worn out

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I need some advice and encouragement. I know a lot of protestants, and people in my church who have a protestant way of thinking. I know, it's a problem within all orthodox churches. It's been a problem most especially amongst the Armenian Orthodox, many of who have left their churches and have joined protestant churches, because of the protestant influence here, and the lack of education within their churches. It wears me out and gets me upset to have to explain stuff to them and others all the time, and to have to constantly defend our faith. The Sola Scriptura and other ideas are such terrible ones-of the devil in my opinion. I used to believe in them when I was younger, and didn't like Orthodoxy (even though I grew up in our churches) until I started studying protestantism, and then catholicism, and finally orthodoxy (our type.. not the eastern one). I understand what these people are going through, but on the other hand, I get aggravated and feel worn out by their nasty comments about our churches. When I was studying this stuff, I always tried to understand the other side of things, even if I didn't agree with it (which resulted in me falling in love with orthodoxy as a result), but I've noticed that many protestants are hard-headed and closed-minded and refuse to even try and understand things. I enjoy explaining things to people... it would be a sin to keep the truth of our churches from people, since we are called to preach the gospel and to bring people into our churches, but I'm worn out. protestantism wears me out spiritually, mentally, and physically because those sorts of people are only interested in arguing. I wish there was a way to explain these things easily to these sorts of people who only have the talent of bible quoting and belittling the authority of our church... which I cannot go up against. I feel so bad for these people, especially the ones within our oriental orthodox churches. we are attacked all the time by the protestants. It makes my heart so sad and heavy.

I was wondering if any of you have advice or encouragement for me regarding all of this.

:'( weary, yet hopeful in Christ
Jasmine

Comments

• I've noticed that not only you, but many people have been stereotyping many people, things, groups and events, myself included, but you have to understand that not all protestants are like that, one of my friends is protestant she doesn't criticize my church whatsoever, I see you really like talking about and defending our beloved religion, don't be upset that people are hard-headed, it's not your fault that they are that way.  I am really scared for you that the influence might have or might in the future effect you by turning to other churches or even people that have criticized our church and get into a physical debate in which you are not able to have self-control.  Don't worry so much about they say, we can't always be there, God will judge them, it's not up to us to do that, because we aren't the true teacher.  It's a true problem amongst many churches, schools, work places, communities that we all judge each other when we were never told to do so, they will get their time to confess maybe they hear about stuff and they thought differently, maybe they want some clarification about something and maybe they worded it wrong, it's not their fault that something slipped that might have caused them to go into a dilemma.  Assumptions are a true problem amongst the world today, please I beg all of you not to do this, it can be anything from hearing someone tell you that so-n-so said this and that about you, or about your religion and they probably didn't, and just because you don't like that person, you run into conclusions, spazz out at them and then all of a sudden they don't know what you're talking about, and you start arguing next thing you know, is you just judged someone on something they didn't do, assuming they said this and that, I'm guessing that maybe you talk to them one-on-one so you can probably get things clear between you to, whomever they may be, but just one last thing, don't always think that if you are surrounded by enough people that could ultimately change your perspectives about religion and life, that they aren't the only protestants, catholics, muslims so on and so forth out there!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6205.msg82023#msg82023 date=1202689355]
    I've noticed that not only you, but many people have been stereotyping many people, things, groups and events, myself included, but you have to understand that not all protestants are like that, one of my friends is protestant she doesn't criticize my church whatsoever, I see you really like talking about and defending our beloved religion, don't be upset that people are hard-headed, it's not your fault that they are that way.  I am really scared for you that the influence might have or might in the future effect you by turning to other churches or even people that have criticized our church and get into a physical debate in which you are not able to have self-control.  Don't worry so much about they say, we can't always be there, God will judge them, it's not up to us to do that, because we aren't the true teacher.  It's a true problem amongst many churches, schools, work places, communities that we all judge each other when we were never told to do so, they will get their time to confess maybe they hear about stuff and they thought differently, maybe they want some clarification about something and maybe they worded it wrong, it's not their fault that something slipped that might have caused them to go into a dilemma.  Assumptions are a true problem amongst the world today, please I beg all of you not to do this, it can be anything from hearing someone tell you that so-n-so said this and that about you, or about your religion and they probably didn't, and just because you don't like that person, you run into conclusions, spazz out at them and then all of a sudden they don't know what you're talking about, and you start arguing next thing you know, is you just judged someone on something they didn't do, assuming they said this and that, I'm guessing that maybe you talk to them one-on-one so you can probably get things clear between you to, whomever they may be, but just one last thing, don't always think that if you are surrounded by enough people that could ultimately change your perspectives about religion and life, that they aren't the only protestants, catholics, muslims so on and so forth out there!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

