Apostle's Fast

edited August 2011 in Faith Issues

Comments

• This fast starts the day right after Pentecost always. The length however varies depending on when the Resurrection comes therefore determining when Pentecost is and how long the fast will be. It can very from around 2 weeks to around 40 days. It always ends on July 12. I've never heard that it was only for clergy however, do you have a source for this?
  • Oh I'm sorry about that, I actually have no idea when it was literally implemented but its called the apostles fast because after Christ ascended they fasted, "when the bridegroom is with you, you do not fast but when the bridegroom leaves then you will fast" Something along those lines. I'm not very grounded on this, i would love to learn about this as well.
  • When referring to the aspect 'only the clergy and the servants carry through on this fast', this is in reference to the running joke among our people that:  'the priest and his wife are the only ones that do the Apostles' Fast'.

It is only a joke, and in reality this fast is an obligation to all those who participate in the Coptic Orthodox Church.  It is regretful that people do not take advantage of its spirituality and unfortunately the majority do not participate in this Fast.

Deacons have specific obligations relative to their ability to serve and receive communion (this goes for the laity also).  They are supposed to seek dispensation, but that is essentially ignored.

You can usually catch most of them eating pizza or any other similar food product after the Liturgy during this Fast.  Sorry to sound obnoxious, but it is true.

The fact that people are able to make that joke relates to the prevalence of ignoring this Fast.

The Apostles' Fast, at its shortest interval is approximately 3 weeks and at the longest approximately 50+ days.
  • Yes, as ilovesaintmark said, many people take this fast as something not necessary including the people in the deaconate, however this is a generalization of course and not always the norm from church to church. I must say most deacons I know are very responsible about fasting, but this is besides the point.
  • It [the Apostles' Fast] is considered the oldest of the fasts as recounted by several bishops, as an institution placed by Church Canon and the Apostolic Constitutions.  It was in emulation of the Lord's Fast prior to instituting His Ministry.

The concept reveals itself in that, after receiving the Holy Spirit on Pentecost, we are able to carry forward with inspiration towards a ministry throughout the year.
  • In reply to your comment, please see my previous post, labeled #4
  • [quote author=yousiegtennis link=topic=6589.msg87525#msg87525 date=1210704866]
    I agree with you...deacons these days are so irresponsible!!  when in fact they should be role models for other people, and thank you for the info ilovesaintmark...it was very insightful.  i am trying to do more research on this.  if i find anything else ill let you guys know...

Im sorry to sound fussy, but I don't feel too comfortable with your generalisation about deacons here... not all of us are like that... it may sound crazy but I think you mean some deacons...

pray for me

joe
  • for others that r interested here r some links that talk about the history of it a bit

http://www.archeparchy.ca/liturgy/apostles_fast.htm

http://www.orthodoxolympia.org/June_newsletter_2007.pdf

-the information in the 2 links above r in communion with each other so i assume their valid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles'_Fast
    -i know wikipedia is not a trusted source (its very brief anyway)

pls if anybody knows more about the history pls share ur knowledge..i am interested to learn about it ..but i cant find much sources that speak about it

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