Adel Imam Movie

Comments

• What I seriously mean Vas, is that there are many Muslims in Egypt who won't here a thing against there corrupt religion, and so the mere thought of "infidel Christian dogs" appearing to even think that they are being mistreated is enough for sectarian violence to break out. Basically they don't even want us to exist, and this film will reawaken us in their eyes, and things will get even more serious

pray for me

joe

• What I seriously mean Vas, is that there are many Muslims in Egypt who won't here a thing against there corrupt religion, and so the mere thought of "infidel Christian dogs" appearing to even think that they are being mistreated is enough for sectarian violence to break out. Basically they don't even want us to exist, and this film will reawaken us in their eyes, and things will get even more serious.
    -----
    What I mean Vas, is that some extremists in Egypt will see this film as an attempt by Christians (even though its Adel Imam's film) to extrapolate on the current affairs in Egypt, and will take it negatively, similarly to the situation when Fr. Zakaria started broadcasting

Let me say this for once, Adel Imam is hated by many including muslims extremists who if would come close to him, they would love to kill him. But he is a most-known actor, more of a huge person in Egypt and outside of it these days. Have a movie like this wont change much to outside Egypt. This is not the first time people. Look at the movie before Morgan Ahmad Morgan, Yacouban building , that had many cases from both religions. It was rated R for God’s sake. Dude, I never seee rated R Arabic Movies.

Firstly I beg to differ... the sufferings in Egypt to us Copts will increase as a result of this film... persecution may make a turn for the worse. Ok, so the sufferings may come out into the spotlight, but do you think that that will matter at all in the corrupt government system we have there? For years Egyptians and many others have known the persecution we face in Egypt, but will it stop? No it won't - the government is quick to cover it up, and the leaders of Islam just tell their followers that treatment of Christians in this way is sanctioned by Islam. Believe me, nothing will change for the better here.

The government cannot hide this. Adel Imam is fully running this. According to Omar el-sherif, he was there on set shootin, even when he was not in the scene. He is talking this very seriously. Btw, he does not admit that he went to H.H. to “take permission”, but reather ask him something about our faith, to not have mistakes in the movie ya3ny. But of course he have to say that, we all know what goes on.

Thats just my point... this film without any comedy factor, will stir things up in Egypt, no doubt.

I only said that the trailer is very serious….in reality, and according to Omar El-Sherif, it’s the best comedy he ever seen. The “trailer”, watch the “—”, is done by the channel and it took the seriousness and left the rest out am sure.

• I a oretty sure Addel Immam got the permision of H.H. before he started acting or something like that.......    if the Pope said he can than it is not up to us to decide
  • Oh people; QT_PA_2T, and josephgabriel,
    I used to live in Zananiri street; the street which has the big court in it, and my school was in el dawaran. I am shabrawy as well (for correction; not shobrawy QT_PA_2T :P).
    Anyway, did you notice how Adel Imam pronounces the word "Jesus" in Arabic as "Messih"? And not "Massih" - this shows you how ignorant the Muslims are about religion. It doesn't actually provide any thing other than a mere thriller for the cinema's sake. Mina, please wake up - that responsible guy you are talking about, was one of the stars of Yakobian's building, in which the two Christian representatives are posed as one thief, and the other callgirl seller (sorry I can't say the word on this website). What on earth are you talking about now? What do you expect in that movie off him? Nothing but mere farce, and only putting the blame on extremist groups (I heard that they even present Christian extremists hahaha) for the hatred of Christians. I agree with josephgabriel. This may well spread some more hatred, even if undercover. You don't know how the society is like in Egypt; media is something, and reality is something else. Christians will be more persecuted if that movie succeeds.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6651.msg88912#msg88912 date=1212095576]
    Oh people; QT_PA_2T, and josephgabriel,
    I used to live in Zananiri street; the street which has the big court in it, and my school was in el dawaran. I am shabrawy as well (for correction; not shobrawy QT_PA_2T :P).
    Anyway, did you notice how Adel Imam pronounces the word "Jesus" in Arabic as "Messih"? And not "Massih" - this shows you how ignorant the Muslims are about religion. It doesn't actually provide any thing other than a mere thriller for the cinema's sake. Mina, please wake up - that responsible guy you are talking about, was one of the stars of Yakobian's building, in which the two Christian representatives are posed as one thief, and the other callgirl seller (sorry I can't say the word on this website). What on earth are you talking about now? What do you expect in that movie off him? Nothing but mere farce, and only putting the blame on extremist groups (I heard that they even present Christian extremists hahaha) for the hatred of Christians. I agree with josephgabriel. This may well spread some more hatred, even if undercover. You don't know how the society is like in Egypt; media is something, and reality is something else. Christians will be more persecuted if that movie succeeds.

