The Holy Theotokos St. Mary

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello to everyone.

I was just wondering about what we mean when we say that St. Mary is the mother of God. Is it safe to say that she is the mother of God the Son?

How can God the Father have a mother, if he created all of the cosmos, and everything? If God the Father was born, that would mean that he is limited, but we know that this does not make sense. Likewise, God the Son was not limited. There is a limit to our fragile human understanding and explanations. But the main issue is this: Can we call St. Mary the mother of God the Son? Or just the Mother of God?

Please pray for me.

Comments

• Be careful with that because i've heard that there was a heresy that said that she was Christotokos "the mother of Christ" and was fought by the church because how can you differentiate between Christ and god. Because Christ is God so do be careful. Anyone please correct me and/or inform my ignorance.
  • You are correct it is not right to say that she was just the mother of Christ because Christ himself said I am in the Father and the Father in me, so she is the THEOTOKOS, and even in the tasbeha we say [coptic]`;mau `nUioc :eoc[/coptic] which means mother of the Son of God, but the thing is He is still God
  • [quote author=Anba Bishoy link=topic=5879.msg78884#msg78884 date=1193698327]
    Be careful with that because i've heard that there was a heresy that said that she was Christotokos "the mother of Christ" and was fought by the church because how can you differentiate between Christ and god. Because Christ is God so do be careful. Anyone please correct me and/or inform my ignorance.

The term Christotokos (Birthgiver of Christ) was a compromise devised by the heretic Nestorius between the Orthodox who insisted on the term Theotokos (Birthgiver of God) and those heretics who held that she should be called Anthropotokos (Birthgiver of Man).

The problem with the terms Christotokos and Anthropotokos is that they are open to the interpretation that Christ was not fully God, something that is essential to our salvation.

[quote author=Severus link=topic=5879.msg78883#msg78883 date=1193696845]
    I was just wondering about what we mean when we say that St. Mary is the mother of God. Is it safe to say that she is the mother of God the Son?

Our Lady is called the Theotokos because she gave birth to God in the flesh. It was God the Son, not the Father or the Holy Spirit, Who became flesh for our sake. Therefore she is called Mother of God by virtue of her being the Mother of the Son of God.

So what you say is correct, although unnecessary in my opinion.

How can God the Father have a mother, if he created all of the cosmos, and everything? If God the Father was born, that would mean that he is limited, but we know that this does not make sense.

Well the Son was likewise the Creator of all the cosmos, without limits. But this does not mean He could not have been born in the flesh.

One must draw a distinction between Christ's eternal birth from the Father and His birth in time from the Virgin.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5879.msg78887#msg78887 date=1193699270]
    So what you say is correct, although unnecessary in my opinion.

What do you mean it is unnecessary. You are contradicting yourself, by saying she is the mother of God and should be called so but it is unnecessary. [glow=red,2,300]WHAT? EXPLAIN  [/glow]
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Orthodox11 was referring to Severus' post when Severus said that we should call St. Mary the Mother of God the Son as opposed to the Mother of God.  They are, in essence, the exact same titles, and so it is unnecessary to say 'Mother of God the Son'.  'Mother of God' is sufficient.
  • Okay makes sense. I thought he meant it is not necessary to call her theotokos. Thanks for clearing it up.  ;D ;D ;D
  • OK, I see. So, the title Mother of God is enough.

Thanks for that  :)
  • [quote author=Anba Bishoy link=topic=5879.msg78884#msg78884 date=1193698327]
    Be careful with that because i've heard that there was a heresy that said that she was Christotokos "the mother of Christ" and was fought by the church because how can you differentiate between Christ and god. Because Christ is God so do be careful. Anyone please correct me and/or inform my ignorance.

Yes you are right. Nestorius was the one who said that. A heretic who was patriarch of constantinople.
  • Does not the title "Theotokos" leave open interpretation that Christ is not fully Man also?

Perhaps Theoanthropotokos is a better title :P
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5879.msg78906#msg78906 date=1193748402]
    Does not the title "Theotokos" leave open interpretation that Christ is not fully Man also?

Perhaps Theoanthropotokos is a better title :P

Not entirely.  "Theotokos" means 'God-bearer' correct?  Since St. Mary bore God, and St. Mary is human, God, in order to have been born to a woman, would have to become Man.  Like begets like, and so humans beget humans, God begets God.  In the act of begetting God, God must have taken on flesh and become man so that the equation 'human begets human' holds.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5879.msg78907#msg78907 date=1193748666]
    Not entirely.  "Theotokos" means 'God-bearer' correct?  Since St. Mary bore God, and St. Mary is human, God, in order to have been born to a woman, would have to become Man.  Like begets like, and so humans beget humans, God begets God.  In the act of begetting God, God must have taken on flesh and become man so that the equation 'human begets human' holds.

