The Sin of Judging

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What is exactly is the sin of judging? because it seems any thought that u have is judging, or wen i tell someone off for swearing or something they say why judge me for. so wat exactly is it?

Thnx and God Bless

Comments

• [quote author=soldier for scetis link=topic=6294.msg83037#msg83037 date=1204109404]
    What is exactly is the sin of judging? because it seems any thought that u have is judging, or wen i tell someone off for swearing or something they say why judge me for. so wat exactly is it?

Thnx and God Bless

let's start with this. There is no such sin. Judging is just an act that we will be judged on. the bible is clear:

Matthew 7:1
    "Judge not, that you be not judged.
  • Judgement is the act of examining another's deeds and then commenting on them or passing a sentence of some kind, which evaluates what they are doing and blames them, or offers destructive criticism.

ok soldier for scetis, here are some points on judging others by H.H. Pope Shenouda III in "Judge not others" (summarised):

Cases in which judgement is not wrong

Responsibility and pastoral work e.g. a judge who's duty and job is to judge criminals,  or natural, spiritual and pastoral fathers who judge their children so that they walk in the correct way. Also, God gave the church the power to judge "Who's sins you remit, they shall be remitted to them, and those whom you retain, shall be retained to them." (Matthew 18:18).

Natural Distinction
    Condemnation might sometimes be a natural thing; mere distinction of good and evil, e.g. if you hear somebody insult someone else, you can't help but think this is insulting. It is a natural discernment from God, i.e. your consicence.

The significance of some biblical commandments
    There is a verse: "Make no friends with those given to anger, and do not associate with hotheads" (Prov 22:24). How can we follow this commandment without making the judgement that a person is a hothead?

Judging heresies and heterodoxies
    "Do not recieve into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this (correct) teaching" (2 Jn. 10)

Advice guidance and approach
    It is not wrong to recognise that someone has gone from the truth. We cannot guide sinners unless we know that they are so.

Criticism

correct and building criticism, that critics write about etc.

Self Condemnation
    This is not only permittable, but a virtue: "Condemn yourself,my brother,before you are condemned" (St. Macarius the Great)

more to come soon
    pray for me

joe
  • There is a difference between judging someones actions and judging a human being. A persons state is dynamic and so you cannot say that a person is 'bad' because you've seen them do something(s) wrong. Everyone does wrong things and everybody makes mistakes but it doesn't mean everyone is bad... That's up to God to decide and in reality, only God can decide it since he's the only one who knows us inside-out.

Now making a decision that a wrong deed has been done is very different and essential to anyones growth. If we recognise mistakes made by others or by ourselves it's less likely that we'll repeat them.

The cases mentioned above by Josephgabriel can all be managed by judging actions, not people.
  • Judging with hypocrisy is the sin.
  • i had a question... topic: Judge...
    When a judge judges that somwone goes to jial..dosen't he ruin their future... they might deserve it but..y do we judge?...

Do not Judge that you may not be Judged... it is very clear and starigh forword...plz help on on this subject
  • we are allowed to judge if we are in a position to do so... eg. a judge...

A judge actually judges a persons deeds anyway, so he's not saying this person is bad, this person is good... no - he's saying okai.. this person did something wrong, so we're going to keep him locked up so he doesn't do any more damage..
  • but that judge can overrule the jury..he DECIDES if that person gets the death sentnce or not... if they go to jail for 45 years...it shouldn't be up to a human to decide the future of the other...  wat if God wants to do somthing different...?
  • In Australia, I do believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the jury decides.. and We don't have the death sentence [But I'm kind of guessing yyou're not from Australia?]. Yes, it is not up to us to decide the fate of a person.. but in order for a community to live in a secure and relatively peaceful society, this has to be done.

These people have been given a power that they should use for good, and they don't just sentence people to whatever, you know.. they make an educated and well thought out judgement.

Just pray that God allows for His will to be done in these cases.

+God Bless
  • I think there are two issues here that need to be ironed out that people have really gotten mixed up:

1) There appears to be some confusion between "judging" someone and "condemning" someone.

We have the right to make judgements. We have no right to condemn others based on our judgements.

For example. I am going to employ someone, I have to make a judgement about their suitability for the post. When my kids grow up, I have to make judgements about their friends, and their school and I must know what they should and should not do. I cannot say that because some kid is ill-mannered or rude, that he deserves eternal damnation.

If one of the friends of my children happens to be a drug dealer, I have the right to make a judgement about their personality. I have NO right to condemn that person to hell. That's not for me.