I know that everyone doesn't fall under the stereotypes. I have friends who don't, but I know of so, so many who do fall under the stereotypes.

To be quite honest, I don't enjoy defending the church and our faith THAT much. I don't mind talking about it sometimes, but it certainly isn't a preference of mine, especially with people who like debating all the time. what makes me talk about it is the fact that I get easily worked up about it. I know I shouldn't, but that's something I need to work on.

"I am really scared for you that the influence might have or might in the future effect you by turning to other churches or even people that have criticized our church and get into a physical debate in which you are not able to have self-control...."

You're right. Thanks for responding to all that I wrote. I'm not very good at dealing with things like this. Usually I try to avoid it because it doesn't do anything but bother me, but lately, I have been getting caught up in this stuff again. God's really good at pointing out to us our mistakes through the words of His servants such as yourself. I am truly thankful. Please remember my weakness in your prayers. I honestly don't want to get carried away in these sorts of things. I just want to focus on our relationship with God, praying to Him with all of my heart, and attending the Divine Liturgy. I don't want to get caught in things like this. i'm kind of embarassed that i've fallen into this  :-[ but am thankful that you pointed out my faults

jasmine

• I know that everyone doesn't fall under the stereotypes. I have friends who don't, but I know of so, so many who do fall under the stereotypes.

You may know of many, but that doesn't mean we have to "judge" (not in the sense of listing their pro's and con's, but instead learning about how they came to be and what not) them all together, it really isn't our duty to list their good and bad habits, but instead rely on the them for moral support and questioning, so that we may understand more than just what the intended arguement may be.

To be quite honest, I don't enjoy defending the church and our faith THAT much. I don't mind talking about it sometimes, but it certainly isn't a preference of mine, especially with people who like debating all the time. what makes me talk about it is the fact that I get easily worked up about it. I know I shouldn't, but that's something I need to work on.

It may not be fun because, I know that I don't know everything about our church, and if you are one like me, you shouldn't be "defending" it in a way that you might not back it up with actual evidence from the Holy Bible, and old scriptures or even parables and so on and so forth.  In human nature, (you probably already know this, but for those who dont...) it takes 21 days to be addicted to something and 21 days to get over something.  Don't just think that all of the things you learn will always be true, base it off of fact, and hopefully not off of opinion!!

You're right. Thanks for responding to all that I wrote. I'm not very good at dealing with things like this. Usually I try to avoid it because it doesn't do anything but bother me, but lately, I have been getting caught up in this stuff again. God's really good at pointing out to us our mistakes through the words of His servants such as yourself. I am truly thankful. Please remember my weakness in your prayers. I honestly don't want to get carried away in these sorts of things. I just want to focus on our relationship with God, praying to Him with all of my heart, and attending the Divine Liturgy. I don't want to get caught in things like this. i'm kind of embarassed that i've fallen into this    but am thankful that you pointed out my faults

My intention was not to pinpoint your faults for you, but in the sense that you will know what you need to work on.  If I was really stating your con's it would be a totally different conversation, hopefully I don't come across it ever again in my lifetime!! We all have our moments where we can't take it anymore in handeling situations, the only person that could actually handle those situations is from above. We all have our moments where we can explain the right answer and what not and have the other understand what we are saying, but we are still not able to do it alone. "But he answered and said, It is written that Man shall not live be bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4)

Forever,
    Coptic Servent