'How do I get the best out of life?'

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
[center][glow=red,2,300]+ In the Name of the Father , the Son , and the Holy Spirit , One God Amen + [/glow] [/center]

[center][glow=red,2,300]Thank God[/glow][/center]
Look back and thank God.
Look forward and trust God.
Look around and serve God.
Look within and find God!"

"I asked God, 'How do I get the best out of life?'

God said, 'Face your past without regrets.
Handle your present with confidence.
And prepare for the future without fear!'"

"Without God, our week is:
Mournday, Tearsday, Wasteday, Thirstday, Fightday, Shatterday and Sinday.

So, allow Him to be with you every day!"

"Life is short, so forgive quickly.
Believe slowly.
Love truly.
Laugh uncontrollably.
Never regret anything that makes you happy.
And have a wonderful journey with Lord Jesus here till u meet Him in the Heaven !!!"

mention me in ur prayers

Comments

• NICE :)
  • [quote author=Loca4Christ link=topic=6684.msg89324#msg89324 date=1212520184]
    NICE :)

What's so nice about this!!! This is protestant feel good popular psychology!!

God said, 'Face your past without regrets

If we didnt regret our pasts, what would we repent for?? What is repentence if not regretting what you've done (in the past!!). You cannot repent for something u will do in the future. In fact, in the Orthodox Church, unless u truly regret your past, your confession is not accepted. Abouna won't give u the absolution.

If I tell abouna :"Abouna, I slept with 100's of women so I could get to know myself better and who I am, I know God disapproves, but I do not regret the past. It made me who i am today". Then he'd tell me to get lost.

• Ok i Liked some parts of it For example:
    Look back and thank God
    Look around and serve God
    ALlow God to be with you every day
    Love truly
    Laugh uncontrollably

• " If I tell abouna :"Abouna, I slept with 100's of women so I could get to know myself better and who I am, I know God disapproves, but I do not regret the past. It made me who i am today". Then he'd tell me to get lost. "

Totally agree with that.... everything else was very nice tho. But that whole dont regret the past was not very christian. ALso "Never regret anything that makes you happy." People commit sins that make them happy, and to never regret a sin means it stays with you forever which means your not welcome into heaven. Heaven is for those who regret all evil done in their past. Heaven is for those who cry out to the lord to forgive their past. I think this would be a better orthodox thought...

"Life is short, repent quickly"
    "Believe always with no doubt"
    "Love everyone as Jesus loved you"
    "Laugh at death, Because our Lord has trampled over it"
    "Regret your sins which youve commited out of the weakness of your hearts"
    "Walk with the Lord on earth, so that you may rest with Him in heaven".

• [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6684.msg89384#msg89384 date=1212563736]
    " If I tell abouna :"Abouna, I slept with 100's of women so I could get to know myself better and who I am, I know God disapproves, but I do not regret the past. It made me who i am today". Then he'd tell me to get lost. "

Totally agree with that.... everything else was very nice tho. But that whole dont regret the past was not very christian. ALso "Never regret anything that makes you happy." People commit sins that make them happy, and to never regret a sin means it stays with you forever which means your not welcome into heaven. Heaven is for those who regret all evil done in their past. Heaven is for those who cry out to the lord to forgive their past. I think this would be a better orthodox thought...

"Life is short, repent quickly"
    "Believe always with no doubt"
    "Love everyone as Jesus loved you"
    "Laugh at death, Because our Lord has trampled over it"
    "Regret your sins which youve commited out of the weakness of your hearts"
    "Walk with the Lord on earth, so that you may rest with Him in heaven".

Its all soo protestant, feel good pyschology, and then they have the audacity to add God in there...
    Where's God???

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'

Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!

So, God has nothing to do with you. In most bibles, it says "lawless" - not "evildoers".. i prefer the term lawless.. it means those that have not kept His Commandments.

These people have/adhere to their own "right and wrong"... they change right from wrong to suit their mood, and what their hearts desire. If they do not regret their past, then they do not know God. Its clear. It means ALL this text was written by someone ungodly.

Does it sound nice to you?? Love Truley, believe slowly, laugh uncontrollably... IS ANY OF THAT IN THE BIBLE????

When I read the Agpeya, believe me, I love my Church more. The prayers that are given to us either between the Bible Chapters and those of the psalms, are STILL from the Bible!! I mean, a guy didnt just come along and write something that sounded cool.. its all inspired from the Bible.