Exactly. And "tokos" doesn't just mean to bear, as in to carry (which is phoros), but to give birth. Therefore, the notion that the Virgin just bore God in her womb without Him taking anything from her - i.e. the gnostic position that Christ's humanity was an illusion - is also excluded.

That being said, St. Cyril the Great had to spend considerable time and effort to defend himself against charges of Apollinarianism (that Christ only had one divine nature) which were levelled against him by the Syrian Church at the time - and so even that term was not completely without ambiguity, which is why we should appreciate the fact that any one statement of doctrine cannot wholly express divine reality and we should therefore be careful not to attach ourselves soley to one form of terminology to the exclusion of others.
  • That being said, St. Cyril the Great had to spend considerable time and effort to defend himself against charges of Apollinarianism (that Christ only had one divine nature) which were levelled against him by the Syrian Church at the time - and so even that term was not completely without ambiguity

There is no fault or ambiguity in the formula. The ignorant perceptions and interpretations of some arose from, well, ignorance, or worse, the adherence to heresy; but not out of any sort of reasonable misunderstanding of the formula. As you mentioned, the -tokos suffix denotes giving birth. People do not give birth to natures, they give birth to persons. The Theotokos title thus asserts the fact that the person whom she was giving birth to was the Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity--God. For anyone to argue that this undermines the idea that the one whom she gave birth to was fully human is, logically speaking, to suggest that God by virtue of being God is incapable of assuming complete humanity. It is an inference that logically holds upon Nestorian presuppositions, but it is not one that can be logically derived from the formula considered in and of itself--which stresses my main point: ignorance or heresy, not any inherent fault or shortcoming in the formula, is that which explains any misinterpretation of the formula.

P.S. Apollinarius did not teach that Christ had one divine nature. I don't think anyone in the history of Christianity ever held to such a view. Apollinarius' Christology was much more sophisticated than that. The crux of the problem concerned the place, role, and meaning of the soul.
  • Thanks guys- I have learnt a lot just from those few posts. You mentioned Apollinaris, and I did some research; I wonder if the following is correct?

As I understand it, Apollinaris (of Laodicea) believed that Christ were to be found the (i) human body and (ii) irrational soul(Spirit of God) (rather than the rational soul of a complete manhood). The rational soul is, as I am told, the controlling and determining chief of man- and thus, the possibility for doing good and evil by Christ. So, instead, Apollinaris believed thus that in Him was the (a) the perfect Godhead, but (b) not the perfect/complete Manhood.

He thought that two perfect entities/beings cannot unite, but become hybrid or compromise the other. He also believed that Christ could not have the possibility of doing evil in Him.

The second reason is obviously false, sense we know that Christ was tempted as much as we are, but without sin. The first reason, however, is probably due to trying to use human logic to understand a Mystery, which is intrinsically faulty. It reminds me of the statement that "only negative statements about God are wholly true."

GB. pp4m.
  • Well, any attempt to summarise the teachings of any ideology in one paragraph will inevitably suffer from oversimplification. As a decent, safe, and more than sufficient analysis of the various Christological heresies for the common layperson, I recommend Fr. T. Malaty's works, specifically his The Coptic Orthodox Church as a Church of Erudition & Theology, and his recent work, A Panoramic View of Patristics. Your parish bookstore/library should have these books.

On this point, however:

He also believed that Christ could not have the possibility of doing evil in Him.

The second reason is obviously false, sense we know that Christ was tempted as much as we are, but without sin.

The Church does not admit the possibility of Christ to sin, she simply denies the logic of Apollinarius which holds that Christ consequently could not have possessed a human mind/spirit.
  • How can Christ redeem our fallen humanity if He had not united His Divinity to it?...
  • Who here said Christ did not unite fallen humanity to His Divinity? Certainly not I.

You're drawing a logical conclusion which simply does not hold. The same logic (i.e. that the possibility of sin is a necessary feature of fallen humanity) was in fact employed by another heretic, the sixth century Phantasist Julian (who went as far as to argue that sin itself was in fact intrinsic to fallen humanity), who argued that Christ assumed a pre-fall humanity out of concern for the purity of Christ.

