fasting

hey guys, why cant we take communion if were not fasting?? Also, is that what the desciples did when they did communion?

Comments

• [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6458.msg85267#msg85267 date=1207617531]
    hey guys, why cant we take communion if were not fasting?? Also, is that what the desciples did when they did communion?

lent is the holies fast of all. if you really can't fast it and fellow the true meanings of fasting in it, that would be a problem. where also there would be no need to take communion.....if you can't fellow this little and small action towards God and urslef. of course this is different for every person with interaction with his/her FOC.
  • We don't eat before communion, (i was told) because the first thing we have to have is the Life Giving Bread, The Body of Our Lord!

And in the first church they used to eat before the communion...that was changed later
    and think about it....if you were to eat a big meal before church....would you have a lot of energy to stand??

I usually feel tried after a big meal, dont know about you, but keep it in mind i guess.

Hope this helps....

and if anything is wrong anyone please correct me!

God Bless
    May the Prayers of Pope Kyrollos be with us all Amen
    Glory be to Our GOD Amen!!
  • It'd kind of change the whole experience - eating before church, that is. I think it's so beautiful - arriving to church physically and spiritually hungry - and we receive food for both.

:):):)

• You have received some really good replies so far...

One thing I would add is to maybe think about why we fast in first place (during lent) and how this influences our preparation to partake of christ...
    Lent is a time associated with a deeper examination of ourselves, our sins and our need for christ.. we fast because we realise that we cannot fight our sins alone and that only by strengthening our spirits can we overcome temptations. 
    So, one who is fasting is more likely to be prepared to receive Christ not only in terms of physical communion but also in a spiritual sense ('spiritual communion').

Also here is nice quote on the purpose of fasting by Abba John the Dwarf:

"If a king wanted to take possession of his enemies’ city, he would begin by cutting off the water and the food and so his enemies, dying of hunger, would submit to him.  It is the same with the passions of the flesh:  if a man goes about fasting and hungry, the enemies of his soul grow weak"

• I'm confused.
    Are we talking about not eating before church? Or fasting like The Great Fast?
  • He never specified, both apply though