Listen, if Ophadece says he's from shoubra, then we should take what he's saying very seriously.
    And I mean that.

Ophadece, look... we do not know the outcome of this movie. On the one hand it could be a farce, on the other, it could be highlighting religious bigotry? We don't know until we've seen the movie.

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6651.msg88912#msg88912 date=1212095576]
    Oh people; QT_PA_2T, and josephgabriel,

in Yakobian's building he as showing the  reality. which was to me, heppends. he was attcking bothreligions ya habibi. do not expect everything is smooth as we have here, outside egypt. many many christians, coptic orthodox christians are commiting the ultimite sin of hypocrisy, which  is not actin like a full chrstian. we are all, at some point of time, guilty of that. of course we never tlk about why, because we don't want others to know.

Ophadece, am awake, but upon ALL things. not to only what i believe in or what i don't like.
  • I agree with Mina..

Many copts behave in a very hypocritical way. Some even pretend to be persecuted to gain sympathy. (I've seen that many times). I think its fair to show both sides of religious bigotry. But my point is this (concerning religion in general):

When they show the side of the Coptic Christian's hypocrisy in being biased against muslims, yes - this is bad.. but it won't have the same standing as hearing the Imam scream down a microphone saying "A christian's money, income, job, everything he owns is HALAL for you to take".

I hope it will make people realise how damaging such talk can be.
  • what the coptic christians do now to "defend their right" makes everything worst....never right. since when, we as copts, been doing this. i remmber when i used to in egypt, living peacfully now hearing about crazy thngs that are on the media now.
  • Ophadece hit the nail on the head (another man from shoubra, that makes 4 of us if we include Mina)... Islam is a corrupt religion, we all know that, and it may not seem big to us here, who live in the diaspora, but over there in Egypt, Islam's corruption makes life really difficult for Christians there... the killings (the 4 Copts who were killed in a gold shop last week, for example), the rape, the kidnapping of young girls, the robberies, the "gizya" tax in the S3eed, the injustices in court. But what is more distressing is the attitude and the emotions behind these crimes - they loathe us, even though they know deep inside that their religion is a sham, and that Fr. Zakaria is right. Because of this, life on a daily basis is hard for our bretheren and families over there - from Coptic women getting slapped in the metro and young Coptic women being abused because of their refusal to recite the Qur'an with the muslim women on the microbus system, to some priests getting spat on or threatened when walking down the street. Really the last thing Copts in Egypt need is this film to be released - they already have a harsher deal than we realise

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6651.msg88960#msg88960 date=1212133126]
    Ophadece hit the nail on the head (another man from shoubra, that makes 4 of us if we include Mina)... Islam is a corrupt religion, we all know that, and it may not seem big to us here, who live in the diaspora, but over there in Egypt, Islam's corruption makes life really difficult for Christians there... the killings (the 4 Copts who were killed in a gold shop last week, for example), the rape, the kidnapping of young girls, the robberies, the "gizya" tax in the S3eed, the injustices in court. But what is more distressing is the attitude and the emotions behind these crimes - they loathe us, even though they know deep inside that their religion is a sham, and that Fr. Zakaria is right. Because of this, life on a daily basis is hard for our bretheren and families over there - from Coptic women getting slapped in the metro and young Coptic women being abused because of their refusal to recite the Qur'an with the muslim women on the microbus system, to some priests getting spat on or threatened when walking down the street. Really the last thing Copts in Egypt need is this film to be released - they already have a harsher deal than we realise