Kind Solomon said :"give me wisdom so that I may judge these wicked people".

Its true, he was a ruler and was the judge of the country. We are not rulers. But to be naive and not make judgements is unwise. If I see a man raping a woman, and I intervene, is that judging?? What if the man turned to me and said :"Why are u judging me for?... How do u know I'm raping her, and i havent just fallen over by accident?".

b) THe passage in the Bible :"Judge others so that you will not be judged" is a message telling me:

How i treat others, I will be treated.

And this does hold true.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'll ask abouna anyway the next time I see him.

• Hizz_Child      i do not live in australia..and as far as i know there is no death penalty where i live(Canada)
    here too..the jury decides if person guilty or not..but not what he will do if they r guilty..they say "he is guilty" than the judge decides wat to do with him..jail or house arrest or whatever...and if the jury votes "not gulty"..then the judge agrees or has the right to "over rule" the jurry... anyways Forgive me for getting so off topic..

Pray for me for i am a sinner

Coptic Pharoah
  • No, it's not okai to judge someone.. you can judge actions not people.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6294.msg83747#msg83747 date=1205474422]
    No, it's not okai to judge someone.. you can judge actions not people.

Hi Hizz,

Did abouna say that?

So what's the difference exactly between judging actions and not the person? I'm judging the actions of the person. If I judge the person, then I'm condemning him/her. THat would be wrong. Its always judging the actions.

Look. If a person EVERYDAY swears and insults others, is it fair for me to say :"Gosh, he's rude, i'd better stay away from such a person".

I cannot say :"Well, today he's a bit rude, perhaps tomorrow he'll change" and then subject myself to MORE insults.

• no, it's not up to you to say that a human being is rude. You could however decide that its not ok to insult people, hence you are judging the deed not the person.

Let me ask you something, if someone fell in the sin of lying once, would you call them a liar?
    You cannot judge a person because you don't have all the information, only God does, which is why only He can judge us. 

How would you feel if you made a mistake and then everyone judged your whole entire personality on that one moment of weaknesS? I wouldn't be happy.

We were all created equal, not good and evil. Just as you make mistakes, recognise and try to fix them- the next person does as well.

Oh and by the way, abouna did say that... He's pretty convincing though.. right?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6294.msg83749#msg83749 date=1205496058]
    no, it's not up to you to say that a human being is rude. You could however decide that its not ok to insult people, hence you are judging the deed not the person.

Let me ask you something, if someone fell in the sin of lying once, would you call them a liar?
    You cannot judge a person because you don't have all the information, only God does, which is why only He can judge us. 

How would you feel if you made a mistake and then everyone judged your whole entire personality on that one moment of weaknesS? I wouldn't be happy.

We were all created equal, not good and evil. Just as you make mistakes, recognise and try to fix them- the next person does as well.

Oh and by the way, abouna did say that... He's pretty convincing though.. right?

Hi Hizz,

That's great that you know what abouna said. It saves me time in asking. Well done for getting the info!

I just wish to know this:

If I saw a man raping a woman. Am I judging? How can I be sure he's really raping her - is that your point?

Yes, it doesnt make him a rapist if he's only doing once.

But if I was to judge the act: The act is wrong. But in judging the act, you've made an automatic judgement on the person.

I totally agree that we should not judge the person: Like its wrong to say "I saw you do something wrong, therefore you are an idiot".

Furthermore, this topic is very interesting. As, we have to make judgements based on the person we marry. If a girl told me she was a practicing Christian and wanted to marry a man that was already married, I'd have to make a judgement about her relationship with Christ and say :"There's a screw loose somewhere with this person". You see what I mean??

Is abouna calling us to be blind???

Now, I'm not disputing what abouna said. In fact, I agree even. We cannot judge completely because we do not see the WHOLE story. How can we judge?

• You contradict yourself.
    Can you please rephrase, I'm having trouble understanding....
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6294.msg83751#msg83751 date=1205500950]
    You contradict yourself.
    Can you please rephrase, I'm having trouble understanding....

Hi.

My apologies, i was just thinking out aloud whilst I was typing.

Can you summarise exactly what judging is and what it isnt? Could you give us real life examples??

If I have to employ somesone for a post, and I make a judgement that they are not suitable, is that "judging"? Perhaps I could be wrong about them?

