Lent??

Lent was only every 33 years when the church began?? But now it's every year? Is that because we take it less seriously than people did back in the day?

Comments

• I've never heard this before, would you mind showing a source where you got this. The number makes sense so they would celebrate every 33 years but i've never heard this before
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6361.msg83879#msg83879 date=1205805076]
    Lent was only every 33 years when the church began?? But now it's every year? Is that because we take it less seriously than people did back in the day?

i don't think that is true. I know thoo that it was first 1 day, than 3, than a week (maybe), than 40 days (i.e. Lent), and 55, adding holy week and prepartion.
  • it used to be every 33 years, just as Christ's age, but the church found that some people passed away before they can even celebrate Ressurection (because that was once every 33 years) that they made it every year so it can be celebrated by all.
  • what's the source?
  • Well yes I have heard this before but not lent it was every thing. The Great Lent used TO COME EVERY 33 YEARS, as mentioned to be Christs age. But what happened was some people would never get to experience it or at most twice so the church decided to make it every year for everyone to benefit. Sorry can't get a source right now but let me work on it.
  • My parish priest was the source. But I don't understand how it became to be every year... Like when was this change issued?
  • I heard from my priest that it was Pascha that was every 32 years.....this was a looooong time ago
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=6361.msg83895#msg83895 date=1205815254]
    I heard from my priest that it was Pascha that was every 32 years.....this was a looooong time ago

that is what i have heard to.
  • no the whole lent is what i heard, my church priests said that as well. but 33 years not 32. i believe it was a pope, his name began with a p i think, he made it so that the lent comes together with pascha as well as every year and that the pascha and that the Ressurection is aligned with the lunar equinox
  • I think leant used to be 40 days, then when the Church entered tribulations, they added another week to it, then they decided to keep that extra week in there because of the blessing of the lent...  i heared this before.. but cannot 100% confirm it... so plz correct me if i am wrong

God Bless

Coptic Pharaoh
  • I believe the Pasca and the Paschal Feast (Resurrection) are the ones that were celebrated every 33 yrs.  The Pope that carried the reckoning to the lunar calendar was Demetrius the Vinedresser.  

The Council of Nicea having discussed the matter in terms of the different traditions that celebrated the Paschal Feast, there were some that were noted every 33 yrs, some on days that were not concurrent with the Jewish Passover, some that did not celebrate on a Sunday (even in the middle of the week) relative to an event anniversary.

It was decided that The Feast of the Resurrection would be celebrated the First Sunday after the 14th Day of the Jewish Month of Nisan.  The responsibility for the announcement of the Feast fell to the task of the Head of the Church of Alexandria (the Coptic Pope) to send an encyclical to all of Christendom to announce the timing of Lent, Pascha Week, and the Paschal Feast.

The Western Churches have since diverted from this formula.
  • Lent is actually three fasts conjoined into one, that is why it is called the Great Lent:  the Holy 40 days, the Week of Pascha, and the extra eight days.

The extra 8 days have been interpreted in two traditions:  (as was said previously) an adjunct fast that was relative to days of persecution, or as a preliminary to account for the days of non-abstinence that are within the holy 40 days, i.e, Sundays.

His Holiness has noted both interpretations, and accepts both.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6361.msg83954#msg83954 date=1205880557]
    Lent is actually three fasts conjoined into one, that is why it is called the Great Lent:  the Holy 40 days, the Week of Pascha, and the extra eight days.

The extra 8 days have been interpreted in two traditions:  (as was said previously) an adjunct fast that was relative to days of persecution, or as a preliminary to account for the days of non-abstinence that are within the holy 40 days, i.e, Sundays.

His Holiness has noted both interpretations, and accepts both.

I thought those 8 extra days were for preparation, correct me if I'm mistaken please!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Coptic Servant,

like ilovesaintmark, these 8 days were added for

an adjunct fast that was relative to days of persecution, or as a preliminary to account for the days of non-abstinence that are within the holy 40 days, i.e, Sundays.

God Bless

Coptic Pharoah
  • Alright, thanks for correcting me coptic pharoah!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent