Married Bishops

I was reading the Biography of St. Gregory the Theologion, on wikipedia (yes i kno how unreliable it is) but it was the one site with the most information.
It said that St. Gregory's father was elected bishop, and he elected his son to the priesthood?
My question is when did we stop allowing Bishops to get married?

Comments

• Probably around the 4th century is what my Father of Confession said. It was around the time of the Nicean Council he also said... it came around the time when St. Paul taught about such things... like those who love God don't get married (somewhere in his epistles).'
    and all traditional churches are this way (he also said)

make sense?
  • They introduced the modern system that we use today in the mid-6th century, I believe. Before, bishops could be married.
  • I heard that Martyrdom, Heresies, and other factors like giving family attention and time lead to the Bishops being unmarried, but the exact date I'm not sure.  Also I think Alexandria was one of the first to adopt the tradition that a Bishop cannot be married, since at the time of St. Demetrios the vine dresser (220 A.D.)some people objected because he was married.  Then I think the other sees soon followed with this Dogma. 

Also if you think that wikipedia is unreliable you can go to the Catholic Encyclopedia (as long as you search before the council of Calcedon your okay). http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07010b.htm