Being Coptic In the Diaspora

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

I'd like to ask your input/opinion on an issue that perhaps many of you are already or have already encountered.

If you are in the diaspora, is Coptic dying out? Are the Coptic hymns being replaced with English ones??

Coptic as a language is a language, in its own right. I don't particularly think our Orthodox faith is dependent on a particular language, but I do feel that the words, the spirituality, and the "way" we pray should be independent of the language.

What I find is that many songs, although theologically correct, are being sung in the Coptic Church in lieu of traditional coptic songs. I think these songs are perhaps "theologically" correct, but not really "orthodox" correct. The fact that they do not contradict our faith does not necessarily mean that they are in accordance with our orthodox spirituality.

There is going to be an issue with the Coptic language for generations to come within the Church; whether in Egypt OR outside Egypt. But what is the answer? Do we do away with Coptic language? or do embrace it even more than before??

What about your youth who neither understand arabic, NOR coptic? What does an arabic speaking Church offer them?? The Coptic songs, when translated in English don't sound as good. Should learning "coptic" be therefore an important part of any sunday school curriculum??

My Opinion:
------------

Well, just so you know, I'd like to explain where I stand:

I think the Pope should write for more hymns in English. Having said that, until that day comes, i don't feel singing in English nor introducing "theologically correct" English songs in our CHurch is the answer. I feel in doing this, we will dilute our Orthodox Spirituality. Orthodoxy, is not only about our dogma, but also about our "way" of prayer. If we introduce songs that do not subscribe to our spiritual philosophy, nor wisdom, i fear at that point, we would have done a huge disservice to our Church, and to our future generations.

Happy New Year to all of you,

Comments

• Personally, I think a revive in Coptic is badly needed. Why? If we abandon the Coptic language, then what makes us 'Coptic Orthodox'? Yes, we would say out history, traditions, and so forth. But if we lose our language, personally, it would make us...unoriginal.

H.H. Pope Shenouda should really focus, I think, on this aspect. The new generation would most likely learn it EASILY due to the relative similarity of the alphabet, with some words being very similar - "Evangelistees", "`Martyros", and so on. If anything, we have an advantage in the pronunciation of some letters - Pi and Theta, namely. We are already used to reading from left to right. It would be easier to transition to Coptic, and I would far rather keep our identity as Copts among other nations then just to blend in and assimilate to thier native language.
  • This is a very interesting topic you have raised here, my brothers/sisters, and I feel it is very important, too. It is true in the Diaspora, that Coptic hymns are declining, perhaps because only a few youth have the drive to learn and revive the church, and I feel this is natural as the church expands beyond it's roots in Egypt, as you get further away from a burning coal, you don't feel the heat as much. Our Coptic culture is also fading, with the passage of time into a modern era, in more developed countries, the Coptic people are introduced to new temptations, and our "tasarofat" (dealings) have changed due to our surrounding influences. Perhaps the reason for the church being so powerful in Egypt, so strong and true, is because of the persecutions and oppression it is, and has been subjected to, over many centuries, truelt proving the saying: "the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church".

As for these english songs, we are adopting more, instead of our heritage, the book of Proverbs tells us: "Do not remove the landmark your fathers have set" as Coptic hymns, with their beautiful and impossibly incomparable melodies, Coptic culture as the way our fathers and ancestors lived, Coptic art with it's aesthetics and incomparable artefacts, and indeed our mother church, the True Bride of Christ always endeavoring for the salvation of her children are more precious than anything we have and our what make us proud of our heritage

pray for my weakness

JG
  • I agree with the both of you, both postings are well taken.

One thing I would like to add is the poetic component that is lost in translations.  If you look at the different Psalis and Theotokias, they have considerable rhymes and plays on words in the syntax that are both charming and uplifting in their usage.  Unfortunately, this is lost in translation.  Another reason to emphasize the Coptic.

This does not take away from the possibility of having parallel columns for translations, and for that matter a stronger emphasis on education of the meanings of the chants and hymns.

Living in the Diaspora is difficult!  Living spiritually in the Diaspora is substantially more difficult.
  • Gentlemen,

What do we do?

Do we promote Coptic hymns and therefore coptic as a language?  (we CANNOT sing coptic hymns without teaching the coptic languages).