In response to both Apollinarius and Julian, the Church has acknowledged the legitimacy of their concerns (i.e. to preserve the truth that Christ could not have sinned), whilst rejecting their logic and the conclusions that follow from such logic (i.e. that Christ did not have a rational human soul or a post-fall humanity, respectively).

Sin is rooted in, and is ultimately a product of, the personal will, not the nature. The presuppositions which account for the inevitable sinlessness of Christ are in fact directly concerned with our salvation.
  • Theotokos = God-Bearer = Walidat Al-Elah
    This is perhaps a more precise name given to her, and was first used in the second century by Origen, if I am not mistaken. Since Mother of God may confuse people. The Bearer of God is more accurate. God the Creator and Infinite can have no Mother, because He is the Origin of All, God Incarnate has a fleshly mother who is the Pure Virgin St. Mary. This is why we call her the Bearer, or Birthgiver of God. This is why we do not see the term Mother of God, in those exact words very often in our hymnology (Timah-esnouti). We use Ti-Theotokos at least thirty times more.
  • [quote author=katanikhoros link=topic=5879.msg78966#msg78966 date=1193838717]
    Theotokos = God-Bearer = Walidat Al-Elah
    This is perhaps a more precise name given to her, and was first used in the second century by Origen, if I am not mistaken. Since Mother of God may confuse people. The Bearer of God is more accurate. God the Creator and Infinite can have no Mother, because He is the Origin of All, God Incarnate has a fleshly mother who is the Pure Virgin St. Mary. This is why we call her the Bearer, or Birthgiver of God. This is why we do not see the term Mother of God, in those exact words very often in our hymnology (Timah-esnouti). We use Ti-Theotokos at least thirty times more.

If you're speaking about which translation of the Greek word QeotokoV is more accurate, then Birthgiver of God is the most accurate (God-bearer would be QeoforoV, which is a title given to numerous saints - it does not sufficiently convey the notion of child birth).

However, I do not believe Theotokos can be said to be "more accurate" than the term Mother of God. Yes, it can lead to confusion among those who are ignorant of the Church's teaching, but so can pretty much everything to do with the Incarnation, not to mention the Trinity which has been a crux for countless numbers of people.

At least in the Byzantine iconographic tradition, the letters MR QU, an abbreviation of Mhter Qeou (Mother of God), appear on every icon of the blessed Virgin.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=topic=5879.msg78934#msg78934 date=1193798128]
    There is no fault or ambiguity in the formula. The ignorant perceptions and interpretations of some arose from, well, ignorance, or worse, the adherence to heresy; but not out of any sort of reasonable misunderstanding of the formula.

I suppose my choice of words was somewhat reckless. My point was mainly that no single word or formula can really stand alone without a context or sufficient explanation.

P.S. Apollinarius did not teach that Christ had one divine nature. I don't think anyone in the history of Christianity ever held to such a view. Apollinarius' Christology was much more sophisticated than that. The crux of the problem concerned the place, role, and meaning of the soul.

While I realised my statement was a gross oversimplification, I had not intended it to be so to the point of error, so I appreciate the correction.
  • Orthodox11 is correct, the best translation would be mother of God because the word [coptic]Pi;eoremoc[/coptic] means beholder of God which is a title given to many saints including St. Mark the Apostle
  • Dear Iqbal,

Sin is rooted in, and is ultimately a product of, the personal will, not the nature.

This is something new to my understanding, I really appreciate your clear and concise explanation and it can explain why the saints dose not sin because their will is joined with the will of Christ.  St John the Apostle in his first epistle concluded that " Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil " 1 John 3:9-10
    I understand that after baptism we acquire such nature, “ If any one is in Christ he is a new creation: the old things passed away behold, new things come “ . 
    The same statement wouldn’t be correct before the Divine Incarnation and subsequently the baptism? I mean the people of the old did not have such renewed nature which we have gained it after the salvation so their sins were the result of their nature not of their will, Am I making sense  These are my questions:

+ Does the nature we have now is the same one as that of Adam before he sinned?
    + What is the difference between the sinlessness nature of Christ and that of Adam before his fall?
    + We know that St Mary did not sin, but what is the difference between her sinlessness and that of Christ?

Sorry Iqbal, for all my inquires, I appreciate if you can explain all that points, many thanks.   
  • I thought that after the fall, we inherited a corrupted nature? That we were imputed this sinful condition of each person (vitiositas). I allude to Makarios's Enchiridion "The Original Sin in the first-created should be understood as their own sin as well as the sinful condition of their nature in which the Offence led them. Whereas in Adam's descendants it is the sinful condition of man's nature with which he is born in the world".

