Poverty

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Hey guys here is this website that shows people dying from hunger,AIDS.Pneumoia etc. This link is the one about hunger http://www.poverty.com/index.html
This made me feel Im very lucky to be alive every second someone dies from hunger but im not sure is this information true?

Comments

• yeahh this information is probably true: i mean you gotta check your sources, but use your judgement with the site. i saw the site, and it seems credible.

its sad isnt it?
    we are truly blessed.
    we should really pray for all of these people, that they find God if they havent already.

my heart is going out to all of those homeless people in downtown Toronto right now... HORRIBLE storm for the last over 24 hours.

GB!
  • I know, its horrible what these people have to go through.  Really we should thank God that there is a roof above our heads!!

The thing is there are many charity groups that say they are collecting to send it over there, but I heard many things about how like some of these groups keep a portion of the money to themselves.

I don't know, do you guys think its a good idea to donate to these groups even if you don't know if they are saying the truth?
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6328.msg83556#msg83556 date=1205189903]

The thing is there are many charity groups that say they are collecting to send it over there, but I heard many things about how like some of these groups keep a portion of the money to themselves.

I don't know, do you guys think its a good idea to donate to these groups even if you don't know if they are saying the truth?

Yeah I know I heard the same thing anyways if we do donate and it does not end up to these people will God count it as if we gave to the poor?
  • If it's really a charity, then they WILL have a registration number!! Anba Abraam Charity (the one that The Church of the Virgin Mary & St Athanasius Miss.) is a good one.

See, there are a lot, but before donating if your unsure, if you wanna do some research check if they have a charity registration number, and their financial info. there is a site for it but i can't remember it :S

Everytime I pass by someone in the streets i feel like i really really want to take off my scarf, or gloves and give it to them! it BREAKS my heart.  :(

we should do a day, where we all go downtown, or wherever you live and give away scarves and gloves.
  • [quote author=nessa11 link=topic=6328.msg83590#msg83590 date=1205271769]

Everytime I pass by someone in the streets i feel like i really really want to take off my scarf, or gloves and give it to them! it BREAKS my heart.  :(

we should do a day, where we all go downtown, or wherever you live and give away scarves and gloves.

No but some people in downtown are homeless because they used their money for drugs and if they cant afford a home there is this program that the government pays for your home and all your bills they even give you foodstamps so whats their reason for living on the streets .But a lot of  the poor people in other countries are really poor bcuz of the enviorment they live in and there are not a lot of job opportunities.Some just dropped out htats why they are homeless.I do wish to give the poor people.
  • that's true that some people are out on the streets cause' of stupid mistakes, but i dont know, i just think that nobody deserves to be out on the streets no matter what dumb things they did.

+ like you said, some ppl cause of low job oppurtunities, but like even with child poverty it keeps people poor.

children who work to support their families dont get a decent education, and then it goes on.
  • either way its sad
  • So would any of you guys know reliable ways to help people like the ones in the video?
  • i guess a way to do that is to donate TIME, not just money. volunteering + the donations.

and PRAY for them :D always helps !
  • [quote author=nessa11 link=topic=6328.msg83590#msg83590 date=1205271769]

that dosent work.... the homeless r used to living by themsleves....as crazy as that sounds...my teacher went to give 1 of them a sandwich...the guy swore at her badly and left..and another guy refused and went in front of them to eat from garbage.... i know it is crazy...but that is wat i know....
  • A church can maybe make an organization and send the money to them.
  • [quote author=coptic pharoah link=topic=6328.msg83639#msg83639 date=1205377880]
    [quote author=nessa11 link=topic=6328.msg83590#msg83590 date=1205271769]

that dosent work.... the homeless r used to living by themsleves....as crazy as that sounds...my teacher went to give 1 of them a sandwich...the guy swore at her badly and left..and another guy refused and went in front of them to eat from garbage.... i know it is crazy...but that is wat i know....