Do we just use protestant songs ?? (for me, although they are "theologically correct" are not at all "orthodox" correct, nor as a matter of fact, spiritually correct. These songs mock the teachings of our Church. If you look closely, you'd see that we are taught to pray from the Agpeya. No matter, how we feel, no matter how we are, we are taught to use the words of the agpeya as our own words. If we feel threatened, or people are against us, so we can find a psalm that corresponds to how we feel. With protestant hymns, they take this "spirituality from you". They encourage your emotions to be expressed. Our emotions come from our hearts, and therefore we are trusting the heart to say something holy when in the Orthodox approach, this is the organ that needs medication and treatment, and is not "clean" to be trusted, so we pray from the words from the Psalms as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

You see the dangers of English songs???

The next question is this:
    ------------------------

Do we force people to learn Coptic??

If they refuse, do we accept that the English mass can be done using the translated Coptic hymns (ie in the English language)??

I remember once, i was doing the tasbeha with some guys, and i realised that not only they were pronouncing it incorrectly, BUT they didnt even understand a word they were singing. What good is that??? Is there ANYTHING beneficial in this?? Suggesting to do the same verses in English brings the notion that if we are now singing in English, why not go a step further and sing something "made" for the English language (and the options are obviously what we have in the Catholic/Protestant denominations).

Its a hard call.

Perhaps a Coptic revival IS needed. But how?

• God forbid that we use Protestant hymns! That would ruin our church, in my honest opinion. We need to promote the revival of Coptic and begin to teach first a select group of individuals, who would then go on to teach a congregation at a church. One very necessary step, however, would be creating a standard, modern Coptic lexicon, or dictionary. It would need to be Coptic-English if we are to focus on the current generation. We would then proceed to distribute a copy to every family of the congregation. As far as the actual language, we would need to use the Bohairic Dialect, which is the dialect we use in the Divine Liturgy. Also, we need to induce the elimination of the 'Coptic-English' horror that we see.

So, in short:
    1. Create a standard Coptic lexicon.
    2. Teach the alphabet CORRECTLY, while eliminating 'Coptic-English'.
    3. After the alphabet, we would proceed to begin simple reading and then advance to perhaps classical theological works.
    4. Regularly celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Coptic.

Naturally, steps 2 and 3 would take place in the Sunday School classrooms - after the actual lesson on how to apply Orthodoxy in our lives.

Anyway, that would be the 'ideal' way to do it. The main hurdles would be the dictionary and getting people to support the notion of revival. Enthusiasm is key for such a large vision to take material substance.

Please pray for me.
  • Dear Severus, CertifiedOrthodox, ilovesaintmark, and josephgabriel,
    I can see your points about the language dying out in all of the countries except Egypt, and I understand everything mentioned, but I actually believe that we are currently going into a revival of the Coptic language because some Churches in the Diaspora actually make PowerPoints for teaching Coptic as a language, and even translating hymns takes much knowledge in Coptic. So, our Church is still united in the language Coptic, and it seems very likely that the future still holds Coptic as its unifying language. Besides, Coptic will also have to stay because many hymns in Arabic and English cannot completely fit the original Coptic tunes that were given to them. So, I can just about guarantee that Coptic will stay around for a long time, as it has for the past 2000 years.
  • All points are well taken, and I am glad there are voices with fervor on the issue.

I would sum up my solution in a more basic way, probably too simplistic.  It would naturally take a longer path, but a foundational set that would help for generations to come.  That is:  a strong seminary and a strong monastic system in the Diaspora.  I apologize for the generalization, but on the East Coast, the former is anemic at best and the latter non-existent.

These (seminary and monasticism) are the core for civilization revival.  I believe in a revival not only of a language but also of the entire civilization.  There has to be a systematic approach for a revival.  A foundational basis includes all aspect of civilization.  If one concentrates solely on the language, there is a difficulty in using that as a single root for a vineyard to grow.  I have not seen on a broad spectrum any cultural aspects that extend beyond the language as a focus point.

Our culture includes the pharaonic period.  Yet, it is almost an absent feature of representation in our churches, whether in presentations, decorations, etc.

Maybe I am an idealist, or a foundationalist, but as with any solid baseball team there is a basis in fundamentals and a multilevel approach.