That the Original Sin had caused a loss of justice and desire of the flesh (concupiscentia) darkened (but did not destroy the "image" of God in man). That Adam no longer was Sanctified by the Divine Grace, and thus he become "...natural man...who according to the flesh and has only the inborn and natural prudence(Cyril: To Romans) and thus scoffs at the "things of the Spirit of God" (1 Cor. 2:14).

As I understand it, St Mary was cleansed of the Original Sin by the Holy Ghost.

I was confused. If Christ did not take on the corrupted nature, then how are we saved? I thought He assumed our flesh to Sanctify it by His Divine.

This is where I want clarification:
    At this I went back to "On the Incarnation" and I read, "Nor did He will merely to become embodied or merely to appear; had that been so, He could have revealed His divine majesty in some other and better way. No, He took our body, and not only so, but He took it directly from a spotless, stainless virgin, without the agency of human father—a pure body, untainted by intercourse with man. He, the Mighty One, the Artificer of all, Himself prepared this body in the virgin as a temple for Himself, and took it for His very own, as the instrument through which He was known and in which He dwelt. Thus, taking a body like our own, because all our bodies were liable to the corruption of death, He surrendered His body to death instead of all, and offered it to the Father. "

So, if He did take on the corrupted nature he would have been liable of death- but because He took a pure body, He was able to surrender it by His own ammunition- a voluntary sacrifice to the Father. Hence, can save us.

Thus the necessity of Baptism to become the "new creation in Christ" by this "washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

It that the crux of it?
  • Yeah you pretty much got the gist of it. and as you said we don't inherit the sin adam committed but the corrupt nature that was put on him by sinning. and by being baptized we are washed of this corrupt nature or "stain" of sin and made worthy to recieve the Holy Spirit. The best answer to this is exactly where you found that quote from "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius. It gives great detail and understanding to this subject
  • Dear Safaa,

This is something new to my understanding

Unfortunately, I fear it will be "new" to many, but in actual fact it is as ancient as the Fathers. The greatest of our scholars to expound upon this doctrine was St Severus (Sawiros) of Antioch. It was a very important doctrine of his because it was essential to his refutation of Julian who caused a great stir in the Church at a time where the Church had enough problems on her plate. The dispute between St Severus and Julian was quite a significant one that affected the whole Church, so it would not be a stretch for me to suggest that in the days of St Severus, and even subsequent to his departure from this world when the issues surrounding his conflict with Julian were still very much alive in conscience of the Church, the entire Church was very aware and familiar with this doctrine that seems "new" to many of us today. The only explanation we can offer therefore is that, as much as our Church has improved in its education system under the direction of H.H. Pope Shenouda III, it still has a long way to go in terms of sufficiently reviving the pure teachings of the Fathers. There are many great Fathers of the Church whose writings have only just started to emerge in the spotlight—and no thanks to us either, only thanks to those scholars who have an academic interest in our Fathers.

The same statement wouldn’t be correct before the Divine Incarnation and subsequently the baptism? I mean the people of the old did not have such renewed nature which we have gained it after the salvation so their sins were the result of their nature not of their will, Am I making sense

The idea that sin is rooted in the will and not the nature, has nothing to do with the consequences of the Incarnation, it simply has to do with ontology and metaphysics (I apologise for using these words, but I'm not sure how else I can put it). Natures are impersonal substances—they cannot choose to do an action, it is always the personal will, that is ultimately expressed by the hypostasis (hence to be contrasted from the natural human will) that decides one's ultimate course of action. The nature can influence the will, but it does not force the will in any particular direction. The need for the restoration of our natures was that, although theoretically possible for one to be perfectly righteous in spite of the fall it was practically impossible--the influences of the world and of the demons, practically made it impossible for anyone to follow God in spite of the defects of their nature.

We must remember that the salvation of man is not simply to be found in the restoration of his nature, but also in the incapacitation of the afore-mentioned influences.

+ Does the nature we have now is the same one as that of Adam before he sinned?

Potentially, but not necessarily. Baptism doesn't automatically transform us to a pre-fall condition--it's not a magical formula. It re-establishes the potential to go back to our original state and to even surpass it beyond what Adam and Eve achieved, but it is ultimately up to us to work with God's Grace and His Holy Spirit to realise that potential.

+ What is the difference between the sinlessness nature of Christ and that of Adam before his fall?

Adam was sinless by Grace, until he rejected that Grace and fell into sin, whilst Christ was sinless in His humanity by virtue of the hypostatic union.