pray for me

joe

Joe,
    All the more that that this hypocrisy in their religion should be exposed? In a movie?
    Ophadece is smart (not cos he's shobrawy, but generally), if he feels that there could be negative impacts as a result of this??
    What do we do? I want to watch the movie, and yet my heart is torn between that and Ophadece's wish that we do not see it?

Yes, and Mina can now be considered from Shoubra. Like I told him, he just has to make up a story that his grandfather was a priest in shoubra (as most people pretend) and select a CHurch and that's it. He also has to say often the following sentence:

"Im not catholic, but I used to pray in Saint Therese Church in SHoubra". That's it. As far as Im concerned he's just as shobrawee as me and u and anyone else.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6651.msg88898#msg88898 date=1212078981]
    What I seriously mean Vas, is that there are many Muslims in Egypt who won't here a thing against there corrupt religion, and so the mere thought of "infidel Christian dogs" appearing to even think that they are being mistreated is enough for sectarian violence to break out. Basically they don't even want us to exist, and this film will reawaken us in their eyes, and things will get even more serious

pray for me

joe

So u agree with Ophadece? THat's what I think he was trying to get at. That thought also crossed my mind.
    But.. adel Imam is muslim. They have no right to take it out on us. If Imam was a Christian movie star, then could this film have happened. NEVER! NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!

Can u imagine that??
    wow...

Its only because he is muslim that he can do that. A Christian actor in his place would have been shot dead by now just from the trailer of the movie.
  • Firstly yes I do agree that uncle Fady is very smart, and I do learn loads from his posts.

Secondly, I think it is the actual film being in existence, rather than the going to see it that will cause problems. Whether you watch it Vas or you don't, hundreds of thousands of people will watch it - there will be no escaping public opinion in Egypt's reaction to this. The film will cause problems, but of course by watching it, you are indirectly supporting it, by paying for the ticket, and your money will go to the stirrer who is making this film.

Thirdly, lol OK Mina is now from Shoubra (I like the cover story), but if you feel I am making up some story, well my grandad is Fr. Shenouda Grais, oldest priest in St. George in Khamraweya St. in the dowaran... I guess some people could invent some church, but true shoubraweys (remember Ophadece we are "shawar3eya" and don't say shabrawey :P) know every church there  ;D

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88966#msg88966 date=1212134263]
    Its only because he is muslim that he can do that. A Christian actor in his place would have been shot dead by now just from the trailer of the movie.

Exactly my point - as a Muslim, this guy is gonna make problems for us Copts, simply because he wants to make cash etc. but also because he can.

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6651.msg88967#msg88967 date=1212134323]
    Firstly yes I do agree that uncle Fady is very smart, and I do learn loads from his posts.

Secondly, I think it is the actual film being in existence, rather than the going to see it that will cause problems. Whether you watch it Vas or you don't, hundreds of thousands of people will watch it - there will be no escaping public opinion in Egypt's reaction to this. The film will cause problems, but of course by watching it, you are indirectly supporting it, by paying for the ticket, and your money will go to the stirrer who is making this film.

Thirdly, lol OK Mina is now from Shoubra (I like the cover story), but if you feel I am making up some story, well my grandad is Fr. Shenouda Grais, oldest priest in St. George in Khamraweya St. in the dowaran... I guess some people could invent some church, but true shoubraweys (remember Ophadece we are "shawar3eya" and don't say shabrawey :P) know every church there  ;D

pray for me

joe

OK. I'll download the movie from the internet, that way, i get to see what dammage it will cause without having to feel guilty that I paid money in anyway for contributing financially to a movie that MAY (MAY!!) cause harm.

