Our Creed

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Is our Creed based on the First Council of Nicaea in 325AD, or on the First Council of Constantinople, in 381AD? I ask this because the clause "yes we believe in the Holy Spirit the Lord the life-giver, who proceeds from the Father, who with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified. Who spoke by the prophets" was not expanded on until the Constantinople council in 381 AD (in the Nicaean council it was simply "yes we believe in the Holy Spirit), and yet I was always taught that our Creed is the Nicene creed...

Someone help me out?

pray for me

joe

Comments

• It is the Nicene-Constantinople Creed.
  • Lol, thanks, nice and snappy
  • The Nicene portion ended with:  "We Believe in the Holy Spirit."

Later at Constantinople, the clarifications as they pertain to the Holy Spirit were added.
  • i heard they added all the extra stuff we have in our creed to make everything clear..notice the catholic creed..its a bit shorter i think? but the Orthodox is just detailed. i think because when christians started getting confused, they wanted to set everything clear. even if that meant doubling the length of the Creed lol
  • Wrong. I assure you, go to the Christian Orthodox Electronic Publications Encyclopaedia, and you would see that it is much the same (except the anathemas). The ones you saw is the Athanasius creed, I believe.