Mary Magdalene

Who is Mary Magdalene
in the synexarium..it says she is the one that God cast 7 demons out
but is she also the sinner woman/adultress...
and is the sinner woman (that was to be stonned) the same one that put perfume on Jesus's feet and wiped His feet with her tears...
are these all 1 person or 2 people?

Comments

• plz correct me if im wrong

what i know is yes she is the seven demons one, but shes not the adulteress women, im pretty sure of that..
    and bout the perfume, i think its not her, but were not sure, like my priest told me that we dont know who that women was, but it could be, the bible says wat she did would be remembered, and if it was mary magdelane, then they could have used her name as it was used before thats why i think it was a different person.

thats my understanding
  • but shes not the adulteress women, im pretty sure of that..

I have to disagree on that one, dont u remember in The Passion (and other movies about Christ) that Mary Magdalena was the adulteress woman who was about to get stoned but Jesus forgave her:

John 8

1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. 12

i think this was Mary Magdalena, or am i mistaking ???
  • wasnt she a prostitute? :-\
  • so it is her or it isnt? :-\
  • Hey guys,

In the catholic tradition, which may confuse some people, she is depicted (as in the passion movie) being the women in sin. There is no evidence in the Bible to support this and it is part of their tradition. We do not see Mary Magdalene as being a sinful women in any of our traditions, this is strictly catholic.

However she was the women who had 7 deamons cast out, this is scriptural.

Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven demons.

There are also 3 anointing in the scriptures, people often confuse these so please don't let that confuse any of you into thinking that Mary Magdalene is the women in sin.

God bless,

CS
  • thanx coptic soldier ;) ;)
    tough break Hos irof, maybe next time ;D
    yeh i know that the movie portraryed that wrongly however if u notice the movie neva said that that was mary magdalene.
  • actually it did, caus it was something Mary Magdalena remembered in the flash back, and it was obvious that it was her, but we know now that it came from the Catholic tradition, so all is cleared up now :)
  • matt, ur such a wog!!
    its Mary Magdalene not Mary Magdelena!
    lol

yalla bye
    EsHtA :P
  • verry funny :P, its actually MagdalenA in dutch ;D
  • lol
    but U R such a WOG....

WOGS RULE!!!! ;D
    lol, how cute....magdalena!?

GBU ;D ;)
  • whats a wog lol ???
  • lol no comment :P
  • lol, i looked up for it already :P
  • thanks a lot CopticSoldier :) and all of u :)
  • ok i was close...

so the sinner woman is still a MARY (Martha and Lazarus's sister)..right???????

"Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick." John 11;1,2..

• PrincessMary,
    There are two incidents of Ladies annointing Jesus with oil. The first one you mentioned, it was Mary the sister of Lazours and Martha. She was the sinner. Refrence to that story is in Luke 7: 36-50
    The second incident is Mentioned in Matthew 26: 6-13, she is the lady that noone mentions her name. she annointes Jesus's head. Not the same person

Here is a funny coincedence though. In both cases, Jesus was at the the house of Simon (still different simon in both cases; First is Simon the pharesee, second is Simon the leper)
    Just my thoughts