understanding the Greek Psali for the Three Saintly Children

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
"And also Your poor servant
Sarkis, make him without
condemnation, that we may
join all those and say, Praise
Him and exalt Him above all."

This is the last part sung in the Greek Psali for the Three Saintly Children. I copied it from the Holy Psalmody. I want to know, why do we ask God to make his servant Sarkis, without condemnation? Is this Sarkis the same person as St. Sarkis, who was a martyr in the early church (more specifically, the Armenian Orthodox Church)? If this is the same person, then why do we pray the following during this Greek Psali when he refused to renounce his faith and died a martyr? Please help me to understand... I don't know too much about these hymns

Jasmine

Comments

• St. Sarkis is the author of this hymn. There were many saints who wrote hymns another good example would be St. Athanasius who wrote omonogenees. So the reason why its there is cause he wrote it and wanted God to have mercy on him.

GB
    Tony
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=6025.msg80355#msg80355 date=1197657536]
    St. Sarkis is the author of this hymn. There were many saints who wrote hymns another good example would be St. Athanasius who wrote omonogenees. So the reason why its there is cause he wrote it and wanted God to have mercy on him.

GB
    Tony

Who is this St. Sarkis? I only know of one St. Sarkis.. I didn't know that there was another one. Where can I learn about him?
  • i think that sarkis the one who wrote the psalmody isn't a saint. I just think he's a normal person writing the psali. But that's a guess.. I could be wrong.

PK
  • Cantor Sarkis was a one who lived in egypt with his father, a priest, and then he became a priest and a hegumen in another city. i'll post the city latter in this post. he than became interested in the Greek language so he wrote the Greek Psali Arip-salin in midnight Tasbeha. He wrote the 9 Greek Roumi parts we say in kiahk vespers tasbeha. He is famous for writting greek hymns with coptic words planted in them......i'll post the exact info latter when i get it from the book.
  • The book says:
    "Father Sarkis: from Old Cairo. His father was Fr. Armya, priest of Sts.Apakir and John in Old Cairo. Than He served in the church of the Resurrection in el-Qods. Fr. Sarkis lived in the 15th century, and was ordained a priest on the he church of the Resurrection in el-Qods with his father. There he meet many Greeks and learned from them the Greek language. So he constructed some hymns in Greek like Arip-salin and the 9 Roumi parts that are chanted in Kiahk Vespers praises. The Roumi parts are constructed to have his name spelled out from every 1st letter of the 9 parts. Fr. Sarkis, who was named cantor Sarkis first, around 1492. May his blessings be with us all Amen.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6025.msg80383#msg80383 date=1197699501]
    The book says:
    "Father Sarkis: from Old Cairo. His father was Fr. Armya, priest of Sts.Apakir and John in Old Cairo. Than He served in the church of the Resurrection in el-Qods. Fr. Sarkis lived in the 15th century, and was ordained a priest on the he church of the Resurrection in el-Qods with his father. There he meet many Greeks and learned from them the Greek language. So he constructed some hymns in Greek like Arip-salin and the 9 Roumi parts that are chanted in Kiahk Vespers praises. The Roumi parts are constructed to have his name spelled out from every 1st letter of the 9 parts. Fr. Sarkis, who was named cantor Sarkis first, around 1492. May his blessings be with us all Amen.

Thanks for showing this to me! I really appreciate it :)