John chapter 14

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hello,
John 10:14-30
I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father." Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings. And many of them said, "He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?" Others said, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?" Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon's porch. Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one."
-what is the feast of dedication?
and
-why didnt the jews want to believe that He is Christ?

thanx in advance
pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
-sister in Christ

Comments

• The feast of dedication is what modern day Jew's call Hannukah.
    I really don't know why the Jews didn't belive but,
    i heard alot of reasons why including.
    -they expected the Savior to come in full glory, not so humbly
    -he did things that were aganist Hebrew customs (breaking the sabbath, his diciples not fasting, etc.)
    -some belived he was someone else (John the Baptist or Elijah)
    -some belived he was merely a prophet
    -some believed he was a blasphamiser
  • Quiet time - hehehe. :D

I don't know if you can change this now, but in the subject it says chapter 14 when it's actually chapter 10 :)

Some other reasons to why they didn't believe Him:
    - The Pharisees didn't want their followers to follow Him - and out of Pride and hardness of their hearts, they would not follow His teachings themselves.
    - Some believed he was a demon because he didn't abide by the Sabath in John 9 where he healed the blind man.
    - As mentioned many times in the Bible, all those who didn't believe could hear Him - but they were deaf spiritually, so they rejected His truth. Likewise, many were blind also. This is mostly caused by pride, but it also could be due to addiction (I'm not talking about drugs), fear of change...
  • hello,
    thanx guys for ur answers..they make alot of sense
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6507.msg86059#msg86059 date=1208537149]
    Quiet time - hehehe. :D

lol..Hizz_child...yes it is..
  • Yes, the Pharisees and the Jews at the time were in great error, and they were bereft of the glory of God- how sad it must be for Christ to see His own chosen people be so hard-hearted towards Him!

And we, do the same...we might say that Christ is our King, our Chosen One, our Anointed One, our God, but has our hearts really lifted up to God (I know mine has not).

By the way, the Feast of Dedication is recorded in the Deuterocanon, I believe in the book of Maccabees. It is the "Feast of Lights", and it occurred two months after the "Feast of the Tabernacles". This was instituted by Judas Macabeus to commemorate the purification of the temple from the profanation to which it had been subjected by Antiochus Epiphanes (165 BC) and kept for eight days, from the 25th of Chisleu on the day on which Judas began the first jouous celebration of it. (1. Maccabees 4: 52-59)

(this information I gained from 'Critical and Explanatory Commentary" (Scranton Company).