Gospel according to Saint Luke

Does anyone know an orthodox source where I can get information from the gospel according to Saint Luke? Also does anyone know the answer to these questions:
1) what is the connection between this gospel and Saint paul's epistle?
2)why is the symbol for this gospel an ox?
thanks

Comments

• [quote author=marmar_marmoora link=topic=6965.msg93158#msg93158 date=1216596959]
    Does anyone know an orthodox source where I can get information from the gospel according to Saint Luke? Also does anyone know the answer to these questions:
    thanks

2 - the ox symbal of course goes back to what is explained in the book of the Revelation. St. Luke tells the story of the ultimate Sacrifice, being Jesus Christ the Sacrifice on out behalf.
  • Hello marmar,

I refer you to St. Cyril of Alexandria's commentary on the Gospel of Luke:

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/index.htm#Cyril_on_Luke

Please let us know if you would like additional material. This is quite dense at times. If there is an Orthodox book store around you, you can also try obtaining a book entitled: "The Explanation by Blessed Theophylact on the Holy Gospel according to St. Luke."

childoforthodoxy
  • The ox, the sacrificial animal of the Old Covenant, symbolizes St. Luke, whose Gospel opens with the sacrifice offered by Zacharias.

saint Luke and saint Paul were "boys" Saint Luke was always with Saint Paul until Saint Paul was martyred! so they had the same style of preaching... almost!
  • Saint Luke (may his blessings be with us all- especially me in my upcoming Medical Exams :P), was called by St. Paul "the beloved Physician". Thus the connection. He is truly an inspiring and amazing Apostle. St. Paul, called him "beloved", which means he was truly very involved in the ministry. He was obviously using his talent in the Ministry- I have read countless accounts that the original manuscripts of St. Luke's Gospel is so well-written, and the language and syntax reveals a rather gifted man. Not only does he have such an esteemed portfolio as the patron saint of Health Professionals, but he is also the patron saint of Historians and Art. His Gospel epistle was written so marvellously and had references to secular events, and thus has been invaluable in developing a timetable for the life of Christ and collaboration with other events in Ancient Palestine. Further, he was the man who drew a portrait of the blessed Virgin, and is sometimes considered the champion of Inconphiles.

God bless.
  • does that icon still exist? (the one He drew of St.MAry?)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6965.msg93160#msg93160 date=1216598449]
    [quote author=marmar_marmoora link=topic=6965.msg93158#msg93158 date=1216596959]
    thanks

2 - the ox symbal of course goes back to what is explained in the book of the Revelation. St. Luke tells the story of the ultimate Sacrifice, being Jesus Christ the Sacrifice on out behalf.

ok. Thank you sooooooooooo much.