visiting a Coptic Church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello to all.

I would like to know if there is anything I need to do when visiting a Coptic Church. I am Orthodox (OCA), and I will be moving soon to a new town where they have a Coptic liturgy once a month. I would really like to go, but I want to make sure that I don't do anything (or not do something) that would be out of place or offensive.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Hey Ella,

Well that's a very good question, my own teahcer was coming to visit my Church and I had to warn him about stuff....Ok....first of all maybe you would like to contact the Priest or a member of the Church so that they would be aware that you are coming.....Also you must remember not to take Communion since you are not of one of the Churches united with us....sadly ofcourse that not all Orthodox Churches are united...and also another advice would be not to stand on the Deacon's side.....Other than that if you read the Liturgy book it will explain what you are supposed to do....

God Bless.

Mike
  • Thanks for the info. I remember reading that the OCA and the Coptic are not united (though I'm not sure why - I'm a recent convert and still have a lot to learn). Just out of curiosity, why would I not stand on the deacon's side (and which side is it?).
  • Well just because it's where deacons stand and the rest of the congregation stands where the congregation should stand, ofcourse male's side and female's side and it's the pews in the very front that are looking towards each other that are the Deacons. In case of a visitor Priest from another denomination, he should stand in the very front of the congregation since he is a Priest, a higher rank than a deacon....