i'm sure there are SOME people who'd accept the donations/food  ??? :-\

Loca4Christ... Yeah i agree, my church has a charity, its a good ideaa/
  • Its so weird because some of them might get offended when you offer them something (other than cigarettes for some reason) while others get very happy at the sight of food or clothes.  So I guess sometimes we just have to know who we are dealing with.
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6328.msg83639#msg83639 date=1205377880]
    [quote author=nessa11 link=topic=6328.msg83590#msg83590 date=1205271769]

I Hate to say this but, their pride is what makes them do this....i dont want your pity, leave me alone i can find food on my own!!!....May God Help Them, and Help us Help Them
  • HOMELESS PEOPLE ARE HUMAN BEINGS!!!!!!
    THERE ARE NOT CHARITY SO THAT U CAN THROW FOOD AT THEM AND AUTOMATICALY ASSUME THEY'LL LOVE U FOR IT!!!
    IF U DONT GIVE FROM UR HEART THEN UR WASTING UR TIME
    PEOPLE DONT NEED UR SYMPATHY THEY NEED EMPATHY!! N THERE IS A DIFFERENCE B/WEEN BOTH TERMS....
    TRUE HAPPINESS IS TO LOVE AND BE LOVED.....TALK TO THEM N TREAT THEM LIKE NE OTHA PERSON NOT LIKE A 'HOMELESS PERSON'
    WE ALL STRUGGLE, WAT MAKES THEIR SITUATION NE DIFFERENT?
    POVERTY IS NOT ONLI LIVIN ON THE STREET, ITS LIVIN IN AN EXPENSIVE HOUSE U CANT AFFORD BUT FEEL U HAVE TO SO U LOOK GOOD IN SOCIETY, YET WITHIN THIS FAMILY HOME, UZ ARE STRUGGLING!
    [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6328.msg83639#msg83639 date=1205377880]that dosent work....
    DO NOT EVER LOSE HIM IN UR FAMILY! WE ARE BROTHERS N SISTERS IN CHRIST!...
  • Kerestina alludes to the fact that the phenomena of "homeless people" is indeed multifactorial. Whilst some deserve, perhaps, the criticism we have made here (though it would be hypocritical not to apply that same criticism to yourself, and those you love), they deserve dignity, even if they would only want sympathy ("a free ride"). As far as I can tell, and I must confess I have not researched this lately, many homeless are from working families who were living on the fringe of their financial means like many of our families, and were unfortunate to "get fired", "be divorced" etc. etc.

Whilst the Bible says that we should work for our food, when someone is sick and without dignity, I think it is impressed upon us to show them the mercy that Christ did- try to get them a job? try to give them their self-respect, by yes- empathy!

You can't empathise if you do not talk to them, and try to relate your experiences to get an idea of what it is like in their shoes. Of course, sadly, all of society is becoming more rude and violent- and I say ALL- and thus, I would not recommend anyone young to do this, and I certainly think that it should not be a private matter- you should have this conversation in the public. You should hear and read their stories. Pray for them.

I speak with bias, since I myself have not really seen much homeless or interacted with them. In my fancy doubstorey house, and private school, I make this observation. Take this, or leave it. I think God will test me soon enough whether these are my true principles.
  • I was at a restaurant with some friends the other day, and the path between the car and the restaurant was a lengthy, empty and dark one.

On our way back to the car, my friend and I saw a Vinnies van in action, it said "Come for a meal and a chat".

Well my first reaction was, "RUNNNN", and then I realised they were just poor people.. so then came sympathy.. But then I was struck by the message on the van, "... and a chat". They didn't give food to the  poor people and then send them on their way, they had little chairs set up and they invited them to come and sit and talk. The signitficance of this is exactly what you guys are talking about... In order to actually help, we need to do more than just provide a fee that they can use once.

Me, I'd probably run, but hopefully I'll grow out of it one day.
  • nice story if it was me i would run too.  But if i had someone older than me with me ill ask them to come with me.