Surely this also applies to finding a wife. One has to make judgements on the person we meet to know whether they are suitable to be a wife or not?? U agree?
  • Right Guys, here goes:

Judging is simply is passing a judgement on something, e.g. in a court of law, a judge passes judgement on the convicted, or I judge in my mind that someone is good or bad at something. Judging in some instances is wrong, and in others necessary, which I will outline below. But Jesus said: "Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you make you will be judged" (Mat 7:1)

Condemnation however is a sin. Condemnation involves not only judging that a person is doing wrong, but then going further and saying "he deserves such and such, and he is a terrible person", for example. It is a sin, because we as humans are in no postition to condemn anybody, as God is the Righteous Judge and commanded us: "If any of you is without sin, let him cast the first stone at her" (John 8:7). The only time condemnation is justified is self-condemnation, which is in fact a virtue which leads to humbleness and repentance ("Condemn yourself my brother, before you are condemned" (St Macarius the Great).

Now, back to judgement.

Responsibility and pastoral work e.g. a judge who's duty and job is to judge criminals,  or natural, spiritual and pastoral fathers who judge their children so that they walk in the correct way. Also, God gave the church the power to judge "Who's sins you remit, they shall be remitted to them, and those whom you retain, shall be retained to them." (Matthew 18:18).

Natural Distinction
    Condemnation might sometimes be a natural thing; mere distinction of good and evil, e.g. if you hear somebody insult someone else, you can't help but think this is insulting. It is a natural discernment from God, i.e. your consicence.

There is a verse: "Make no friends with those given to anger, and do not associate with hotheads" (Prov 22:24). How can we follow this commandment without making the judgement that a person is a hothead?

"Do not recieve into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this (correct) teaching" (2 Jn. 10)

It is not wrong to recognise that someone has gone from the truth. We cannot guide sinners unless we know that they are so.

Criticism

• [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6294.msg83864#msg83864 date=1205791179]
    Right Guys, here goes:

Judging is simply is passing a judgement on something, e.g. in a court of law, a judge passes judgement on the convicted, or I judge in my mind that someone is good or bad at something. Judging in some instances is wrong, and in others necessary, which I will outline below. But Jesus said: "Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you make you will be judged" (Mat 7:1)

Condemnation however is a sin. Condemnation involves not only judging that a person is doing wrong, but then going further and saying "he deserves such and such, and he is a terrible person", for example. It is a sin, because we as humans are in no postition to condemn anybody, as God is the Righteous Judge and commanded us: "If any of you is without sin, let him cast the first stone at her" (John 8:7). The only time condemnation is justified is self-condemnation, which is in fact a virtue which leads to humbleness and repentance ("Condemn yourself my brother, before you are condemned" (St Macarius the Great).

Now, back to judgement.

Natural Distinction

Criticism

Thanks Joe,

I have a quick question actually:

With respect to condemnation, if someone does something wrong to someone else, and they get away with it (theft, murder, whatever...) and I say to myself :"They deserve the same back to them!!" - is that condemning???

Thanks
  • thanks CertifiedOrthodox, an intriguing question. Its not a sin to discern within yourself that what they have done is wrong, but I think that judging them is wrong because you are not in any postition of authority to judge, and you don't have any idea of the circumstances that this person was in etc. i.e. you don't know all of the details, it could be complicated. That's why God is the Judge, because he alone knows the hidden: "Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God" (1 Corinthians 4:5). So to sum up, it is not worng to say that what they did was wrong, as long as it isn't in hypocrisy, but it is worng to choose their punishment or condemn them.

pray for me

joe
  • hey joseph
    that was a very nice list of wen judging is not wrong..would u or any1 else for the matter mind posting wen judging is wrong with examples pls..thank u

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • thank you perfectsinner, i will try and get Pope Shenouda's wisdom from his book here:

Types of Judging others that are wrong

Judging by the mind
    This is the slightest type of judgement, because it is confined to oneself, but it is dangerous, as it leads to all other types of judgement. It could simply be a spiritual war, in which a person conquers, or it could develop into sin if a person accepts it.

Judging by the tongue
    There are various forms of this:
    Backbiting - Talking maliciously about a person behind his back.
    Slander - Defaming others, revealing their faults or ascribing faults to them
    Condemnation - There are two types, partial and complete, e.g. there is a difference between saying that a person is a liar in a certain situation, and saying that he is a liar (i.e. that it is part of his character).
    Defaming - Spreading the sins of people publicly.
    Judging by printed media
    Judging by hearing
    Words faciliating judgment - when you open up a conversation to indirectly start to judge someone

sorry this is a short list, im in a hurry, but I will try to expand, or someone else can

pray for me

joe