Violent Video Games/Movies or Any form of Entertainment?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What do you guys think of this issue, is it really bad for me to be playing violent video games?
I mainly ask this because I want to develop video games later in my life for a software company, and maybe ill be asked to create violent video games.

Also what do you think of movies with violence and cursing?

Comments

• [quote author=ChristopherBoctor link=topic=7217.msg95774#msg95774 date=1224278456]
    I mainly ask this because I want to develop video games later in my life for a software company, and maybe ill be asked to create violent video games.

Hey me too! If possible...I reckon games are about to become the next major art form, like movies and books are now. This period is like the black and white era for movies, the writing and quality level is absolutely sucky, but bit by bit, they're becoming more and more believable. They're going to be an awesome tool for emotion, moreso than movies and books because they're so much more involving! What kind of job would you take in the industry? Like a programming one or the creative side?

Anyways...I watch movies with violence and swearing, and so does my dad, who is a priest. He always says "You take the good and leave the bad." If you avoided movies and games because of things like this, you wou.d miss out on a lot of great, even Christian messages. A perfect example is 'The Shawshank Redemption'. The swearing and sexual references are very, very frequent and its pretty violent too. But its one of he most inspiring, and actually very Christian movies I've ever seen. It explores things like hypocrisy, faith, determination in the face of horrible, horible circumstances and most importantly REDEMPTION, as the name implies. Is it wise to discredit the rest of the film just because of the swearing? That's too picky I think, as long as it doesn't affect you...
    So yeah, interested to see what everyone else thinks on this...
  • This is an interesting topic :)...I tried to see If I could get into Video Game Development, but the circumstances wouldnt allow me after I graduated *sighs*. Glad to see some aspiring youth here (assuming that you posters above me havent graduated yet).

Well to get on topic, it really depends on what your aims in video game development are and your level of maturity towards watching/playing such mediums. As someone whose had a long history playing video games, I can definetely tell you that you can draw a fine line between what is acceptable to partake in and what is not. For me personally, the games I choose to play depends on what content they present and what benefit they have later on. I dont indulge in games with excessive, glorifed violence or games with incessant swearing. It takes too much of the postive environment around me and subliminally places constant negative thoughts towards others or myself.

Let me give you an example. If I were to play, say Super Mario Galaxy: this game has puzzle solving skills, an immerxive environment and is good for younger children. Then take for example the Grand Theft Auto series: while it has excellent gameplay, graphics and an in-depth storyline, it has excessive swearing, sexual content and other material not suitable for those who are still in their early teens. It is far more difficult to remove such content from your mind at a younger age, while an older (more mature person) can brush this aside with greater discretion. This isnt always the case, news reports have shown adults my age have committed murder after playing such games (Take the 'Manhunt Incident' for example). But it is wiser to adhere to Christian ethics and attempt to play games which will not take you away from God.

As St. Paul says 'All things are lawful for me but not all things are good'.

Hope I Helped :D

P.S. I really do hope you end up being a high profile video game developer. It would be quite awesome to see a Coptic enthusiast in this field :P
  • They are not bad as long as they don't affect you..... like if you play GTA for example, and you hear them swearing , and you go repeat it, then it is wrong... but if you just take it in one ear and out the other, its fine, like playing a game is better for you to fill your time, then for you to sit with nothing to do or fall in sin......  my reason ffor violent video games is (i am try to be as non-violent as i can be in life): i play violent games a to take out the violence, (like in a shooting game, u can shoot people and let out your anger or whtever...... like be vilent in games and be a pacifist(peacefull) in life.....
  • i am hoping to be a programmer :)
    Unfortunately Australia isn't the best place for video game development :( .
  • hmmm but what do you guys think of movies with kissing, or ones with scenes with girls in bikini's or w.e. or that show a sex scene with not actually showing the sex?

rhmm sorry about this. Sorry if i have caused you to sin.
    i just want an answer, and i dont know how to ask this question :( ?
  • Well it really depends on what the purpose of including such content, Christopher. I can tell you with confidence that sex (specifically, but not exclusive to, video games) is used to help create sales by attracting the main demographic of teenage and adult male gamers. This is a plain fact that many people are aware of, no matter how abyssmal the actual game may be. With movies, especially of the Romantic Comedy type, sex plays no integral part to the spiritual benefit of any Christian, but acts as a hindrance.

