Can God dwell in those who don't believe in him?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
So I was just reading about this Buddhist monk, who lit himself on fire for the sake of other Buddhists during the whole Vietnam conflict and it got me thinking.
Some of them show great discipline (like our monks) they all escape from the world and its carnal lusts (like our monks) they're main goal in life is to find "Buddha."  Some of them even reach higher levels of spirtuality where they can control their physical bodies enough to not be affected by pain or hunger.  So clearly these people are spiritual.  The monk who burned himself, his body was later recremated, but his heart was still intact, wchih served as a sign of spirtualness to his followers. 
Such abnormal manifestations dont' exactly happen bythemselves, clearly there is a higher power (God).  My question is do we believe that our God performs these "miracles" through these Buddhist monks, bcause they are generally good and spirtual people, even though they don't belive in him?

Comments

• I think no matter how good the guy is.....  it dosn't matter.... there is only one GOD and that is The One WE beleive in... other people beleive what they want.....    but GOD won't dwell in them.... (that is what i know.... please correct me if i am wrong)
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=6736.msg90297#msg90297 date=1213214499]
    they're main goal in life is to find "Buddha."

Actually I think there main goal is "Nirvana" - a state of bliss where the soul is not subject to reincarnation again.

[quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=6736.msg90297#msg90297 date=1213214499]
    Some of them even reach higher levels of spirtuality where they can control their physical bodies enough to not be affected by pain or hunger.  So clearly these people are spiritual.  The monk who burned himself, his body was later recremated, but his heart was still intact, wchih served as a sign of spirtualness to his followers. Such abnormal manifestations dont' exactly happen bythemselves, clearly there is a higher power (God).  My question is do we believe that our God performs these "miracles" through these Buddhist monks, bcause they are generally good and spirtual people, even though they don't belive in him?

God does not perform these "miracles". They are not miracles and these people cannot be defined as being spiritual. You can define it as ascetism, because they are bringing their bodies into subjection and are controlling them, with abstaining from food, attempting to ignore pain, torturing their bodies, because they believe that their bodies are evil, but they are not spiritual. They have no connection to God. There is no salvation for them. They do not know the Light and so walk in darkness. What they have achieved is to show the strength of a soul - its perseverance and dominion over the body by releasing the bonds of their spirits to a certain extent - but how much more so if these people knew God and had a faith deep in Christ! They would truly have surpassed their releasing of the bonds of the spirit to a greater extent. But, alas they are lost and are astray.

pray for me

joe
  • god will dwell in them to bring them to christianity and to the right path. i heard a lecture before from the Eccyc convention and the bishop gave an example of god saying that he resembles a navigation  system and that he leads the way but never forces people to follow the right path. But he will always remind u. the navigation system re-routes itself if u get lost but it will never take the wheel and force you back on the right road. But he'll tell us where we are standing and will tell them how to get back from our position. The bishop in the lecture told us to remember god wenever we see a navigation system.
  • I think God does dwell in the ppl who don't believe yet b/c lets take the Non-believers and they want to change and believe they have to be prepared b4 they are baptized and in the time b4 they are baptizing the Holy Spirit is working in him to prepare him
    correct me if im wrong
    Pray4me
    Copticdeacon
  • God will not dwell in anybody unless they are batised....  or at least that is what i know....      God will influence the way these people think and make them go get babtised... then He can dwell in them... right???
  • yea thats what im thinking like something inside them makes them say that what they are doing is wrong so they change
  • That would be God influencing them, but not God dwelling in them.... 
    at least that is what i think....  please correct meif i am wrong
  • God doesn't dwell in those who don't have the Holy Spirit, He influences them by sending them messengers and such, but he is not IN them. More like, around them.
  • [quote author=Georgeously Kool link=topic=6736.msg90726#msg90726 date=1213384306]
    god will dwell in them to bring them to christianity and to the right path.

It is important to note that this will happen if inside they are looking for him.

ST Moses the strong....was always looking...he would ask the sun IF YOU ARE GOD LET ME KNOW....

he was looking and God helped him!
  • oohhhh ok thanks for explainning tht