I like that name Severus.  I wonder why the Coptic Church does not have any Churches (that I know of) named after the great saints:  Dioscorus and Severus?  Are there any in the Diaspora?  (I guess I should do a search before I make that comment).  That as an example, in and of itself, identifies cultural, historical, and civilization that we, in the diaspora are lacking.  Have you ever noticed or wondered that there are no medalions of St. Mark?  Yet, he is the one that re-introduced Our Lord to Egypt.

Since, idealism, is simply that, then I would say that each community in a small sense or the given diocese, in a larger sense, have to decide on the approach and solution that would be appropriate on a situational basis.  I think that is the only short term real solution.  All the things mentioned previously are all possibilities and most definitely they are correct by the reasonable sense.
  • The use of the coptic language isnt going down. There are always gonna be those muallemin even in the generations to come that will know coptic and teach it to the other people. The Arabic Language will probably end in these in countries within the next twenty years. I am sure of that. All the old generation people will die, and everyone will speak english/coptic in the liturgy, or french/coptic/ It will happen.
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6063.msg80698#msg80698 date=1199225146]
    Dear Severus, CertifiedOrthodox, ilovesaintmark, and josephgabriel,
    I can see your points about the language dying out in all of the countries except Egypt, and I understand everything mentioned, but I actually believe that we are currently going into a revival of the Coptic language because some Churches in the Diaspora actually make PowerPoints for teaching Coptic as a language, and even translating hymns takes much knowledge in Coptic. So, our Church is still united in the language Coptic, and it seems very likely that the future still holds Coptic as its unifying language. Besides, Coptic will also have to stay because many hymns in Arabic and English cannot completely fit the original Coptic tunes that were given to them. So, I can just about guarantee that Coptic will stay around for a long time, as it has for the past 2000 years.

Hi Aem,

But what do you feel is the best way forward?

Although none of us wish the Coptic language and songs to die out, they are just languages, and the effort in making people learn a language just to pray in is hard. Its also very important, spiritually speaking, to pray in a language that is native to you. Coptic is no longer native to anyone. Its no longer our mother tongue.

It really is completely unhealthy (spiritually speaking) to pray in a language that is not your mother tongue.

On the other side, the Orthodox Spirituality (outside of the Agpeya) is based on Coptic hymns written IN the coptic language (or Greek language).

Here's my suggestion
    --------------------

a) For all group prayers, we should only use the Agpeya. No english song that is not from the Coptic Church, nor translated from ANY of the official Church books. We cannot use that.

b) In the mass, everything can be done in English with the exception of "Agios Otheos".

c) What do we do with hymns that are associated with great feasts that are sung EVERY sunday:

1) Apenshois ?? This cannot be sung in English NOR arabic. Its part of the mass, and its words are part of our culture
          2) What about the tasbeha. This perhaps MAYBE sung in Italian, or Arabic, but I can assure u, that in French, or Spanish, it doesn't really go too well?? What can be done for these??
          3) Passion week songs? They are also all in coptic - We cannot take these away.

Guys, there is still a problem here: We still have Coptic in our mass/liturgy/vespers/etc that we cannot remove, NOR replace and yet this Coptic language is alien to our mother tongues (which most likely will happen to be either English or Arabic).

What then is the answer??

Today, most of us, will learn the Coptic hymns, and know the meaning in our heart. However, the problem remains that not all verses of a Coptic hymn will make sense to us; only those that we have bothered to learn. I remember once during the period of kiahk, one of the die-hard Coptic deacons did a solo act in Church and sang some stuff in Coptic that no one had ever heard of. I walked up to him to see what the arabic said at least, and i found that i couldnt really read the arabic that well either. I hate fanatism, and I feel that it is approaching fanatism to sing things in a language that is alien to us.

I know many foreign nationals that sing english songs (pop songs) when they come on the radio; they HAVE no idea of the meaning, they just have heard it 100 times, so they know it off by heart. When I explained to them what it meant, they were astonished (in this case, it was "Welcome to the Hotel California"). They all knew the words, they ALL could read, but it because the language was foreign to them, they missed out on a lot of information in the song that explained that the "Hotel California" wasn't such a "lovely place" after all. In fact, it was a place full of satanic rituals.

What about the mistakes in our understanding when something is being sung in Coptic!?? What is happening here??

