Online confession

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Say i know a priest from America who i really like and i talk to through email and i live in Australia can i confess to him through email?

Comments

• [quote author=abflab91 link=topic=6093.msg81060#msg81060 date=1200550347]
    Say i know a priest from America who i really like and i talk to through email and i live in Australia can i confess to him through email?

very easy answer......NO.....

why: one small reason is because he will not be able to absolve you from your sins that you just confessed.
    before anyone starts saying so what about others who don't have any priests in the area, let's just  say there are exceptions for this and let God be the judge.
  • What minagir said is absolutely right. Also, part of confession included the humility to face someone and tell them that you've done wrong. If you confess online or even over the phone, that sense of wrong is lessened. Personally speaking, when I'm thinking about committing a sin, I realize that I'll have to face my FOC, my best friend, and tell him that I've done it. I feel so ashamed that I avoid it. I don't think you'd get the same feel if it was any other way.:)

Sleepy
  • I know some people that confess over the phone, should people also refrain from that?

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6093.msg81325#msg81325 date=1201047667]
    I know some people that confess over the phone, should people also refrain from that?

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

well it's the same concept....but i guess like i said before, there are exceptions for everything..
  • There is a difference. If you're living in Australia and confessing to a priest in America, that's wrong. However, if you confess to the priest of your own churcdh over the phone, that's different. The reason for that is because he knows you, and the next time he sees you at church, he can say the absolution for you.

PK