contradiction??

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 9

26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. 1 Kings 4

Comments

• the foot note states... Following Masoretic Text and most other authorities; some manuscripts of the Septuagint read four...

but I think in kings its his reign... but in chronicles only "at Jerusalem"
  • some muslims guy showed me this verse a long time ago, but i never got into looking it up. They claim that is proof that the bible is corrupt, that here there 2 different writers of the bible wrote two different things.
  • I asked this question ages ago on tasbeha.org.

• Some claim the differences between Luke 3 and Matthew 1 (family tree of Jesus) are also proof of the gospels being made up...
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6867.msg92127#msg92127 date=1215000716]
    Some claim the differences between Luke 1 and Matthew 1 (family tree of Jesus) are also proof of the gospels being made up...

that was proven wrong. becasue they are 2 diffrent gospel. one have the family tree from Joseph's , the other from Mary's
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6867.msg92152#msg92152 date=1215015625]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6867.msg92127#msg92127 date=1215000716]
    Some claim the differences between Luke 1 and Matthew 1 (family tree of Jesus) are also proof of the gospels being made up...

that was proven wrong. becasue they are 2 diffrent gospel. one have the family tree from Joseph's , the other from Mary's

They're both of Joseph, since traditionally it's always the male.

And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,.. (Luke 3)

and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. (Matthew 1)

It doesn't say who was the father of Mary..
  • Luke focuses on the humanity of the Christ… that’s why his gospel is represented by the man, while Matthew focuses on strength, and power, his gospel is represented by the bull… thus why he foucuses on kingship…  they both trace back to Abraham,  through king david, but they differ in the way they do it, they start approaching it differently, one with power, and the other with humanity! 

Matthew's genealogy you’ll find Jesus's title "Christ", in the sense of an "anointed" king. It starts with Solomon and proceeds through the kings of Judah up to and including Jeconiah… few of the kings are left out… like Azariah/Uzziah is given as the son of Jehoram/Joram, so it skips four generations. In Old Testament times, many records were also reduced… Thus Jesus is established as legal heir to the throne of Israel. Now when we reach, Jeconiah the line of kings was terminated because Israel was  defeated by the Babylonians. The names continue with Jeconiah's son and his grandson Zerubbabel, who was  a notable figure …

now for Luke's genealogy descends through Nathan (not so known) son of King David, mentioned once in the Bible, with an indirect claim to the throne of David. Luke's genealogy involves Jesus's title is the son of God, being a descendant of Adam who was created by God.  In Luke the genealogy is followed right after “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased” then goes on… with the addition of earlier ancestors before Abraham and then he finishes it with… the son of Adam, the son of God.

Also don’t forget… The use of the term 'son' was often used in the sense of a descendant or a head of a household's relative living under the same roof. An example of this in the Hebrew Bible would be Manasseh, who was described as the 'son' of Jair. However it is revealed in 1st Chronicles 2:21-23 and 7:14-15 that he is actually the distant son-in-law of Jair. Thus calling Jesus the 'son of Joseph' could be interpreted to mean Jesus was a member of Joseph's household.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6867.msg92107#msg92107 date=1214980229]
    I asked this question ages ago on tasbeha.org.

did you get an answer?? If you did can you just give me the link
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6867.msg92091#msg92091 date=1214965330]
    25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 9

26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. 1 Kings 4

These are the kind of verses that Muslims and anti-christian loonies intentionally fish out from the Holy Bible to desecrate the true word of God.They call it contradictions .You can do much better than that and with all due respect,should have asked for clarification before you hasten to use the same deregatory lable on the Holy Bible.

The  Holy Bible is the inspired word of God.Period. Whatever word or verse that seem confusing is either our lack of understanding or rare human error as might seem to be the case with this issue. The reason, for example,  that the above two verses look baffling is that because, an error was made when copying the texts from the original Hebrew text.  The verse on Kings has 1 more zero and it is in this verse that the numbers are wrongly transferred. The reason : 1 Kings 10:26 tells us that  Solomon' s chariots were but 1,400 for which 40,000 horses could not possibly be required.

I hope this helps.
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6867.msg92091#msg92091 date=1214965330]

look at the verse carefully, first he says he has this man FOR this and that and then the next one says he had this many OF this and that, but im not totally sure if thats right but to me it made sense