Even if you teach me Coptic, and I know it, Coptic becomes a 2nd language. Its STILL NOT my mother tongue. Secondly, for it to be my mother tongue, the work-effort that I must do is ENORMOUS; I mean, its hard enough learning the hymn with all the hazzat's, and now we have to learn an entire language?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that learning Coptic is futile, i'm just highlighting the future issues that could arise if Coptic was enforced: no matter what happens, its no longer our mother tongue, and praying in an alien/foreign language is not spiritually beneficial. We then become like parrots with really good intentions. Through understanding, the words should penetrate my heart and lead me to repentance (this, in a nutshell is the Orthodox Way). Apparently, everything said, done, written in the Coptic Church is to lead us to repentance.

I think gents we need to be a little creative here with ideas.

Now: look at this:
    =============

The Coptic Diaspora in Italy HAVE NO PROBLEMS with the mass, the tasbeha, the hymns in Italian. It even sounds better in italian than in Coptic (i'm NOT kidding!). I don't know what to say, they can sing in Italian using the Coptic melodies, and bingo, they are 100% compatible.

But the issue comes with the English language. The Coptic hymns in English do not work. Apenshois DEFINATELY doesn't work in English. Agios Otheos is in Greek, and we all know why that was in Greek, and we're happy to have that in Greek, but, nothing else will match.

What do we do with the arabic songs for Kiahk?? There are songs written in arabic only. They are not Coptic. Is arabic our language!?? No! Its not our language. Yet, there are approved songs sung in major occassions written in arabic.

I have an idea:

look:

Do you know the hymn Epshois Efnoti (its sung during the liturgy after the priest says "the Angels cry out saying:" and the deacon says "eproskhomen"). In arabic its called "Ayo-hal Rab il Qowat". In English its called "O Lord of Hosts".

This, believe it or not is COMPLETELY Psalm 81 (if i remember correctly). Its typical Orthodox. We just pray from the Psalms. Now, I admit, NOTHING fits the description of these words as much as the Coptic melody that we sing it in; but what about just keeping the words and paying someone like a muscian to create the "English" Equivalent melody??

I don't know... ANA hAyRAN!!! This problem is bugging me sooo much. I hate going to Church and not understanding a word of Coptic, and having no translation to help me, and even with the translation I feel i'm not praying in complete understanding nor concentration as I'm having to focus on understanding the translation rather than praying; and what BUGS ME MORE is hearing protestant songs.

I think that's the answer. I just said it: It bugs us more to hear protestant songs than to sing in a language that is alien to me, so therefore we should use what we have (i.e. Coptic) and stick to it, and understand as BEST as we can.

But the last problem is this: What about those that do not think like me (or like u)?? what about those who truly believe that we should be using English songs (protestant OR catholic) in the mass, liturgy, vespers, minor feasts/major feasts etc than pray in a language that is alien to us???

What do we do???
  • The best solution to this widespread issue is making the Coptic language familiar to us. Even if it is not our main language is day-to-day conversation, we can still use it alot - think of the Psalmodies, Liturgies, and all the other services that we do! Eventually, we will come to embrace it as the language we SHOULD be using - mother tongue or not, it was the language of the great Patriarchs, Confessors, Martyrs, the righteous Pillar of Faith - the evolution of the language of God's chosen nation!

"Blessed be Egypt My people" (Isaiah 19:25)

And as for your comment:

b) In the mass, everything can be done in English with the exception of "Agios Otheos".

This, as you have noted, is a Greek hymn. And what about 'Alleluia Fai Pe Pi'? 'Hiten'? These CAN NOT be converted...they really lose thier meaning!

As I have mentioned, we need to familiarize ourselves with the language. As a new generation, this may not be easy, but really, we must make a strong effort to do so.

ilovesaintmark:
    These are excellent points...it would be great to see an increase in seminaries and monasteries. But, would these organizations then proceed to teach Coptic?

And also, that question about churches' names is excellent.
  • Severus,

They would be centers for learning the different aspects of "Coptic" (the language, the heritage, and history).  Again, I do not believe the issue to be just the language, but rather a lack of cultural identity.  It is not fully part of the being of the person to inspire them to want to go forward with any acquisition of that culture.  Things that are part of our being inspire us to acquire more for that being.  If you love a musical instrument you will practice more and more.

I will make an assumption that we are all in love with the Orthodoxy of the Coptic Orthodox Church and are devoted to its nurture.  However, I do not feel that that there is a love affair with the Coptic aspect of being Coptic.  Either that or that it is being taken for granted.