All that silly stuff you wrote in this thread (the 1st Thread) is just feel good psychology.
    lol.. its telling you to do stuff that has NOTHING to do with God, and at the end of it, it says:

Never regret anything that makes you happy.
    And have a wonderful journey with Lord Jesus here till u meet Him in the Heaven !!!"

The people who preach such gibberish must be very charismatic, but its their personalities that are offered to feed you spiritual food, not the Word of God that convicts the heart. Their words do not convict the heart ONE bit. In fact, if you ask me, this entire text is inspired by satan who really doesn't want your heart to be convicted. No! He wants to portray God as someone that is a fun loving, person that is OK with anything you do - just so long as you love Him. He died for our sins.. so, honeslty, do u think saying

"never regret anything that makes you happy"

is something that is pleasing to God? He who died for your sins??

If i go and take drugs, and that makes me happy. If I sleep with women, and that makes me happy.. if I steal someone's money, that would make me happy. If he's not talking about the bad things which make me happy, then why in the sentence would he use "regret". Why on earth would anyone use the word "regret" when saying "never regret anything that makes you happy" - why? unless what you did had some immoral side to it.

"Laugh uncontrollaby" - what - is this found ANYWHERE in the Bible???

and right at the of all this bull**** is "and have a wonderful journey...."

lol.. yeah, right..

Take this TRIPE off my orthodox website.

What protestants DO NOT understand is this:

God does not need your love.
    He does not need you to say to Him: "We LOVE You" - emotionally.
    He does not need your praise either.
    What He needs is your righteousness, and there is NO righteousness in ANY of this.
    He wants your heart to belong to Him, but this entire thread is a way to make sure that your heart belongs to the world.

And moreover, look: this is from a Sikh Website.

Some funny person took it and just added the last verse about Jesus Christ in there.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=35404
  • Maybe a good verse would be:

"You are worth more than your sins in God Eyes".

And hence we treat people more than their mistakes. This is Coptic!!

Or, never depend on your good intentions to lead you out of temptation

Chisel His Commandments on the hard rock surface of your heart

You can write these down and POST THEM back to your protestant friends that gave you that nonsense and you can even quote me. I made them up. I wrote them. It may not be shakespeare, but its definately better than "laugh uncontrollably".
  • Settle down. We got the point. The Christian life is full of blessing and joy, because we take the cross unreservedly, with single-mindedness, with the hope of the resurrection. We mourn for our sins, and it hurts to be purged from them, and the pruning to bear more fruits is just horrifying. But because we are grafted in Christ, and if we truly abide in Him, at least trying to keep His commandments, He will then strengthen us, give us more grace, and clothe us with His righteousness.

Grace is expensive- it cost Christ His life. Grace is cheap- it is available to all who wills. Grace is expensive- we must carry the cross. Grace is cheap- for Christ bears the yolk with us, and sometimes when things are too difficult- for us.

To be sure, Christianity without faith is an evil religion- it is unprofitable- it is self-denail. But with faith- what you have lost- you gain much more- the inheritance of Christ- the Son of God!

As St. Augustine said: "I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all; and whatever I placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

And here is the clincher- the strength we have now, already, is by the grace of God. The support you have, already, is by the grace of God. the will you have is already by the grace of God. You are called- God will qualify. Does a student take credit for learning what he was taught?
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6684.msg89390#msg89390 date=1212574206]
    Settle down. We got the point. The Christian life is full of blessing and joy, because we take the cross unreservedly, with single-mindedness, with the hope of the resurrection. We mourn for our sins, and it hurts to be purged from them, and the pruning to bear more fruits is just horrifying. But because we are grafted in Christ, and if we truly abide in Him, at least trying to keep His commandments, He will then strengthen us, give us more grace, and clothe us with His righteousness.

Grace is expensive- it cost Christ His life. Grace is cheap- it is available to all who wills. Grace is expensive- we must carry the cross. Grace is cheap- for Christ bears the yolk with us, and sometimes when things are too difficult- for us.

To be sure, Christianity without faith is an evil religion- it is unprofitable- it is self-denail. But with faith- what you have lost- you gain much more- the inheritance of Christ- the Son of God!