Look man, I AM Mister Shoubra. My entire family live in the heart of shoubra. They are all saints. All of them. My dad's FoC was Fr. Mikhail Ibrahim. They were so close. Really good friends even. His kids (and his grandkids!) are our best friends. We're family. The Pope and my dad are good mates. My uncle (DIRECT UNCLE) was the Metropolitan Theophilus (he passed away). If i wanna sing Agios Athanatos Nai-nan - i will!! whenever I want.. when I want. See?!

Mina seems like a good man.. its so unfair he is born in Mansoura. Who on earth in the history of our Church is from Mansoura?? He needs 1st to go to Shoubra and eat some kosharee. When he has eaten the kosharee, and has had several foule and ta3maya sandwiches, and the microbes from the food take effect in him, he will then feel like he's from shoubra. You cannot just say :"OK! He's from shoubra!". Its too much to take. It needs to be gradual.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6651.msg88968#msg88968 date=1212134457]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88966#msg88966 date=1212134263]

Exactly my point - as a Muslim, this guy is gonna make problems for us Copts, simply because he wants to make cash etc. but also because he can.

pray for me

joe

No man... people arent that evil.. we never asked for this film to be made. We never asked Adel Imam to mock his own religion. Did we?

If they take this out on us I'll be very surprised.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88969#msg88969 date=1212134955]
    Mina seems like a good man.. its so unfair he is born in Mansoura. Who on earth in the history of our Church is from Mansoura?? He needs 1st to go to Shoubra and eat some kosharee. When he has eaten the kosharee, and has had several foule and ta3maya sandwiches, and the microbes from the food take effect in him, he will then feel like he's from shoubra. You cannot just say :"OK! He's from shoubra!". Its too much to take. It needs to be gradual.

lol ok Mina when next you're in Cairo, go to Shoubra eat some masa'a3a from the street vendor, while going to "bedak" and buying a litre of milk in a plastic bag. Then visit the bakery, and buy loads of feno and balady and some yellow araeesh to us with your tea. Then don't forget to go to Kholousy St. at night time, haggle with the stall owners and come home with 30 fake nike hats lol
  • Whether we asked him to or not is irrelevant... the point is he is doing it whatever his reasons may be. e has made that decision and made this film, so whatever the thinking or logic behind it or whether his reasons are innocent, the film has been made, and will be released in Egypt, and will cause problems. We can argue all day about the problems, and their scale, but the point is - is even one little fight in Egypt (and I promise you that that is a surreal optimism) worth this film?

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6651.msg88971#msg88971 date=1212135213]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88969#msg88969 date=1212134955]

lol ok Mina when next you're in Cairo, go to Shoubra eat some masa'a3a from the street vendor, while going to "bedak" and buying a litre of milk in a plastic bag. Then visit the bakery, and buy loads of feno and balady and some yellow araeesh to us with your tea. Then don't forget to go to Kholousy St. at night time, haggle with the stall owners and come home with 30 fake nike hats lol

Man,
    You know once in Egypt, my mother asked me to go downstairs and get some milk, and she said "try not to make out that you are European.. speak in arabic etc".. now, my arabic is really broken.

Anyway, I go downstairs to the man that sells the milk.

I go to the guy with the milk "Can I have some milk please" (in arabic). I TRY to act /behave as if i've owned a cow for all my life.

He says "How many kilos, one kilo or 2 kilos?"