My main thoughts for the seminaries and monasteries are for them to be leadership centers for all aspects of the Coptic existence.  Unfortunately, the distances that make up the vast expanse of the diaspora detract from direct episcopal guidance and leadership on a regular basis.  To put it simply, the vastness of the diaspora swallows up resources.

Personally, I find the English repulsive in the Liturgy, despite having been raised in the United States for most of my life.  I was born in Egypt.  I accept it in the Liturgy in the Christian regard for those who do not appreciate or understand Coptic.

I think the main question has to be answered initially:  Are we the Coptic Orthodox Church or are we the Egyptian Orthodox Church?  (BTW:  before anyone chimes in, I know that Coptic means Egyptian, but in my sense they are not equivalent terms).

If we are the Coptic Orthodox Church, then we have to break away from the yolk and culture of arabism, and their associated religions.  I come back to the fact that we need to fall in love with the full spectrum of our cultural identity.  I applaud people for naming their children after Coptic saints. 

In all of my introductions to Americans, I never introduce myself as an Egyptian.  I make a symbolic gesture to my ancestors and my faith by introducing myself as a Coptic.  This in and of itself fosters a conversation thereafter whether or not the person knows what "coptic" is.  Maybe this can be a gesture that our people to use to educate the populus around us.  Afterall, we are instructed to be a 'light to the world'.  The benefit for our own regard is that it reminds us of our heritage.
  • You know ilovesaintmark, I actually introduce myself as Coptic also :)

I agree with the breaking away from Arabism, but that really is a HUGE step - it would be far easier to break away from English, on which I share the same view as you with regards to its usage in liturgical services. However, we must be fair: it still does to job of carrying our prayers to God, and the fact that we understand it perfectly is obviously a benefit.

• I think the diaspora should have a Church that is of the native tongue of the land it resides where they can have communion, and those who wish to speak predominantly Arabic and Coptic have there own Church. The Coptic language has nothing to do with Christ, nor the Church really. Most of our prominent theologians spoke and wrote prolifically in Greek. Keeping the Coptic heritage is fine, but the diaspora should in future generations have a Church of their own. After several generations we will have a dramatic decline in Coptic because the youth will want something that speaks to them, and what Church should deny them that? I like the fact that there is a British Orthodox Church in which Copts can go to, or the French OC in France. Perhaps if that was also available in America and Australia? I am not saying no COC in the diaspora, but I think the diaspora should choose without having to convert just so they don't have extra hardships in understanding the Mass. When the St Paul the Apostle went to the Gentiles he spoke as the Gentiles, and when he went to the Jews, likewise he spoke in a language they can understand. This aspect should be available. I understand the Coptic heritage is a unique and full of spirituality, but many Copts are leaving because some Priests insist in using just Arabic and Coptic. I can't even have confession, because the Priest can only talk casually in Arabic. He said I knew Arabic the least- I just wonder if other Coptic youth are not going because a relationship can not be had?

The decline in Coptic is for a reason, and you must appreciate that it is a response to the youth wanting something more relevant and wanting something they can understand.
  • We should try to revive the language clay. If we can just get the youth interested in it, we would be doing a great thing to preserve our identities as Copts.
  • I am curious, Clay, why do you call yourself Coptic?  I do not mean it as an insult, but I am trying to understand the consistency in what you are saying.  You wish to dissociate the language from the services, but you do not want to dissociate yourself from the identification.

I feel your frustration in that there may not be the best recipe for you to try to find your place, but I also sense that there is a certain "coptic" portion in your being yearning to emerge.  Or, why else would you even call yourself a Coptic, rather just an Orthodox Christian.

For myself, I have further identified myself as "Orthodox--first" and everything else as second.  Whether I am Coptic, or American, what is important that I try to uphold in my life the Orthodoxy that was passed to me by my fathers.  Being Coptic is an added blessing that opens other doors to maintaining that orthodoxy.  Let us be exact, the Coptic Church has been the major foundation for most of the structure of Christian Theology.  Just because the world has forgotten does not mean it did not happen.

