help needed with interpretation

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey I was wondering in what sense do we interpret this verse:

But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, (1 Corinthians 12:24)

The members of the Body of Christ being all humans... Could it be that what's meant is because Eve was first to sin, women have sometimes been unrightfully looked at as inferior in society (thus 'lacking' in honour), which is why God chose a woman, St. Mary to be given greater honour than any human ????

Thanks in advance

God bless
Please pray for me

Comments

• I actually think this is refering to the Gentiles at the time who accepted the faith BECAUSE the jews didn't. The Jews were God's people and His only people. However they refused Him and salvation was given to the whole world thus honoring parts that lacked it. Great example would be egypt itself. From the people who persecuted and enslaved the jews and worshipped pagan Gods to us now being Christians. This is what i got from the verse and is in no way a church view. Hope this helped a little
  • The homily given by St. John Chrysostom concerning this verse:

And those parts of the body which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

In every clause adding the term body, and thereby both consoling the one and checking the other. For I affirm not this only, says he, that the greater have need of the less, but that they have also much need. Since if there be any thing weak in us, if any thing dishonorable, this is both necessary and enjoys greater honor. And he well said, which seem, and, which we think; pointing out that the judgment arises not from the nature of the things, but from the opinion of the many. For nothing in us is dishonorable, seeing it is God's work. Thus what in us is esteemed less honorable than our genital members? Nevertheless, they enjoy greater honor. And the very poor, even if they have the rest of the body naked, cannot endure to exhibit those members naked. Yet surely this is not the condition of things dishonorable; but it was natural for them to be despised rather than the rest. For so in a house the servant who is dishonored, so far from enjoying greater attention, has not even an equal share vouchsafed him. By the same rule likewise, if this member were dishonorable, instead of having greater privileges it ought not even to enjoy the same: whereas now it has more honor for its portion: and this too the wisdom of God has effected. For to some parts by their nature He has given not to need it: but to others, not having granted it by their nature, He has compelled us to yield it. Yet are they not therefore dishonorable. Since the animals too by their nature have a sufficiency, and need neither clothing nor shoes nor a roof, the greater part of them: yet not on this account is our body less honorable than they, because it needs all these things.

Yea rather, were one to consider accurately, these parts in question are even by nature itself both honorable and necessary. Which in truth Paul himself imitated, giving his judgment in their favor not from our care and from their enjoying greater honor, but from the very nature of the things.

Wherefore when he calls them weak and less honorable, he uses the expression, which seem: but when he calls them necessary, he no longer adds which seem, but himself gives his judgment, saying, they are necessary; and very properly. For they are useful to procreation of children and the succession of our race. Wherefore also the Roman legislators punish them that mutilate these members and make men eunuchs, as persons who do injury to our common stock and affront nature herself.

But woe to the dissolute who bring reproach on the handy-works of God. For as many are wont to curse wine on account of the drunken, and womankind on account of the unchaste; so also they account these members base because of those who use them not as they ought. But improperly. For the sin is not allotted to the thing as a portion of its nature, but the transgression is produced by the will of him that ventures on it.

But some suppose that the expressions, the feeble members, and less honorable, and necessary, and which enjoy more abundant honor, are used by Paul of eyes and feet, and that he speaks of the eye as more feeble, and necessary, because though deficient in strength, they have the advantage in utility: but of the feet as the less honorable: for these also receive from us great consideration.

Pray for me,
    childoforthodoxy
  • For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. For in fact the body is not one member but many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be? But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

the eyebrow is higher than the eye... but yet its higher it doesn't make it more valuable... for the eye is important but the eyebrow is just decoration! so sometimes God gives us the honor which we don't deserve due to His love to us, and to not cause schisms like for example Athanasius! he was just a secretary to the pope nothing more nothing less! but by God's grace and love he was given honor to be a protector of faith!

akhdna el baraka... neshkor allah!
  • Thanks for your replies..