We know that St Mary did not sin, but what is the difference between her sinlessness and that of Christ?

The same answer as above. St Mary's condition can be likened to that of Adam and Eve. She is the new Eve, because unlike the old one, she consistently accepted and grew in God's Grace through perfect obedience to His will.

I hope I have been of some help.
  • Dear DT,

I thought that after the fall, we inherited a corrupted nature?

If Christ did not take on the corrupted nature, then how are we saved?

As I said in my last response to you:

Who here said Christ did not unite fallen humanity to His Divinity? Certainly not I.

The essence of my last response to you was: yes, we do inherit a corrupt nature, but ultimately our sins are not rooted in such a nature. Natures do not sin, persons do. Thus, yes, Christ did take on our corrupt nature, but this does not mean he necessarily had the potential to sin, because that potential is not established by the conditions of nature in and of itself.
  • Dear Iqbal,

Thanks a lot, you’ve been of great help

Baptism doesn't automatically transform us to a pre-fall condition--it's not a magical formula. It re-establishes the potential to go back to our original state and to even surpass it beyond what Adam and Eve achieved, but it is ultimately up to us to work with God's Grace and His Holy Spirit to realise that potential.

This statement can explain almost half of the holy Gospels and is a brilliant answer to the those in generals who reject the works as an essential element for the salvation of the soul. So when we hear Abouna saying to us “ The love of God the Father, the Grace of the only Begotten Son and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you “,  we realize that it is a fellowship between the Grace of the Holy Spirit and us to bring our will to be in communion with the Will of God And then the sparks will start. So no matter if we are baptized and, I might say even, partaking from the Holy Eucharist, if we do not walk in the Will of God, all our life on earth are in vain.
    This also explain the following :
    + The Parable of the ten virgins, the five foolish did not submit their will or did not work with the Will of God.
    + The verse that says “ Work out your salvation with fear and trembling “
    + When St Paul said “ I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith....”
    + “ The Kingdom of God suffers violence and the violent shall take it with force “
    + “ Do not grieve the Spirit, do not quench the Spirit, do not resist the Spirit. “
    God wills that all people to be saved, but at the end it depends where are our will!!!

Thank you so much Iqbal,
    It would be a good project if someone can collect all you writing on tasbeha and categorised for anyone interested on certain subject
  • Dear Safaa,

I'm glad my response was of some help.

On this point:

It would be a good project if someone can collect all you writing on tasbeha and categorised for anyone interested on certain subject

I would just like to make very clear that I have been blessed to be part of various institutions and to be in contact with certain people who have presented me with unique opportunities to discover the fruits and wisdom of many great Fathers--fruits and wisdom which have been collecting dust on obscure library shelves, hidden in articles of rare periodicals, and disguised in the characters of ancient languages. Ultimately, anything good in anything I have to say comes from God through the Fathers. Consider me the irrational instrument mechanically conveying what I have read and heard. Whether by coincidence or providence, I am in the position that I am and it would be wicked of me to keep all the priveleged information I have stored for myself and my own edification. On that note, I should inform you that I am already in the process of pursuing a number of publications for the diocese to present the wisdom of the Fathers in a coherent, systematic, and academic manner for the benefit of all. I am also in the process of setting up a website dedicated to this purpose; it's only a matter of time. Be sure to keep this project in your prayers, for the sake of His Holy Fathers and His Good Name which our Fathers have promoted in such an exemplary manner.
  • Dear Iqbal,

May the prayers of our holy Fathers give you wisdom, knowledge and strength to rediscover their pearls and fruits of their writing for the Glory of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ, the edification of His Orthodox Church and for the benefit of such unworthy one as myself.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=topic=5879.msg79021#msg79021 date=1193974036]
    On that note, I should inform you that I am already in the process of pursuing a number of publications for the diocese to present the wisdom of the Fathers in a coherent, systematic, and academic manner for the benefit of all. I am also in the process of setting up a website dedicated to this purpose; it's only a matter of time.

May God bless this work!

Until that time, would you consider posting a list of available books that you consider the most valuable in the study of dogmatic theology? It's a topic I would like to begin studying at some point in the near future, and some recommendations would be greatly appreciated (not just by myself, I'm sure).
  • Ya, me too. When I read all these posts about theology and dogma's I can't help but wonder where you find all this information. I really want to read more about these subjects, but patristic readings seem like an ocean of information and I have no clue where to start, what to read and how to differentiate between orthodox and heterodox teaching.