There are many Coptic manuscripts that have been lost, and in a lot of senses there has been a misrepresentation that our fathers wrote in Greek.  One must keep certain facts about history into perspective:  many Coptic manuscripts were translated to Greek, they survived because they were outside of the sphere of destruction of the Islamic tides that swept through the Middle East.  Moreover, I can personally recount that many priests have mentioned to me that they witnessed the burning of many books and manuscripts in the monasteries before the monastic revival under Pope Shenouda (God grant him a long long life for all of our sakes).  Monks would use these manuscripts as fuel for the ovens in order to bake the korban for the Liturgy.  It is amazing to think of the things that have been lost because of negligence on one side and persecution on the other!

My understanding of the British Orthodox and French Orthodox is that they are indigenous to their homelands.  The reason for their presence in the Coptic Orthodox Church in each case is of a different etiology and evolution.  I would not put it in the same regard as the immigrant portion, the Copts, as they reside in the lands of immigration, as His Holiness puts it.

Even putting it in pragmatic terms, where are the native born Americans that would be available to shepherd such a branching Church jurisdiction?  There are not enough American converts to merit such a set-up, nor are there any that would assume the positions of fatherhood and leadership.  As it is we are having difficulty keeping the attention of the "native" congregants.  The issue comes from the distractions of the Western existence.  It is better to return to the same tools and focus that our ancestors used.

We owe Our God to preserve our orthodoxy, and we owe the blood witness of our ancestors to preserve our Coptic heritage--in that order.
  • I personally was born in America - missed being born in Egypt by 2 months!

I dislike the environment that America has created for itself. Everything seems based on promiscuity. Everywhere you look, you can see references to alcohol, drugs, smoking, immorality, and so on.

Enough disgression, however. As far as reviving the language, (seems that I can not stress this enough), We need to capture the youth's interest in learning the language. How though? This is really the key.
  • Severus: God forbid that we use Protestant hymns! That would ruin our church, in my honest opinion.

It does ruin the Church, but it is a late cry, for Protestant songs and hymns are already in full circulation in the Coptic Orthodox Church. They have been admitted into the liturgy and are chanted during communion occasionally. While the Body and Blood of the Lord Christ are being distributed to the faithful, the faithful chant songs originating from those who deny the presence of the Lord in the Eucharist.

A visit to the youth group meetings, the graduate meetings and the university meetings, the ones that shape the future of the Church, is enough to know the extent of the intrusion of our dear brothers' methods and approach to faith in our daily worship. It has created a culture where acquiring an Orthodox mind set is almost impossible, and "FOBish" kind of.

A look at our libraries will reveal a sad reality. An inquiry about the servant's preparation class lessons will bring us face to face with the Protestant beast. The church structure in North America is protestant like, adopting the "pastor-congregation" and not the "priest-altar-flock" model. 

Chanting in Coptic will not add anything to the congregation if it is Protestant minded. There has to be at least a basic understanding of Orthodoxy for the appreciation of the Coptic culture and making full use of it. What difference does it make if I chant "Ekhristos Aftonf" while I do not live the resurrection due to heretical/incomplete views dominant in the church that obstruct my worship and cut me off the fountain of life ? What is the benefit if I read St. Shenouti's coptic manuscripts while I do not relate to the basic foundation upon which the Giant of Upper Egypt expands ?

I am all for Coptic language, and I believe it necessary to revive some sense of identity in the youth and adults alike, but they have to be Orthodox first. 
  • OK Gentlemen,

Let's summarise:

Here are the pros and cons of each solution:

PROS OF Enforcing Coptic in the Sunday School Curriculum.
    =====================================

1) We are 100% Orthodox compliant
    2) We avoid protestant and catholic songs. Actually, I spoke to the author of this catholic song. I told her i thought it was very beautiful actually, and the tune was very compelling also. she turned to me and said :"Oh, I got that from the Orthodox Church.
    3) By maintaining our coptic language, we also distance ourselves from arabism.

CONS OF Enforcing Coptic in the Sunday School Curriculum.
    =====================================

1) We will be singing things we hardly understand (or perhaps "barely" understand)
    2) Most likely we'll have to introduce Catholic/Protestant hymns one day in our Church as official hymns that will replace anything in Coptic.
    3) Speaking in Coptic causes a division between Copts and non-Copts in Egypt. Rather Egypt being united in one culture and identity of language, we'll be raising individuals who will be so pro-Coptic, that they'd probably end up having a civil war to separate "muslim, arabic speaking Egypt" from "coptic, Christian" speaking Egypt. I don't know if that's a good idea. We are all united in Egypt. Our religions should not divide us, and by persuing Coptic as a language we are creating a divide. As Christians, we should be more interesting in sharing our commonality with our fellow Egyptians, not rejoicing in our differences.

