Baba Shenouda Searched at Heathrow Airport

2»

Comments

• Here are the comments from mostly Arab Muslims on the incident.

1 -
    White people
    Outlander [ Monday, April 07, 2008 ]
    This is a genuine race profiling issue, the funny thing is, these are christians vs christians !!!, if it was a white Coptic pope i don't think that this event will happen, and probably because of his position against Zionism, but the pro Zionists, the white people pope Benedict will never be searched or even anybody would dare to search him. F****in racist Brits, our prophet JESUS (PBUH) is innocent from your ignorance, anarchy, and your hypocrisy.
    2 -
    We are like dogs
    Amr [ Monday, April 07, 2008 ]
    What would happen if it was some large american church leader?would he go through the metal detector?would they even dare ask for him to go through the metal detector or get searched?.....no If that would have happened, the Americans would have made a big deal about it and caught international eyes, but all this pope gets is only one article by Mr. Farrag Ismail. This has probably happened due to the nationality of the pope, but not his religion(a coptic), or the international situation which Egypt is in, where we follow whatever the west(esspecciallyy the US) tells us, so we can recieve aid which will apparently "help us", but none of that aid has done anything, and most probably never will do. If you look at egypt's current economic situation, it is very poor, more than 40% of the population lives on less than $2 a day, and people are struggling to meet a basic human need, which is to actually eat, since the price of basic commodities are rising. What egypt has to do is to face reality and deal with it, and rely on itself and its people instead of being the US's 2nd largest aid reciever and seeing no changes to Egypt's people.
    3 -
    WHy? Racism
    Ya3ammy [ Monday, April 07, 2008 ]
    Racist b*st*rds. They have insulted that most respected religious leader in the Middle East and the world. The Arab league and all the religious organizations in the Middle East need to stand firm against this insulting treatment of our Pope. The man that has courage to say NO to injustice when our leaders accept it.
    4 -
    3arab haters 4 ever........
    Jojo [ Monday, April 07, 2008 ]
    would they do that to pope benedicto, whatever his name is? i dont think so. shame on them.
    5 -
    Pope Shenouda
    Med [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    SHAME SHAME ON them!
    6 -
    Coptic pope treated badly at London airport
    Conservative [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    Religion is the most serious threat to mankind. All people that broadcast themselves as hallucinating about fairy tale gods should be strip
    7 -
    Stupid
    Joe [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    This shows you how stupid some people can be. Christians profiling their own people. That's just sad.

10 -
    Reply to "Why treat him any different!"
    [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    Are you saying that other religious leaders should also be treated just like passengers? Please be careful of what you say! Your comments are insulting.
    11 -
    Pathetic
    Annoyd [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    , COPTIC 4 LIFE THIS IS A DISGRACE... They get vilified in EGypt already, and also overseas in a secular country... wtf... does he look like some terrorist - he is a priest
    12 -
    Shame on the UK
    Matt [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    All Arabs are one and this is a disgrace and indignity suffered by us all. Shame on the United Kingdom. God bless Baba Shenouda and give us all the patience to endure the racism of the West.
    13 -
    Read the article again
    Outlander [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    I just wanted to remind you people that this Coptic pope has a diplomatic status and was with Egypt's ambassador, he is not a normal passenger. and for non normal passengers these is international treaties and agreements on searching issues. i am Muslim, but i think that this is an offense for Arab christians and its a pure racism issue because he is Arab. i would not mind if everybody was searched the same way, but everybody knows that its not true, and western airports are very racist , as soon as you look dark skinned or Arab you have a special courtesy treatment by custom agents :) i m really surprised that they didn't bring dogs to sniff him or even suggest a rectum check.
    14 -
    Shame on UK
    Donia [ Tuesday, April 08, 2008 ]
    Baba Shenouda is not only the spiritual leader of the copts, but also an Egyptian icon. Patriot Egyptians should not let this just pass by. We should all send a strong message to the UK that this is not acceptable let alone from a country the claims to be tolerant to multiculturism. Narelle/Nabs, you comments are offensive to all Egyptians
    15 -
    No wonder
    Baibars [ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 ]
    No wonder and nothing new, that is how it is going since days of Urban and Louis IX.
    16 -
    I.m in shock
    lamie [ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 ]
    I,m in shock the british government is really irrugent and stupid if they don,t formaly oppologise to the pope and for egyptian government ,this is insult to all egypt muslims and christian
  • H.H. Pope shenoda came on el beat betak show, and the guy first talked about marriage and divorce what the church has to say about it.
    then the airport issue.
    H.H. said that it was an indian guy who guesses didn't know him and he had to do his job, and his H.H. didn't mind and he started laughing cuz it was rgt at the time of the plane :P

pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • Woah, Baba Shenouda on Al Bait Betak.. Talk about media-savvy. That's really good. I cant wait to see the segment.
  • I got such a huge blessing!
    I came home from work late and i had to wake up early to go to college bas i stayed up just to see him.... just like he stays up all ngt everyday praying for us and that god may forgive us!
    and let me tell you something............ everytime the cam got closer to H.H., his face was full of light and it was shinny, and you can see his smile before he smiles! :)
  • Guys why are you making such a big deal out of this?
    Our beloved Pope set a beautiful example of humility for us to follow, which is now shown to the entire world! Are we that proud and egocentric that we would make a passenger search into discrimination against our race and our church? Who are we to throw blame around? Who are we to say that those responsible should be punished? That is God's place!

Yes, what happened was very sad - but we should look up to our Pope for enduring it and do the same - not fill up three pages of a Christian forum with angry talk!!!

Look at the bright side a little more, you'll like it on the other side. :)
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6453.msg85459#msg85459 date=1207808988]
    Guys why are you making such a big deal out of this?
    Our beloved Pope set a beautiful example of humility for us to follow, which is now shown to the entire world! Are we that proud and egocentric that we would make a passenger search into discrimination against our race and our church? Who are we to throw blame around? Who are we to say that those responsible should be punished? That is God's place!

Yes, what happened was very sad - but we should look up to our Pope for enduring it and do the same - not fill up three pages of a Christian forum with angry talk!!!

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there Hizz_chiiild, it is a matter of principle, the fact that this has happend to a church leader is totally and utterly unacceptable. You cannot just demand a search of a Coptic Pope, leader of a religion, and plus H.H Pope Shenouda III has walked in and out of Heathrow Airport more than once! and a search has not happend before, why this time? Would this of happend to the leader of the Catholic H.H Pope Benedict XVI, I don't think so or would it have happend to the Archbishop of Canturbury, Dr Rowan Williams, again I do not think so. The Pope may have suffered some indignity and humiliation, these events shouldn't of happend, and the world at large should condemn the Heathrow Airport staff, that have done such a foolish act.

I am not trying to upset, or attack your comments Hizz_chiild, but the situation is of some sensitivity, I urge you (Hizz_chiild) or anyone who reads this and take it a wrong way, not to, neither to be upset, I am just trying to voice my opinion, an opinion that has shaken me me up to my fullest potential.

Please pray for my weakness...
    Your Servant  Kimi1 :)
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6453.msg85459#msg85459 date=1207808988]
    Guys why are you making such a big deal out of this?

I agree with Hizz_Child on this. It is an example of humility. My only problem was that with respect to his health, did it cause him any inconvenience??

Yes, its a perfect example of humility.

I personally think that the enemies of the Church are the ones who are blowing this out of proportion. THe Pope just walked through a metal detector. He wasn't strip-searched for drugs.

I believe that certain people have blown this out of proportion, and how do u know that it wasn't his 1st time through a metal detector??? I think all VIP's go through metal detectors actually. Those blowing this whole issue out of proportion are probably trying to cause embarassement to the Church when no one was really in the slightest offended in the 1st place!