As St. Augustine said: "I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all; and whatever I placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

And here is the clincher- the strength we have now, already, is by the grace of God. The support you have, already, is by the grace of God. the will you have is already by the grace of God. You are called- God will qualify. Does a student take credit for learning what he was taught?

Clay, O clay, O Clay,

What does this have to do with the topic?
  • How do I get the best out of life- deny it, with the hope you will gain so much more. I tried, miserably, to explain that.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6684.msg89394#msg89394 date=1212574612]
    How do I get the best out of life- deny it, with the hope you will gain so much more. I tried, miserably, to explain that.

Yeah, ok.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6684.msg89385#msg89385 date=1212566007]

"Laugh uncontrollaby" - what - is this found ANYWHERE in the Bible???

and right at the of all this bull**** is "and have a wonderful journey...."

lol.. yeah, right..

Take this TRIPE off my orthodox website.

And moreover, look: this is from a Sikh Website.

Some funny person took it and just added the last verse about Jesus Christ in there.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=35404

first... watch your language....  and i mean it....      ur website... OUR website is more like it....

and by the way.. what were you doing checking out Sikh websites???????????
  • OK, since things seem to be crashing down in this thread, I thought to revive it with a passage from Fr. Anthony Conrais, " God and you- person to person":

[center]Go through history, pick out some of the great spiritual giants and ask them, "When did you really begin to live?" And one by one they will give you the same answer, "When I met Jesus Christ." Whether it be Zacchaeus or St. Paul or St. Augustine or any one of the saints, the answer is the same, "I began to live- really live- when I met Christ personally, when I became aware of His love for me and submitted my life to Him."

Why did God choose to come into the world as a baby? Simply because everybody loves babies! And God wants to be loved by you and by me. Three times He asks Peter, "Do you love Me?" He wants to be loved just as He loves you. He came to earth at Christmas to tell you, "You are my beloed son or daughter. I love you!" There is no greate message than this unconditional love of God. This is what the gospel is all about. Believe it, and your life cannot but be changed.

The name given to Jesus is "Emmanuel," which means 'God with us.' God with me! God with you! What this really means is that God has time for me. God has time for you. He has time for us because He loves us. The question is: Do we have time for Him?

The essence of Christianity is a love relationship with God. The more we love God, the more we will love to do His will, to pray, to serve, to obey, to follo. If faith ever seems to become a burden, it is because we do not really know and love Jesus personally.

The trouble with many of us is that we a re empty inside, and we're trying to fill the inner emptiness with things. Henri Nouwen says that we are like a banana tree filled with monkeys. Our prolem is one of trying to get the monkeys off our back, to create a little space inside so God can come and tell us, "I love you. You belong to me. You are my beloved son or daughter." So we keep trying to get the monkeys off our backs by keeping some space open for God, some quiet time each day for prayer and meditation, and for the liturgy on Sunday, so we can hear the voice of God as it tries to get through to us with God's personal love. "You are my beloved son or daughter. I created you out of nothing. I redeemed you with the blood of my only begotten Son. I sealed you with the gift of the Holy Spirit. I want you to be with me in heaven to behold my glory. You belong to me."
    [/center]
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh]
    first... watch your language....   and i mean it....       ur website... OUR website is more like it....

and by the way.. what were you doing checking out Sikh websites???????????

Hi,
    Yes, I was going to say Bull Fertilizer, but then, i wasn't sure if anyone knew what that referred to who is from Egypt, so I just used Bull**** ?? is that a sin?? I didn't really say a bad word.. it was marked with an "*".
    Let me know, I'll add it down in my "Things to Confess List". The list is pretty long as it is, and I'm trying to break my record for last month's list, so thanks for this information!! God bless u!!

Concerning this bull fertilizer being published on a website that I consider to be Orthodox, its very annoying. Let's leave fertilzer where it belongs... out of Orthodox places, and in areas where it can be used the most. But not here.

Yes.. I go to sikh sites because that's where I find the funky tunes for our alhan... no .. of course not. I just found it by luck.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6684.msg89460#msg89460 date=1212636472][center]
    Why did God choose to come into the world as a baby? Simply because everybody loves babies! "
    [/center]

Clay, what happened? What have you done to Clay?!

Clay, if that really is from you, and you haven't been kidnapped, we really ought to talk.

