Weekday Vespers

Are there, during the Great Fast, supposed to be vespers? I learned that there is not supposed to be, but other people say otherwise

Comments

• No there shouldn't be vespers, the liturgies are done in the evening therefore not making vespers something being able to be prayed. Vespers is supposed to be the night before the liturgy while matins is directly before
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6431.msg84939#msg84939 date=1207097190]
    No there shouldn't be vespers, the liturgies are done in the evening therefore not making vespers something being able to be prayed. Vespers is supposed to be the night before the liturgy while matins is directly before

that's y u read all the 5 prayers of agpeya. cuz since there is no vespers, they ought to be read during liturgy.
  • good, thats the answer i was looking for, thanks guys
  • I was taught that you have Vespers at 5:00 in the evening according to the rites and since the masses are supposed to finish at 6 there cant be asheia.
  • [quote author=Kamal Aziz link=topic=6431.msg85465#msg85465 date=1207813509]
    I was taught that you have Vespers at 5:00 in the evening according to the rites and since the masses are supposed to finish at 6 there cant be asheia.

not really. vespers doesn't have a specific time. also this idea of finishing liturgies at 6/7 is just mostly here in the US and not in egypt. liturgies are 12 to 3 in egypt.
  • There's no Vespers on weekdays of Lent, that's true.
    The reason i heard as well is that weekday liturgies traditionally end very late,
    so it would be impractical to pray the psalms, vespers praise and vespers. For this reason all the psalms are prayed before the offertory like mina said.

Keep in mind however, that there's normal vespers on the night of sunday (ie saturday evening)

• [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=6431.msg85500#msg85500 date=1207844174]
    There's no Vespers on weekdays of Lent, that's true.
    The reason i heard as well is that weekday liturgies traditionally end very late,
    so it would be impractical to pray the psalms, vespers praise and vespers. For this reason all the psalms are prayed before the offertory like mina said.

Keep in mind however, that there's normal vespers on the night of sunday (ie saturday evening)

Yea that's right....