I thought to myself :"What!! How can they sell milk in kilos?"
    So, I go to the man, whilst looking around making sure no one else could hear me :" Look, yeah... I wanna drink it, not eat it.. is that OK?"
    He says :"yeah yeah, in Egypt we sell milk by the kilo, we weigh it in plastic bags. Are u from Europe then?".

lol

I tried so hard to hide it... but even when I'm there, everyone tells me:"U are shobrawee". I hate masr-il gadeeda (its a really boring place).. zamalek is so dead and pretentious..
  • Lol yeah, I second that... Shoubra feels so alive - the hustle and bust;e, the smell of sweat and the dust and the refreshing 3aseer asab from the guy down the road - that is bliss  :)
  • Dear josephgabriel and QT_PA_2T,
    What great hypocrisy; this is the sin that minagir is talking about. You are great hypocrites, because now you highly regard me because I said I am from Shoubra; not for who I am - you have got to regard me for who I am
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha :) I am just kidding you both :)
    Well, QT_PA_2T, I think they, not only the film star, wanted that kind of propaganda to spread even before the movie is out, and I assure you conflicts in opinions have existed since they announced the idea of this film. Anyway, I confess that yesterday after reading the posts here, I started getting heated up to watch this film and tried all the websites I know, but unfortunately the film is not out yet. As I said before, I really don't think I did the right thing, because this film as josephgabriel rightly points out will stir up more trouble, and with every thing he tells us (which is real and happens) the government turns a blind eye to us Christians. Trust me when I say if that film was neutral, or negating Islam the government would have been the first to reject it in the first place, but I think it is completely the opposite; suffice it for me that he acts as a priest who didn't care about his faith in the name of his country - hahaha; so funny. I think this is the funny knot in the film :) I may only watch bits and pieces of this film to see what it is all about - I am sure this film will earn millions in Egypt, where prices have soared like no other time in the history.
    Dear minagir,
    Regarding your point; it is an excellent one. Yes, we all know that Christians are sinners, maybe even more than others, but my point is: if you are representing two Christian characters for the first time in an Egyptian film (I don't recall other Christian characters as such in any other film or series except uncle Guirguis in Sesame's world for kids on Egyptian TV), and you are making them out as disgraceful characters then what message are you sending out? Oh, wait; now I remember I watched Yossra and Amr Diab act a silly movie before and the priest then (was impersonated by someone I don't know his name) told the boy to love the girl, no problem, and if they want to get married without the consent of his family, that is fine, as long as they love each other :) This is the picture being made out of us in the Egyptian media. Well done. It is our country, and they occupied it and now they claim it is theirs, wanting to evict us off it. This is true satan, isn't it?
    God bless us all and pray for us a lot
  • Uncle Fady, you haven't lost your touch  :) that was a great post, and I'm agreeing 100%.

pray for me

joe
  • Dear all,
    I forgot to mention something; in one of the youtube clips I watched Adel Imam say that he went to our Pope, not to take his permission about the film, but to discuss with him some dogmatic issues related to the film. Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; I can't laugh more.
  • Oh my goodness.. yes.. Ophadece - i just realised: if there was a movie that did mock Islam in any way, it would not have been allowed to happen in Egypt. Would it?

Hmm :(

The funny thing is that people will hear in the movie an Imam screaming and inciting hatred against Christians to take our jobs, money, and welfare, and to them that's not mocking islam?? lol.. so they really believe that it IS ok to actually go and steal from Christians?? Gosh..how embarasssing!! Doesn't any muslim listen to that and ever ask him/herself "Is this really right?"

Yes, I do feel that u should be taken seriously because you are from Shoubra. It changes everything.
  • Lol I noticed you changed your signature Vas...

Back to the topic

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88978#msg88978 date=1212136811]
    in the movie an Imam screaming and inciting hatred against Christians to take our jobs, money, and welfare, and to them that's not mocking islam?? lol.. so they really believe that it IS ok to actually go and steal from Christians?? Gosh..how embarasssing!! Doesn't any muslim listen to that and ever ask him/herself "Is this really right?"

Yep, when I say Islam is a corrupt religion it also means that its members are corrupt - bribes are commonplace and if a muslim was to a protest a "el naby ebel el hedaya" ("the prophet accepted the gift i.e. bribe). Muslims are even allowed to lie - it is halal to lie to a Christian - how more corrupt is it? You don't think that such a religion, in which their paradise consists of 72 virgins of both genders, affects their morals?

pray for me

joe
  • Sorry, this is a side issue, but talking about Shoubra reminded me of this.

