Turning the Other cheek

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Ok so we know that Jesus said turn the other cheek...walk the second mile....give him ur cloak...

but we also see that when Jesus was hit at his trial he asked the guard why he had hit him. This shows us we have to stand up for ourselves

My question IS NOT why did Jesus do this

My question is when do we turn the other cheek, and when do we stand up for our rights?

Thanks in advance and God bless

Comments

• we see that in law... if you can prove your point... do it to the best of your ability... and when you run out of ideas, to save yourself from an accusation...God will take care of the rest... “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.”

so that brings me to the next point if someone slaps you across the face, and you stay quite, and you lose your peace, and you become less of a Christian, than it is by all means your fault for not defending yourself... (if you can endure without taking that person to the full penalty of the law, then by all means don't!) but in the law you cant hit somebody and get away with it... its a crime... thus you can take that person to court, and him/her suffer the penalty of the law!

so in conclusion you can turn the other cheek to the literal meaning when you know it wont hurt you spiritually!
  • Thanks man

anyone else have anything

he summed it up but i wanna know all the points of view

GOD Bless

• But the thing is: we always say: turn the other cheeck OR defend yourself

I say why can't we do both at the same time???

When the servant hit Jesus, Christ didn't hit him back (although he could) so he turned the other cheek, yet he did not let this injustice happen without commenting on it to show that person that he was wrong

So I think as good christians our main focus in a situation like this would be not to let anger and revenge feelings get a hold of us, and in controlling them and thus not returning evil with evil we turn the other cheek, yet nothing prohibits us from protesting within our own rights and withing the boundaries of the law

Just what I think (I might be completely wrong...)

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=6882.msg92292#msg92292 date=1215203905]
    Ok so we know that Jesus said turn the other cheek...walk the second mile....give him ur cloak...

but we also see that when Jesus was hit at his trial he asked the guard why he had hit him. This shows us we have to stand up for ourselves

My question is when do we turn the other cheek, and when do we stand up for our rights?

Well - if the person is bigger than u, offer the other cheek. If he's just a regular joe - ask him why he hit u.

If its a priest.. from my own experiences, turn the cheek and just walk away.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6882.msg93111#msg93111 date=1216475499]
    [quote author=Christrules link=topic=6882.msg92292#msg92292 date=1215203905]

Well - if the person is bigger than u, offer the other cheek. If he's just a regular joe - ask him why he hit u.

If its a priest.. from my own experiences, turn the cheek and just walk away.

man, you have quite a bit of adventures with Preists, don't you?