Marochasf

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
The tawaf Marochasf is said after the Psalm during the reading of the Holy Gospel in the presence of a Bishop, Metropolitan, Pope:

[coptic]Marou[acf qen `tek`klycia `nte peflaoc@ ouoh marou`cmou `erof hi `tka;edra `nte ni`precbuteroc@ je af,w `noumetiwt `m`vry] `nhan`ecwou@ eu``enau `nje ny`etcoutwn ouoh eu`eounof@ afwrk `nje P=o=c ouoh `nnefouwm `n`h;yf@ je `n;ok pe `vouyb sa `eneh@ kata `ttaxic `mMel,icedek. P=o=c caouinam `mmok peniwt e;ouab `mpatiar,yc papa abba (Senouda) pimahsomt. P=o=c ef`e`areh `etekmetwnq.[/coptic]

Let them exalt Him in the church of His people, and praise Him in the seat of the elders, for He has made His families like a flock if sheep, that the upright may see and rejoice. The Lord has sworn and will not repent, "You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek." The Lord is at your right hand, our saintly father, the patriarch, Pope Abba (Shenouda). The Lord keep your live.

فليرفعوه في كنيسة شعبه وليباركوه علي منابر الشيوخ لأنة جعل أبوة مثل الخراف. يُبصِرُ المستقيمون ويفرحون. أقسم الرب و لن يندم أنك أنت هو الكاهن إلي الأبد علي طقس ملشيصادق. الرب عن يمينك يا أبانا القديس البطريرك البابا المعظم الأنبا (شنودة). الرب يحفظ حياتك

Now I have noticed that the Greek word: [coptic]precbuteroc[/coptic] means priest. Hence the common translation "manaber el sheyookh" - منابر الشيوخ  "the seat of the elders" is a dodgy translation. Shouldn't it be "the seats of the priests"? Is it due to yet another dodgy translation from a Protestant Bible, who do not acknowledge the priesthood (bearing in mind that the "seats of the elders" phrase is used regularly all over the world).

pray for me

joe

Comments

• I don't think it's anything as deep or meaningful as that. I did a bit of reading around, and pulled this off Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, but it's a start!):

"Presbyter in the New Testament refers to a leader in local Christian congregations, then a synonym of episkopos (which has now come to mean bishop). In modern usage, it is distinct from bishop and synonymous with priest, pastor, elder, or minister in various Christian denominations. Its literal meaning in Greek (presbyteros) is "elder." "

By the looks of it, it's just the synonomous use of the word. English has a very large vocabulary (possibly larger than any other language, I'm not certain) so there's plenty of room for adjusting translation due to several English words meaning very similar things.

PS- When are you coming to Croydon Joe?!
  • Thanks LondonCopt for clarification... Do I know you?!..... Matthew?!

pray for me

joe
  • Hehe yup it's me! What gave it away?!
  • lol, well the fact that your username was LondonCopt, and that you signed off as Matthew in one of your posts, and the Croydon remark  ::) :P Tactful.  ;)

pray for me

joe