding Hell. When the Pslamist says 'Lift up your heads, O you gates;be lifted up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in',David is stressing the fact the God has the authority over everything. This means, God is capable of being everywhere  all at once, if He so desires.No one can escape or hide from God anywhere.

• Absolutely stunning thread you have got going here, and I am smiling reading through it, with everybody sharing their opinions in a beautiful manner - a great example of the fellowship of Christianity and people's love for each other shining through.  :)

This may be slightly off-topic, but I once heard a metaphor about God's presence, in which his divine radiance is like light shining through dusty windows onto the inside of a dusty house. Despite the windows being dirty with dust, the light shines through it, and radiates heat onto the inside of the room. Despite the room being dusty and neglected, the light still shines upon it, never being itself hindered or defiled by the dust in the room. So it is with God's presence in the world. There is no place without God being present, be it clean or dirty. Sin occurs around us and all over the world, and although God hates sin, and does not sin, he has granted man free will, and man was corrupted through sin. Sin however cannot touch God, his Divine radiance cannot be spoiled by sin, like the light shining on the dust. He simply allows it because of our free will. We can therefore conclude that there is no place without God's Almighty presence. A place of evil as a result of sin does not mean that God is not present, because his omnipresence is unquestionable. He simply does not manifest himself there, because God hates sin. There is no "absence of God", but rather places where God does not manifest himself because of his hate of sin.

nice to talk to you all again and please pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7244.msg96695#msg96695 date=1225813686]
    A place of evil as a result of sin does not mean that God is not present, because his omnipresence is unquestionable. He simply does not manifest himself there, because God hates sin. There is no "absence of God", but rather places where God does not manifest himself because of his hate of sin.
    nice to talk to you all again and please pray for me
    joe

Our 'Joe the plumber' :D is back. Welcome back Joe! You were greatly missed.Your last paragraph have clearly summed up the point.Thanks for your input and do stay.
  • There is one problem with the atheists of the world. They are ignorant and do not wish to listen to anyone else's opinions
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7244.msg96719#msg96719 date=1225840522]
    There is one problem with the atheists of the world. They are ignorant and do not wish to listen to anyone else's opinions

Thats a generalization and not always the case, some really do want to learn, and are athiests because they didn't have good experiences with religeon in the past.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7244.msg96710#msg96710 date=1225839069]
    [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7244.msg96695#msg96695 date=1225813686]Our 'Joe the plumber' :D is back. Welcome back Joe! You were greatly missed.Your last paragraph have clearly summed up the point.Thanks for your input and do stay.

Hahaha  :D thanks Hezekiel its good to be back and good to get learning again (my mind has long since emptied itself of any useful knowledge)  :)
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7244.msg96752#msg96752 date=1225895739]
    [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7244.msg96710#msg96710 date=1225839069]
    [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7244.msg96695#msg96695 date=1225813686]Our 'Joe the plumber' :D is back. Welcome back Joe! You were greatly missed.Your last paragraph have clearly summed up the point.Thanks for your input and do stay.

Hahaha  :D thanks Hezekiel its good to be back and good to get learning again (my mind has long since emptied itself of any useful knowledge)  :)
    \

hahha lol welcome bak

+mahraeel+
  • Thanks mahraeel  :)
  • np=))
    GBU
    +mahraeel+
  • What I was thinking about was this:

Richard Dawkins was in the faculty of sciences at Oxford. I forget which college. He is a strong proponent of atheism.

How is it the academics studying theology or Divinity at Oxford (for example, H.E Bishop Kallistos et al) don't counter argue such theories.

If God exists - it has to be proven - once and for all!!!!

If Genesis is incorrect - it means the ENTIRE BIBLE is incorrect. Christ came to redeem Adam and Eve. He came to restore them back to their former state. If they weren't even created, nor sinned, then the entire Bible is incorrect.

This is very serious stuff here.

Atheists still cannot, as far as I know, explain one fundamental question: WHY ARE WE HERE!?
  • What is bizzare is that people like Dawkins are said to be radical atheists.But isnt is true that the whole point of being an atheist is being absolute CERTAIN that God does not exist at all? The ad that reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" . The word  'probably' makes their argument meaningless ,but yet folks like Dawkins have donated large sum of money to a campaign that cast doubts on the existance of their creator. The question is,aren't they sure?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7244.msg96890#msg96890 date=1226263462]
    If God exists - it has to be proven - once and for all!!!!

Were it so easy :(

There is no definitive proof that God exists. But by the same token, you have no definitive proof that I exist, you've never met me. But there is evidence for both me and God, and that is what arguments revolve around.

The thing is, one of the hardest things to find in a discussion between an athiest and a theist is objectivity. Its downright impossible. The emotion and bias on both sides is incredible. Most honest Christians will admit in a discussion that they are very biased towards one side, but athiests often seem to think that since they believe in nothing, they are incapable of bias. That's just wrong, they have a very strong 'faith' in the fact that God doesn't exist and they will go to exactly the same lengths to disprove God as a theist will to prove God. Its a very messy situation and makes it VERY hard to make a biased athiest see that they are not being objective. It makes actually getting anywhere painstakingly difficult.

What I'm getting to, is no amount of evidence will ever change Richard Dawkins mind. He is not arguing logic, he is preaching a faith just like Billy Graham. So its not worth arguing with the likes of him, they've already made up their minds, instead we should focus our attention on the people who are genuinely looking for an answer.

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7244.msg96890#msg96890 date=1226263462]
    Atheists still cannot, as far as I know, explain one fundamental question: WHY ARE WE HERE!?

The main argument for atheism I have encountered is after the Big Bang, every effect has a natural cause up until now; Big Bang, the formation of the stars and our planet, the formation of the first cell, evolution and here we are. No need for God. Of course there is a lot wrong with that argument (too much to go through in one post) and more importantly, it is not an argument against God, it just suggests we don't need Him to explain how we came about. And there is lot of evidence for God's existence outside of science as well.

So in the end, all we can do is like St. Paul said 'be ready in season and out of season to defend the faith' (I forgot the reference so the words aren't exact but you get the idea lol)

Pray for me