WHat do u all think??

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6063.msg80709#msg80709 date=1199243716]
    I am curious, Clay, why do you call yourself Coptic?  I do not mean it as an insult, but I am trying to understand the consistency in what you are saying.  You wish to dissociate the language from the services, but you do not want to dissociate yourself from the identification.

I feel your frustration in that there may not be the best recipe for you to try to find your place, but I also sense that there is a certain "coptic" portion in your being yearning to emerge.  Or, why else would you even call yourself a Coptic, rather just an Orthodox Christian.

I enjoy the heritage of the Coptic Church: the Saints, the Martyrs, the struggles, our liturgy, our tribute to Monasticism, our theologians such as St Cyril and Athanasius etc. But I fail to see how that really falls to language? I am fine for certain hymns to be sung in Coptic, but I do not see the real problem?

I also agree about the Protestant songs, they should be tested for Orthodoxy and then be introduced.

There is much talk about preserving our identity as Copts, but as a young adult I think that preserving our Orthodoxy or our Christianity is something that is more concerning.
  • Trying to reply to everyone singly is a little difficult, but here goes:

Stavro:  I was clapping when I read your comments.  You may not be Chrysostom (the Golden Tongue) but you have the Golden Fingers on the keyboard.  Unfortunately, that is the sad state of affairs.

Clay:  I think the issue is relevant to identity which goes beyond the language as an issue.  The language is an expression of culture and identity.  Our youth are having difficulty expressig their identity and finding it for that matter.  The rallying banner or beacon is their Coptic being, which the language is a particular component.  The culture also introduces the Orthodoxy of the Church and Faith.  It is not at the level of the Orthdox Faith itself, but it is a tie to it.

CertifiedOrthodox:  I disagree with one point that you make, and that there is 'unity in Egypt'.  We exist parallel to the Arabs in Egypt, but there is no unity.  We are marked as separates in nationality by the Constitution, the difference in dress, and the identification of religion on official paperwork.  This I mean about directly and indirectly.  They are paranoid about our presence in the country, since they know that we are the true heirs to Egypt.  It is no different than the Parable of the Vineyard, the renters, and the Rightful Son that Our Lord mentions.  They despise us as it is, despite the fact that the Copts have bled to defend Egypt in all of its wars.  We have to be what we are, not apologize for it, nor try to hide, or for that matter take on a veil of appearance to make anyone happy.

• ilovesaintmark, i feel you have just made a very valid contribution to the discussion with your point about unity in Egypt. You are very right about there being segregation etc., but back on the subject of coptic culture and hymns declining, in our church in the UK, I've started giving lessons to the younger children to encourage them to learn Coptic hymns, (basic stuff like hiten, whic will gradually build to Psalm Singari etc.) by the church buying a few i-Pods. I then come onto this site, download the alhans I want to teach, and the children are have the lesson in church, and then take them home for the week to learn. Its quite simplistic, but I suppose it is an application to revive the our roots through modern, and more appealing ways to our youth. Perhaps our venture into the outside world has it's blessings as well as it's shortcomings.  ;)

gb

joe
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=6063.msg80711#msg80711 date=1199256420]I am all for Coptic language, and I believe it necessary to revive some sense of identity in the youth and adults alike, but they have to be Orthodox first. 

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this. These conflicts never seem to be an issue of correct ecclesiology, correct theology, a sacramental view of our relationship with God, etc. in the minds of the more Protestant-like youth, but rather culture and language.

The sentiment normally put forward is "We have no problem with the theological stuff, but our church is so hung up about language and preserving cultural stuff that alienates the youth." Of course, the people who tend to say this have a thoroughly Latinised understanding of the fall, sin, and redemption (and therefore of Christ and the very core of our faith) and little knowledge of the "theological stuff."

When a priest allows Protestant songs to be sung at youth meetings, for example, it's seen by the youth as a victory for the English-speakers. Theology is given no thought at all.

As long as little or nothing is done to promote an Orthodox mindset, no real advancement can be made.
  • jg,

I salute you for your innovation.  I think there should be a lot of thought to seeking out innovative solutions to the things discussed thus far.