Rarely will the majority of people watch a film with sexual references with the intention of getting a deep message from it, and those people that would watch it probably understand that a film wouldn't need some depictions anyway. Some films are just as effective in getting their message across without the explicit content but rather imply it. Some of these movies which use such techniques are often more meaningful to the viewer and have a more serious tone to the matter, so there's nothing wrong with that. Take for example a scene from a film adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth. One scene during the film portrayed the rape of a royal servant. Instead of portraying such a scene in extensive detail, it was implied from a distance amidst other acts of cruelty- this definetely gets the point across without making a person (a normal one anyway) have any intention of sinning, but see sin for what it is.

Remember that Christ said 'He who lusts after a woman in his heart has already comitted adultery with her' and so it is detrimental to all Christians. Movies with kissing, etc are alot more difficult to classify and should be context sensitive (Meaning they should be there only in the right place at the right time, or not there at all). Beachwear should only be present in the beach, for example, unless for a good reason.

*Looks at long post*...geez Ive been going off for a while...sorry if it was too much. Hope I helped!
  • If its going to affect your emotions, personality, faith and etc..then dont do it...If you are not affected then its no bigee.  bUt if u are listening to cursing and stuff more than likely u might start cursing...so TRY to stay away from that.  As to violence, im sure ur old enough to know right from wrong=)

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=Coptic Dragon link=topic=7217.msg95939#msg95939 date=1224502940]
    Well it really depends on what the purpose of including such content, Christopher. I can tell you with confidence that sex (specifically, but not exclusive to, video games) is used to help create sales by attracting the main demographic of teenage and adult male gamers. This is a plain fact that many people are aware of, no matter how abyssmal the actual game may be. With movies, especially of the Romantic Comedy type, sex plays no integral part to the spiritual benefit of any Christian, but acts as a hindrance.

Rarely will the majority of people watch a film with sexual references with the intention of getting a deep message from it, and those people that would watch it probably understand that a film wouldn't need some depictions anyway. Some films are just as effective in getting their message across without the explicit content but rather imply it. Some of these movies which use such techniques are often more meaningful to the viewer and have a more serious tone to the matter, so there's nothing wrong with that. Take for example a scene from a film adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth. One scene during the film portrayed the rape of a royal servant. Instead of portraying such a scene in extensive detail, it was implied from a distance amidst other acts of cruelty- this definetely gets the point across without making a person (a normal one anyway) have any intention of sinning, but see sin for what it is.

Remember that Christ said 'He who lusts after a woman in his heart has already comitted adultery with her' and so it is detrimental to all Christians. Movies with kissing, etc are alot more difficult to classify and should be context sensitive (Meaning they should be there only in the right place at the right time, or not there at all). Beachwear should only be present in the beach, for example, unless for a good reason.

*Looks at long post*...geez Ive been going off for a while...sorry if it was too much. Hope I helped!

My teacher told us that for a movie to sell well and have a big audience, they need to put in(well, depending on the genre) the right amount of talk, the right amount of confusion, the right amount of action and , well , u guessed it, the right amount of "inapropriate content"
  • thx guys.

God Bless
  • np=))]

+mahraeel+
  • NO because it is a form of a habit you will always get addicted to it
    Unless it does not affect you
    Instead of always playing violent videogames, replace it with reading the bible or going to chruch for praying, etc.
  • It really does depend on the context. I know that violence can be used well in the context of a particualr setting as a tool for the storytelling. If the violence serves a purpose, I don't think there's anyhting wrong with that, its like using dialogue, its just another emotion/mood setting technique. Take for example Braveheart which is a VERY violent movie. But the violence serves a purpose, its used to show you how nasty the situation was. It leaves a lasting impact on you, and makes you remember how dire the whole rebellion was.

With sexual content, its not such a big deal in games yet...GTA is the biggest culprit right now, but the thinkg that kills me is its actually a great game. GTA4 is a HUGE step forward in using games as a form of storytelling, the plot of that game and the characters were - dare I say - Shakepearean! But you can tell that they added the sexual content just to get into the headlines. But in games, sexual stuff isn't as pronounced as movies, esp. because right now, games just aren;t as powerful as movies. They don't impact you as much.One day they will, but not yet, because no matter how good the graphics, you can still tell its animated, and the writing in most games is just pathetic.

[quote author=ChristopherBoctor link=topic=7217.msg95853#msg95853 date=1224414437]
    i am hoping to be a programmer :)
    Unfortunately Australia isn't the best place for video game development :( .

Well thats up to us to change isn't it ;D I'm hoping to be on the creative end of the games, like the director or scriptwriter.
  • hahaha that would be just awesome, a group of coptic friends making a video game
    :)