I have a UK passport, and whilst I was in Egypt i noticed that if i had any problems, just showing it, not only got me out of the problem, but it gave me some power there.. lol
    I was surprised. To pass from the Nile Hilton to Talaat Harb is all cordoned off.. so I had to take out my passport just to go through. And then I got so mad at one police officer, I shouted at him and he said nothing when I took out the passport.

Anyway, my cousins take me to mass in their Church in Shoubra. We go. We didnt wear as deacons cos we came late, but we stood behind them where the crowd stands.

The deacon playing the symbols was really bad.. It sounded so bad, so I told my cousin: "Look, let him give me the symbols, otherwise i'll take out my passport and have him arrested".

Then my cousin started laughing.. i was crying with tears of laughter...
    Abouna wasn't happy.. but .. i didnt intend that.. but the best laughs happen in shoubra.
  • Dear QT_PA_2T,
    I would agree with you because Shoubra is such a blessed place. It is full of Christians, and the churches are usually packed - people are poor, and humble, and I think this is the place that God likes to dwell.
    May God bless all Christians people; pray for us a lot
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88969#msg88969 date=1212134955]

H.E.M Phelopos was the oldest ordained Metro/bishop of the synod. he departed back in 2001, month before we come here to the USA. he is a great person.

also we have couple of mualemin if you can trace back ppl with Muallim Miakhel.....also we have many actors like Omar El-sherif....:D

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=6651.msg88977#msg88977 date=1212136804]
    Dear all,
    I forgot to mention something; in one of the youtube clips I watched Adel Imam say that he went to our Pope, not to take his permission about the film, but to discuss with him some dogmatic issues related to the film. Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; I can't laugh more.

yes i've mentioned that.

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=6651.msg88986#msg88986 date=1212148356]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6651.msg88969#msg88969 date=1212134955]

H.E.M Phelopos was the oldest ordained Metro/bishop of the synod. he departed back in 2001, month before we come here to the USA. he is a great person.

also we have couple of mualemin if you can trace back ppl with Muallim Miakhel.....also we have many actors like Omar El-sherif....:D

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=6651.msg88977#msg88977 date=1212136804]
    Dear all,

yes i've mentioned that.

Mina, that's great. If ever u decide u wanna be Shobrawee, u are welcome.
  • Dear minagir,
    I think it is so funny that Adel Imam sends out a loud message saying he didn't need the pope's permission for the film, why should he? He only met Pope Shenouda to discuss some Christian beliefs. I find this very desecrating and undermining. May God have mercy on him.
  • Something else I am not sure if any of you knows about it; after the play acted out by servants in a church in Alexandria, and just hinting to terrorism and the consequences of it, has led all of these servants (contrary to media announcements) out of Egypt. Some of them are here in the UK, and others in the USA. This is disgusting, and completely dishonest. God have mercy on us all. So now I am asking this question: how would it be when this film is shown in cinemas? More hatred and persecution? I believe so. Mina, I told you before Adel Imam is not the same person he used to be. Yes, he used to stand up against terrorism and terrorists, but his daughter got married to a son of one of their leaders? Look at his last couple of films: Morgan Ahmed Morgan - a film showing him as an ignorant father who keeps being admonished by his learnt children (what?!!!!!!), Yakobian building - a disorganised mixup of data of the Egyptian society, el sefara fel3emara - a hilarious film about a careless man living life to the full, with some spice of involving Israel's embassy to give it a political flavour, and so on and so forth. If that man is really as brave as he once was, he should act in films reflecting the reality (the true reality minagir) in Egypt now of corruption in the government bodies, and the soaring up of prices leading to the rich getting rich, and poor more distressed; as he used to hint in his play "el wad sayed el sha3'al" and in "el erhab welkabab". Hope I am clear
    God bless you and pray for us a lot