I do not think there to be a universal solution in every situation, but rather there should be a pool of ideas from which to pragmatically implement in a given community.  Resources are scarce and we should use them wisely.

I thank God I am a Coptic and for all those who share that heritage.  We are not better than any other people, but we have been entrusted with a sacred mission from which to teach the world.  It is not an exaggeration of reality or history that Christianity owes a great debt to the Coptic Orthodox Church for Its foundational basis in the formulation of Christianity.  Not to mention its fight against the heretical incursions.

One of the greatest methods of teaching relate to a life of example.  Our Master utilized many techniques to teach the Apostles and the people.
  • Stavro, your post was excellent. The part about the youth meetings was spot-on - and it will be noted with one of Orthodox11's points in a short while. which will bring up a question. However, if you could just expound on two certain points, that would be great.

First:
    Stavro said:

They have been admitted into the liturgy and are chanted during communion occasionally. While the Body and Blood of the Lord Christ are being distributed to the faithful, the faithful chant songs originating from those who deny the presence of the Lord in the Eucharist.

If you could furnish some quick examples of this, that would be great.

Second:
    Stavro said:

The church structure in North America is protestant like, adopting the "pastor-congregation" and not the "priest-altar-flock" model.

Maybe just explain this? How should a priest interact with his congregation?

And so, we now come to Orthodox11's excellent observation.

When a priest allows Protestant songs to be sung at youth meetings, for example, it's seen by the youth as a victory for the English-speakers. Theology is given no thought at all.

I think the solution actually lies in the priests' hands. If they stop their current Protestant hymns and begin to focus in a friendly and loving manner on our classic psalmodies and prayers, then what happens? The youth begin to embrace it. But how do we approach this problem with regards to our interaction with the Abounas? And in such a way that does not blatantly point out - "Hey! You are doing this ALL wrong!"?

I have personal experience in the matter as last year at a 3 day meeting, all we sung was Protestant hymns. Even the Holy Psalmody that we had (Abouna did not attend it with us), was all in English with maybe 5 lines Coptic max. How do we approach it? And how do we make youth that are already incased in the Protestant mindset open their eyes to the 'Eastern Way' of doing things? And also, what of those that do not even care about their denomination, or those who just go to the church for the socialization or activity aspect of it?

• Sorry, did I miss something? What does culture have to do with Christianity? I am sure that the Coptic pagans were as non-Christian as the various cultures the diaspora are settling in. Why can't we utilise the good aspects of our culture and develop our own Churches, expressing our Orthodoxy as the primitive Churches did. A Church is a living organism (the Body of Christ) and I think that creativity will provide the ultimate revival in the Church. And creativity would be expressing Orthodoxy in the various cultures they live in, taking the good and admonishing the evil. I know this is difficult, since yes, we have been introduced the concept of heritical ideas, such as Dyophysitism, and "Original sin". We also have a tendency now to less emphasise Christ as Pantokrator, and just Saviour (like the Western Churches). But these are the issues, not Coptic. Insisting on reviving Coptic is going to stiffle the growth of our Christian character. Our society already demands a lot of knowledge than ever before. The knowledge explosion of the last century has been tremendous, and I think for the average layman, and even our deacons have so much burden.
  • Nobody said that knowing Coptic was essential to salvation, we were just saying that it is essential to keeping our identity as Coptic Orthodox Christians.
  • clay,
    Severus is completely correct. Coptic isn't necessary for salvation. The problem is is that CertifiedOrthodox believes that Coptic is decreasing in all of the countries except Egypt. That would be a big problem because many of the hymns we sing in the liturgy are from the Coptic Language and cannot be translated and keep its tune ([coptic]Hiten[/coptic], [coptic]<ere ne Maria[/coptic], etc.).
  • Exactly my point; they should develop a new orthodox identity like the Evangelists did. Something that can bring Orthodoxy to the countries they settle in and can involve future generations of the diaspora whose links with Egypt will be inevitably nil.
  • Clay, a new identity would not exactly be 'Orthodox', right?  ;)

Like I said, the best way is just to introduce Coptic as part of curriculum. It is what differentiates us.
  • You think the way we sing, the style of the hymns, the way we draw our icons, and the language we use is Orthodox?