Happy Feast of the Pentecost!

edited June 2008 in Random Issues
I would like to congratulate everybody for tomorrow, the Glorious Feast of the Pentecost, where the Holy Spirit the Comforter descended upon the pure Apostles in Jerusalem, marking the beginning of the foundations of the Church.

[coptic]Pi`Pneuma `mParaklyton@ vy`etaf`i ejen ni`apoctoloc qen `psai `n]pentykocty@ aucaji qen hanmys `nlac. [/coptic] 

The Spirit the Paraclete, dwelt upon the apostles on the feast of Pentecost, and they spoke in many tongues.

الروح القدس الذي حلًّ علي الرسل في عيد البنطيقسطى فتكلّموا بألسنةٍ كثيرة.

[coptic]Acswpi etaujok `ebol@ `nje `niehoou `nte ]pentykocty@ nau;ou`yt tyrou hi ouma@ `nje pimyt`cnau `napoctoloc. [/coptic]
When the fifty days were complete, the twelve apostles were all gathered together.

وكان لما كمُلت أيام الخمسين كانوا معاً الإثني عشر رسولاً.

[coptic]Pi`Pneuma `mParaklyton@ etaf`i epecyt `ebolqen `tve@ afvwrs ejen vouai vouai@ aucaji qen hanmys `nlac.[/coptic]

The Spirit the Paraclete, descended from heaven, and spread over each one, so they spoke in many tongues.

الروح المعزي لما نزل من السماء انبسط علي كلّ واحد فنطقوا بأسنةٍ كثيرة.

May God bless us on this day as we remember the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, for the Glory of His Name.

pray for me

joe

Comments

• Kol sana wenta tayeb

May God Bless this year for you and help you throughout life

Keep me in your prayers
  • Wa enta tayeb, and may God also bless you hundredfold thanks,

pray for me

joe
  • Why does the Icon have 12 diciples and not 11? Im confused, does anyone know?
  • Kol Sana wentom Tayebeen, Happy Feast of the Pentecost. Its almost a bitter sweet occasion because it truley is a day of joy but also the last day of the Holy 50 one of the most blessed times of the year.
  • Happy east of the Pentacost to you guys too :)

[quote author=Conqueror link=topic=6762.msg90806#msg90806 date=1213484910]
    Why does the Icon have 12 diciples and not 11? Im confused, does anyone know?

Good question!

I also have one,
    Why in the picture of the last super some have 12 disciples and some pixs have 11?
  • [quote author=Conqueror link=topic=6762.msg90806#msg90806 date=1213484910]

As far as the Last Supper, some of the icons have 11 and another guy a little to the side who appears to be leaving who obviously is Judas going to the priests to tell them where he will be. As far as for the Pentecost icon, Mathias was chosen to be a disciple instead of Judas so that's why there are 12 again.
  • A true icon of the last supper should show the 12 dicsiples but the one who depicts judas should have a bag of money because he was at the last supper. For Pentecost however, i think its just showing that Matthias who took judas' place is counted with the 12 and he was most likely there as PopeKyrillos said he was chosen to take his place before pentecost occured i believe
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6762.msg90811#msg90811 date=1213499939]
    [quote author=Conqueror link=topic=6762.msg90806#msg90806 date=1213484910]

As far as the Last Supper, some of the icons have 11 and another guy a little to the side who appears to be leaving who obviously is Judas going to the priests to tell them where he will be. As far as for the Pentecost icon, Mathias was chosen to be a disciple instead of Judas so that's why there are 12 again.

The pictures i have seen, it was 5-7 maybe 6-6 on each side! bas it wasn't someone leaving the room.

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6762.msg90812#msg90812 date=1213500071]
    A true icon of the last supper should show the 12 dicsiples but the one who depicts judas should have a bag of money because he was at the last supper. For Pentecost however, i think its just showing that Matthias who took judas' place is counted with the 12 and he was most likely there as PopeKyrillos said he was chosen to take his place before pentecost occured i believe

maybe i can't count! :P
    bas shouldn't we have a picture that has the same #s of disciples at the last supper? I am going to re-count how many again tmrw at church :) and i will let you know :D

bentBABAyasooa`
  • forgive me if i am wrong, but I think this icon depicts the event incorrectly. Wasn't it just St. Mary the mother of Christ present at pentecost, not all three Marys as the icon shows?
  • Yeah, I wondered about this icon.... Hmmmm.....  I've changed it, it was slightly dodgy, but no I think all three Marys were there

pray for me

joe
  • Kol Sana wento koloko tayebeen !!!

12Then they returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day's walk from the city. 13When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

24Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs." 26Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

This is from the book of Acts chapter one and two, it first talks about Mary and the other women being there, then about Matthias being chosen as the twelfth apostle, then it says on the day of the Pentecost they were ALL present, I think this implies also Mary and the other women since they were mentioned in chapter one.
    And there are indeed 12 apostles because Matthias was already chosen as it says in the first chapter and as jydeacon stated.

God Bless
    Please pray for me, a sinner
  • Excellent! Well explained thank you! :)

• forgive me if im wrong but...i hear that HH Pope Shenouda said that in the picture of the last supper
    Judas should not be there, because he left before Jesus instituted the Eucharist. So therefore there should only be 11 disciples.

God bless
  • Christrules, that's true, but I think the icon just wants to portray what is going to happen to Christ after the Eucharist. Remember that icons aren't like pictures, they have lots of symbols and meanings in them.
  • Yeah, thats right
    thanks

God Bless