Revelation of the Trinity

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How many times has the Trinity revealed itself in the Bible? I know of the Transfiguration and Theophany. Is there any other time?

Comments

• In Genesis when He says Let Us make man in Our Own Image is one i know of besides those two, i'm sure there are more
  • His Servant,
    You are correct, those are the times the Trinity has released itself in the Bible. Those are the only two times the Trinity revealed itself.
  • When was the Holy Spirit revelaed in the time of Transfigurtaion.
  • Actually, there are many times when God's Name in the Old Testament implies plurality.
  • When Our Lord gave the Apostles the commandment at the end of the Gospels:  "Go forth and baptize them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".  This is a form of revelation, although not in the sensory inspired aspect as the Theophany at His Baptism, but nonetheless a verbal affirmation and revelation of the Triune God.
  • Also in the OT when Isaiah was called to be a prophet, in Isaiah 6:
    1 In the year that King Uzziah died, [b]I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple[/b]. 2 Above it stood Seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said:

“ Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD of hosts;
          The whole earth is full of His glory!”

4 And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke.

GBU
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and of the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

Another biblical instance of a Trinitarian theophany is in Genesis 18:1-5:
        1 Then the LORD appeared to him by the terebinth trees of Mamre,[a] as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 So he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing by him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the ground, 3 and said, “My Lord, if I have now found favor in Your sight, do not pass on by Your servant. 4 Please let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. 5 And I will bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh your hearts. After that you may pass by, inasmuch as you have come to your servant.”
    They said, “Do as you have said.”

The Transfiguration is found in Matthew 17:1-13:
    1 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; 2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us[a] make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
    5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!”    

The Father tells us us to obey the Son and the Cloud is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.
    Also when The Lord Jesus was baptized by St John the Baptist:
      16 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He[a] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. 17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

" For the Godhead is one in three, and the three are one, in whom the Godhead is... For to us there is but One God the Father, of whom are all things, and One Lord Jesus Christ, by Whom are all things; and One Holy Ghost, in whom are all things..."
                                            -St. Gregory Nazianzus, Oration on the Holy Lights, Epiphany 381, 10-16. B#17,SS Vol. VII, pp. 355-358

The whole Trinity is present in Transfiguration as well as in  the Jordan with the Lord Jesus.