Guys.. look - look at OUR Orthodox Church:

Here:

In baptism we are crucified and resurrected with Christ. And out of the baptismal font, comes a new creation. A new man. There is a parallel between baptism and repentance. In repentance, I also rise from the deadness of my sins. It is therefore considered a 2nd baptism, and the tears of my repentence is a symbol of the water of this 2nd baptism.

• Firstly, if you read my post, the passage was from a well-known, prolific Eastern Orthodox priest, Father Anthony M. Coniaris. It was not my words, and yes, I was struck by those words too. I shrieked, and thought this is too personal. But then again, perhaps that is the problem- we do not see how personal Orthodox Christianity is. In our church- full of martyrs- there must have been something so precious- that precious pearl- that they would denounce the world. In the words of St. John Chrysostom (I like to see you criticizing a canonized Orthodox saint!):

[center]
    I am a father for you, and a brother, a bridegroom, and a home, a nurse and a dress, a root and a cornerstone. Whatever you want I am for you. I don't want you to be in any need. I will serve you, because I came not to be served but to serve. I am a friend, and a member, and a head, and a brother, and a sister, and a mother. I am everything for you. Only be in communion with me. I have been poor for you and a wanderer for you. I have been on the cross and in the tomb for you. High above with the Father I mediate for you. You are everything to me, a brother and co-heir, a friend, and a member of my body. What more do you desire?
    [/center]

Open your heart. "Taste and see the LORD is good". He is the pearl of great price.

And people do love babies. At Christmas, you might see the Nativity scene even the most secular parts of our cities. But in Easter, do you see a celebrated Cross? As to whether that is why he choose to come into the world as a baby- I don't see it any other way He could have come.

In the words of St. Athanasius,
    [center]
    The healing of the man born blind, for instance, who but the Father and Artificer of man, the Controller of his whole being, could thus have restored the faculty denied at birth? He Who did thus must surely be Himself the Lord of birth. This is proved also at the outset of His becoming Man. He formed His own body from the virgin; and that is no small proof of His Godhead, since He Who made that was the Maker of all else.
    [/center]

Have you read "The Confessions of St. Augustine"? Look at how personal St. Augustine viewed God:

[center]"You did bestow the food of my infancy through them, according to Your ordinance, by which You distribute Your riches through the hidden springs of all things."[/center]

He narrates his life, like a prayer. Mostly everything he writes about his life, He mentions God's work in it.

Back to the quote you contest, their St. Tikhon, wrote:

"Listen, my soul: God has come to us:
    Our Lord has visited us.

For my sake He was born of the Virgin Mary,
    He was wrapped in swaddling clothes,
    He who covers heaven with the clouds and vests Himself with robes of light.

For my sake He was placed in the lowly manger,
    He whose throne is the heavens and whose feet rest upon earth.

For my sake He was fed with His mother's milk,
    He who feeds all creatures.

For my sake He was held in His mother's arms,
    He who is borne by the Cherubim and holds all creatures in His embrace...."

Perhaps, to save us He had to bear our human nature, but I think there is a reason at least why the Gospel writers include the Nativity story. I don't think it is the prophetic story, but to really show that Christ knew what it was like to be human- from birth to death. That must strike a cord.

In the words of Isaiah,

"Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows." (53:4)

Yes, dogma is important- certainly. But as Fr. Schmemann noted, "Faith, in its very nature and essence, is something deeply personal, and therefore it is only really alive when seen in the context of personal experience. Only when a particular teaching of the Church- or, as we say, a dogma, an affirmation of some particular truth- becomes my faith, and my experience, and therefore the main content of my life, does this faith come alive."
  • Clay,
    I can never get enough of J. Chrysostom.

Is Anthony Coniaris Coptic ?? He sounds protestant... or maybe catholic with protestant parents??? Or perhaps he's orthodox, but his wife is protestant??
  • Haha.

He has been a priest in the EOC for 50 years. http://orthodoxwiki.org/Anthony_M._Coniaris .

My confession father asked me whether I read his works, and recommended it to me. Some of our sites seem to encourage his work, for e.g. http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?module=library&tid=1&pubcnt=100 .

His works can be bought by our Coptic online bookstore:
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=Coniaris&btnSearch=GO&Page=1

• Hi Clay,
    THis is really good:
    http://www.stvladimiraami.org/pamphlets/marriagerecipe.pdf

He seems very simple still in his outlook.. (a bit like me lol).. but i guess that's a good thing. I was considering entering the priesthood, and his work has really inspired me.