Is heavy metal music from the devil?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello (again!),

Yes. I'm still here and I'd like to know if Heavy metal music is condoned in our CHurch? What about listening to Pop music??

Is there any type of music that our Church does not condone?

If it does not condone heavy metal music, is it just one particular song, one particular band, or the entire genre itself of heavy metal music?

Thanks

Comments

• I was just being different and thought I should put the group NICKELBACK's  song, Rockstars as the ringback tone on my cell once. The thing is no one really thought I would put that song. I got a very mixed reaction, I am thinking the church doesn't have a point of view about the music but yet again depending on who is playing the music you'll get mixed feelings.
  • Personaly ,i think  some songs are just vulgare and shouldn't be listened to, but i beleive erybody has the right to listen to whatever they want..... i choose not to defile my mind with all the swears from rap and all that junk....
  • 1 Corinthians 6:12
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=6954.msg93064#msg93064 date=1216414312]
    1 Corinthians 6:12
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.

So, does pop music edify? What edifies?
    Is there a genre of music that does not edify?? I know definately that britney spears does not edify.
    But, does Michael Jackon edify?? or is it best to stay away from him also?
  • i would say what edifies, is what you want to be edifyed... you are the judge

likefor me i do not edify rap at all.... but others sat my Church only listen to rap,
  • i don;t think it;s fair to say that all anything is "from the devil"  i mean sure some songs are probably not the best to listen to but others are ...just music...not benefitting you but not from the devil !

I mean if everytime you came across that didn't benefit you spiritually or didn't apeal to everyone and ect. then there are a billion things you could say are "from the devil".
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6954.msg93126#msg93126 date=1216509388]
    i don;t think it;s fair to say that all anything is "from the devil"  i mean sure some songs are probably not the best to listen to but others are ...just music...not benefitting you but not from the devil !

I mean if everytime you came across that didn't benefit you spiritually or didn't apeal to everyone and ect. then there are a billion things you could say are "from the devil".

well, guess what?, these "billion" things ARE from the devil......
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6954.msg93133#msg93133 date=1216535530]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6954.msg93126#msg93126 date=1216509388]
    i don;t think it;s fair to say that all anything is "from the devil"  i mean sure some songs are probably not the best to listen to but others are ...just music...not benefitting you but not from the devil !

I agree. If it doesn't edify you, then its not from God. If its not from God, then it must be from mr. D.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6954.msg93148#msg93148 date=1216579862]
    [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6954.msg93133#msg93133 date=1216535530]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6954.msg93126#msg93126 date=1216509388]

I agree. If it doesn't edify you, then its not from God. If its not from God, then it must be from mr. D.

call mr d "shoushou" instead of mr. d.    it sounds cooler.....
  • I used to call him "shoushou" ages ago - that's when we were on speaking terms. Now, I don't even bother with him.
  • Music being the language of the soul, and is something we tend to meditate both consciously and subconsciously, has a very profound impact on the essence of a person. Tradition tells us that Lucifer was in charge of the Angelic Choir. With such a role, he must have known Music in such an intimate way. The pitch, the melody, the rhythm, harmony, timbre and texture, all work on one's mesolimbic system, especially your amygdala (the heart of the Limbic system/ the "emotion centre"). This works on one's hypothalamus (regulates everything from sleep patterns, eating habits, hormones etc), which has central intrinsic control over body rhythms, and thus, music has the potential to completely disturb one's self.

So, be careful.

• [quote author=clay link=topic=6954.msg93175#msg93175 date=1216651351]
    Music being the language of the soul, and is something we tend to meditate both consciously and subconsciously, has a very profound impact on the essence of a person. Tradition tells us that Lucifer was in charge of the Angelic Choir. With such a role, he must have known Music in such an intimate way. The pitch, the melody, the rhythm, harmony, timbre and texture, all work on one's mesolimbic system, especially your amygdala (the heart of the Limbic system/ the "emotion centre"). This works on one's hypothalamus (regulates everything from sleep patterns, eating habits, hormones etc), which has central intrinsic control over body rhythms, and thus, music has the potential to completely disturb one's self.

So, be careful.

Clay,
    Yeah.. what u say is true.. whenever I hear Britney spears, i feel like killing someone..
    I don't know why.

But I noticed that singing "Neknai O Panoti" to kids / babies makes them fall asleep.

So, at the end of the day, u agree that some music is satanic?
  • yes, tons and tons of music is satanic, yet lots of people chose to listen to it.....
  • I once heard a sermon, and the preacher (I forget who it was), he said that any music that you would not listen to if Jesus was standing there, then you should not listen to at all. Also, he said that if the music you listen to, is because that it is pleasing to your flesh because you like it, then it is wrong also.
  • Hmmm this sounds like a bit too far for me with all due respect to the priest... I mean it's not wrong to enjoy, not everything that is pleasing to the flesh is wrong... Like feeling the warm egyptian sun on your skin, or a midsomer night's breeze on your face, etc.
    I'm not saying everything that is pleasing to the flesh is right either though..
    A certain abouna always says: you have an excellent radar in you to help you discern between what's right and wrong-> the Holy Spirit

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • WWJD....  because some of us can't imagine what Jesus would do, you can try using, your Shafee3? or maybe Abouna.....  would you listen to tht music if Abouna was there? would you even dare listen to this music while your parents are around and are fully aware of what is being said in these song?
  • i once thought all heavy metal was rubbish and not appropriate for christian ears BUT if u listen to the words, some of the songs are simply expressing their hardships in life and struggles jus like ne other person who has a talent such as an artist, some people associate heavy metal to satan and become heavily involved in this notion whilst others use this kind of music to help them get through the day, if your going through a rough patch in life and then u listen to someone else talking about their struggles it can be motivating although at the same token can also depress people, it depends on the individuals reaction, and keep in mind heavy metal and rock music also talks about anti-wars and environmentalists stuff, so as to voice their opinion on certain political stands....

further more in regards to pop n what not, its all about the words....some songs are degrading and absolute rubbish but are CATCHY, so this is where we need to consciously decide what we shud or shudnt be exposed to

God bless and take care