• [quote author=kimi1 link=topic=6453.msg85464#msg85464 date=1207811636]
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you there Hizz_chiiild, it is a matter of principle, the fact that this has happend to a church leader is totally and utterly unacceptable. You cannot just demand a search of a Coptic Pope, leader of a religion, and plus H.H Pope Shenouda III has walked in and out of Heathrow Airport more than once! and a search has not happend before, why this time? Would this of happend to the leader of the Catholic H.H Pope Benedict XVI, I don't think so or would it have happend to the Archbishop of Canturbury, Dr Rowan Williams, again I do not think so. The Pope may have suffered some indignity and humiliation, these events shouldn't of happend, and the world at large should condemn the Heathrow Airport staff, that have done such a foolish act.

I am not trying to upset, or attack your comments Hizz_chiild, but the situation is of some sensitivity, I urge you (Hizz_chiild) or anyone who reads this and take it a wrong way, not to, neither to be upset, I am just trying to voice my opinion, an opinion that has shaken me me up to my fullest potential.

Please pray for my weakness...
    Your Servant  Kimi1 :)

Hehe I'm not upset!

I agree that this was not an ideal situation, or even close... I'm not saying we shouldn't care.. Of course we should... as we care for our Pope's well being.

We should not, however, react in such a prideful manner... What does that say about our church?

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6453.msg85470#msg85470 date=1207816464]
    I agree with Hizz_Child on this. It is an example of humility. My only problem was that with respect to his health, did it cause him any inconvenience??

Yes, its a perfect example of humility.

I personally think that the enemies of the Church are the ones who are blowing this out of proportion. THe Pope just walked through a metal detector. He wasn't strip-searched for drugs.

I believe that certain people have blown this out of proportion, and how do u know that it wasn't his 1st time through a metal detector??? I think all VIP's go through metal detectors actually. Those blowing this whole issue out of proportion are probably trying to cause embarassement to the Church when no one was really in the slightest offended in the 1st place!

Well, first of all, welcome back.. havn't seen your posts in a while....

About your comment.. You're absolutely right. Who says VIP's don't walk through metal detectors. Personally, I have never heard of this kind of 'special' treatment until I read about it in this post. Since this is for everyones safety.. I think all should be checked, VIP's or not. I am well aware that our Pope would do nothing to hurt others... but how do they know that? how can they make that kind of judgement about anyone..

When I was travelling in Egypt, on a bus trip to Sharm el Sheikh, Some officers came on board and asked for ID's (they were very strict as Bush was there).. and no one asked me for anything - I seemed to be harmless to them - guess why ... I'm female. I was rather insulted. I CAN BE DANGEROUS TOO !

Anyway, my point is, all should be treated equally and alll should walk through the metal detector. If I was ever to become a VIP (hahaha), i wouldn't mind in the least bit. Would you?

+God Bless
  • Hi Hizz,

Nice to see u too.

Going through a metal detector/scan in an airport is not at all humiliating. THose that reported this to the press and made a big deal out of it, and are asking for an apology have had an ulterior motive.

If I insist that someone apologies to you for something that caused you no offence, then basically, all I'm doing is saying either you should have been offended, or causing you unnecessary embarrassement.

• Severus,

You're a funny guy.  I think you have finally figured out that there are certain things that get my ire very quickly.

You're also a good guy.
  • do you people know something....i'm just sick of the discrimination in this world..i'm in the UK and i didn't know about this until i read this post, it's not fair. hasn't the pope seen enough? but what can we say..if his home country has put him in prison before, then what do you expect from other countries?

if anybody thinks in the UK christians do not get mistreated well, think again now.
    also it looks to me like christians wherever they are will get discriminated against!
    people here call me paki although i'm egyptian!!! how horrible is that? god i'm angry now
  • This may not apply,
    but...

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is th kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:10
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=6453.msg85710#msg85710 date=1208137491]
    Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is th kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:10

yeah i know...but i get really annoyed sometimes!!!!!! grrrr