Something we desperately need as coptics

I am getting so sick of these stupid western bibles with wrong translations and so many more issues. Just as someone said on CopticHymns.net, I bought 50 bibles throughout the last year but they are useless and just sitting on my bookshelf. I too have the same problem. Do you guys think we could start a petition for a bishop in england, australia or america to translate a bible into english? Also possibly the same bishop gather commentaries from church fathers and put it on the corresponding page in the bible? Even Possibly write his own explanations and put them on the corresponding page?

I heard about the new Orthodox Study Bible which came out this month (Febuary 2008), but I heard already from the people who got about things which are very wrong and againist our beliefs. Nobody is as close to the coptic church as the Eastern Orthodox. Clearly that bible is better than the New King James version because that's by protestants but still it's not the greatest. I ordered my version and i almost regret it. So what do you guys think? Possibly ask Anba David, Anba Youssef, Anba Angelos, Anba Sorial, even possibly Anba Daniel?? I really think it's something we need and it's a huge disadvantage not to have our own translation of the bible.

Comments

• What major issue do you hear from them? i go to coptichymns.net as well and i didn't see any major issues. I myself have one and the only problem i have with it, is the unusual order to the OT and not having christs words in red in the NT. Obviously the book is not perfect, but again what major issue do you have with it? any verses that are missing since you have soo many Bibles anyway just look them up there.
  • I have not actually received my version yet, but from what some people on coptichymns.net said that some verses were missing and like some verse which is in the New King James ch. 27 is in the LXX on ch. 37. That's a pretty big issue. BTW, I said i didn't like the Western bibles because of the major issues in them, I wasn't talking about LXX.
  • After your post i went back and i did check on it. you are right that the chapters don't correspond and some verses are missing but this is the most accurate translation of the OT(as a whole that is including the duetrocanical books). you could always use both Bibles. I agree with you that you could suggest we make a Bible of our own but that would be a lot of work when you can just use both Bibles. its good in my opinion to use more than one source for things so that you have a better background but thats just my opinion. i personally really like this Bible
  • I agree with you JyDeacon. I love how it has the lost books and everything however, like i said before, It's missing some verses and it doesn't corespond with the NKJV. I am not an expert in the bible and I will start getting confused if I read both. But don't you agree that if we had our own bible just for the coptics that it would be great? Even if it took a long time, I think it would be still worth it. I'm kinda spectical about this translation thing being the translation that the apostles had. Kinda sounds weird to me.
  • Yeah i agree it would have been great if we had our own bible just for us copts even if it did take a long time but i still hold faithful to this book for now.  they did a great job and God Bless them and the service they have provided.
  • No doubt what they did took a lot of work and it's great to have. Like I said before, I ordered my copy and I really hope it comes soon. But no doubt also that it would be better to have our own coptic bible translated by a trustable source.
  • lol we have this discussion going on here as well:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6258.0