Illnesses & Diseases

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Why do we have such things?? Didn't our Lord Jesus Christ want us to be happy, not see someone suffer from an illness or la ife-threatening disease or mutation?? Then why do we have diseases (such as cancers and other main ones like aids or stds) and mutations (such as down syndrome) or viruses (that may be effective or ineffective). Is it a way for us to suffer by all the sins we've committed?? DEU 7:15 "And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee." MAR 1:34 "And he healed many that were sick of diverse diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him." LUK 9:1 "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases" LUK 4:40 "Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them."

Forever,
Coptic Servent

Comments

• [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6253.msg82580#msg82580 date=1203568540]
    Why do we have such things?? Didn't our Lord Jesus Christ want us to be happy, not see someone suffer from an illness or la ife-threatening disease or mutation?? Then why do we have diseases (such as cancers and other main ones like aids or stds) and mutations (such as down syndrome) or viruses (that may be effective or ineffective). Is it a way for us to suffer by all the sins we've committed??
    Hey i learned tis in sunday school!! God gives these kind of diseases because He wants to see if we have faith!!! but he doesn't want to really give these diseases. He wants to see if our faith or our hope would be there or not. will it be strenghtened or not!!! it is the same question why are these bad things happening to us!?!?! We have to keep our faith and hope and love and wutever it is in Christ!!! do u get it!!?!?!

[quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6253.msg82580#msg82580 date=1203568540]
    DEU 7:15 "And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee." MAR 1:34 "And he healed many that were sick of diverse diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him." LUK 9:1 "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases" LUK 4:40 "Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them."

these verses are from back then!!! back then is different than now!!!! ok!?!?! hope i helped!!!
  • Hey i learned tis in sunday school!! God gives these kind of diseases because He wants to see if we have faith!!! but he doesn't want to really give these diseases. He wants to see if our faith or our hope would be there or not. will it be strenghtened or not!!! it is the same question why are these bad things happening to us!?!?! We have to keep our faith and hope and love and wutever it is in Christ!!! do u get it!!?!?!

Well, what if we have strong spiritual ways in our life, God still wants us to suffer?? That doesn't make much sense actually!! If he doesn't want to give these diseases out then why do we have them?? What if we were so dedicated to God and prayer and the church, but we still had a life-threatening illness??

verses are from back then!!! back then is different than now!!!! ok!?!?! hope i helped!!!

Some verses even from back in the day are still effecting how we manage out lifestyles, if I'm not mistakened!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Just because we are strong in our faith does not mean we won't get sick or get a disease or something. God puts those hardships in our lives on purpose so that we can get closer to him. Can you honestly say that if you did not get sick you would be as close to God as you are now? of course not. These constant illnesses show how weak we really are as humans and remind us of how much we need God. They can also be "nudges" to sort of wake us up from a state of inactivity in our faith so to say. God does not want us to suffer but allows it for our own good. Say you have a cut, so that it doesn't get infected you might put alcohol on it. This alcohol is for sure gonna burn if the wound is still open but purifies it from the infections that have gotten in or prevents them from going in. thats the same with God. Does that make sense?
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6253.msg82629#msg82629 date=1203622155]
    Just because we are strong in our faith does not mean we won't get sick or get a disease or something. God puts those hardships in our lives on purpose so that we can get closer to him.

exactly!! that is wut i meant!!! if we have faith or gain more faith that something good will happen after this horrible thing then we r getting closer to God!!!
  • God didn't make disease. He only allowed it to happen but the origin of it was Satan- the hater of mankind.
    + In most cases it was allowed to happen to be our test in life. Many people after geting a disease, lost faith completely.
    + In the minority of the cases, disease is allowed so that God will be glorified eg. by a miracle.[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6253.msg82629#msg82629 date=1203622155]
    Just because we are strong in our faith does not mean we won't get sick or get a disease or something.

+ An example of that is Job who got tested by many means but he did not lose his faith or love to God.
    Pray 4 me

• I think Lost pretty much said it all... but we also have to keep in mind that we shouldnt be questioning God and that everything happens for a reason. Everything bad that happens to us, God will make good out of it; so always have faith and always be thankful because it can be 10 times worse!
  • It is somtimes very hard. People who get a certain desease start saying why me? The devil attacks them with this. Some people aren't thankful to that extent. If I was in their position, I would deffinetly say why me. It's very hard especially if a certain desease is leading to the death of a loved one.
    Pray for me